Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine management light not going off

Paul weeks

Hi have been loving the car and getting used to everything, just had my first problem, the orange engine symbol on the dash has stayed on when starting the car and then  stays on. The car still seems to do everything ok ??

Am I right in thinking this may be a sensor gone down ?  If so is it still ok to use and how exspensive to change ?

thanks in advance for your help Paul.

5 hours ago, Tomtit said:

You will need to have a scan done to find out which fault code(s) are present. This will narrow things down and make diagnosis easier.

Spoken like a seasoned professional Richard!

I believe that invariably the engine management light is not indicating a terminal problem although I for one would want to address the issue promptly.

Once you know the reason for it being on you will be able to consider what remedial action is required and how soon it needs addressing.

Good luck 

Anthony

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Spoken like a seasoned professional Richard!

I believe that invariably the engine management light is not indicating a terminal problem although I for one would want to address the issue promptly.

Once you know the reason for it being on you will be able to consider what remedial action is required and how soon it needs addressing.

Good luck 

Anthony

E.M.L.lights are not usually Red, so they do not indicate that immediate remedial action is necessary. Often indicative of a failed Oxygen Sensor.

• Like 1

On the SC430 there are 70+ engine fault conditions and 15+ transmission fault conditions that trigger the EML/MIL/CEL to come on. Some more serious than others. Anything major would result in the ECU shutting down the engine and not allowing it to restart. The next level down in severity would mean 'limp mode' where you would have restricted power just to get home. Lowest severity is where the driver may not notice any performance difference but could result in more fuel being used/high emissions etc.

Certainly a common cause is a failed oxygen sensor as these have a finite life and typically start to fail at 60k to 100k miles, but it is very important to get the error code(s) to help narrow down where the problem is.

All conditions will result in a MOT failure as checking the light first comes on with ignition and then goes out when the engine is start is part of the test.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links