Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Low engine oil message

Our GSF was last serviced in April 22 and has done approximately  2500 since. 

My week day commute is 7.5 miles each way and mostly in slow moving traffic but I do get to stretch it’s legs on the way home a few times a week. The water and oil are always up to temperature before this is done. 

Tonight after a bit of leg stretching on the way home, I pulled in to our drive where I was greeted with the Low Oil warning message. It would intermittently flick on and off before remaining on. It appeared again on restart. 

Now we have recently moved to a house where the drive is on  a fair incline (our previous drive was flat) so I pulled the car off the drive where the message disappeared and have left it on a flat bit of road outside our house. I have checked the oil and it appears to be full, so I am assuming the message is because of the incline of the drive? I would have expected it to account for this or am I simply expecting too much? 

2 minutes ago, F.A. said:

I would have expected it to account for this or am I simply expecting too much? 

Yes, expecting too much. Not sure how it could compensate for inclination (in which direction and by how much?)

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Yes, expecting too much. Not sure how it could compensate for inclination (in which direction and by how much?)

😂. Fair enough. 

I wonder why it’s only just done it today when we have been at this house for the past 2.5 months.  I check the oil twice a month and it doesn’t seem to have changed on the dip stick. 

3 minutes ago, F.A. said:

😂. Fair enough. 

I wonder why it’s only just done it today when we have been at this house for the past 2.5 months.  I check the oil twice a month and it doesn’t seem to have changed on the dip stick. 

Perhaps the level has only just dropped enough to cause the trigger? If the oil level is ok when measured 5-10 min after the engine (at full operating temp) is switched off and the car on level ground I wouldn't worry 👍

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, F.A. said:

Thanks @NemesisUK & @ColinBarber    Great advice as usual. It all makes sense, I just get a little paranoid in these situations 🤦🏽‍♂️

This would worry me too tbh! Although, if your drive's quite steep it's understandable. What happens if you park the other way round?

Another possibility is the lower ambient temps meaning the oil isn't quite as hot as it would be during the warmer months.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, Rob RCF said:

This would worry me too tbh! Although, if your drive's quite steep it's understandable. What happens if you park the other way round?

Another possibility is the lower ambient temps meaning the oil isn't quite as hot as it would be during the warmer months.

Good point about parking the other way around. Fortunately it hasn’t happened again since, so looks like it was due to the many reason everyone has mentioned above 👍🏾.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links