Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cystoscopy

Mr Vlad

35 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Yes Malcolm swimming is key with arthritis/ bladder/ bowel piles fissure conditions and for those swimming in the tropical sea daily a perfect fix for most conditions 

the Dead Sea, perfect for arthritis, so I'm told 

with regret, I can only manage a couple of trips a year so only get a little respite but thankful nonetheless

my surgeon also says the same swimming, is by far the best 

I’ll suggest, nay insist my local council pool sorts out this apparent lack of tropical sea availability here on Sheppey

Blimey I’m on an island in Kent and surely they can use natural sea water and “ tropicalise “ it for us local ratepayers …….  surely 😂

I wish 😇

Malc 

Having been diagnosed with enlarged prostate in my mid/late forties I was on tablets for many years until It got to the level of having to pee 6 > 7 times a night. Eventually I was put on the waiting list for surgery - no cancer present.  Seventeen months later after making a bit of a nuisance of myself I had  'prostate reduction' surgery. A couple of weeks with a catheter and all is good again.  :thumbsup:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

I’ll suggest, nay insist my local council pool sorts out this apparent lack of tropical sea availability here on Sheppey

Blimey I’m on an island in Kent and surely they can use natural sea water and “ tropicalise “ it for us local ratepayers …….  surely 😂

I wish 😇

Malc 

We used to have a salt water pool in hove, which was excellent. The salt water lido at saltdean is too cold for me at 19 degrees, so not really suitable 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Would arthritis and whatever be ameliorated should you go swimming I wonder 🤔

CBD balm? I've heard mention though know not a lot about it... 

34 minutes ago, PCM said:

CBD balm? I've heard mention though know not a lot about it... 

Tried it, and no not really. Likewise Tumeric is said to be good ,but when you break it down to actually ingest enough concentration of it to work you have to be eating it by the hundredweight and even then the jury would still be out on whether it was doing any good.

As it stands there is no known cure for Rheumatoid Arthritis ,but there are forms of medication that assist in managing it's impact although there is no universal fix that helps every individual. It is a trial and error process albeit they do have a pathway they adhere to. I've been through just about all of it now and I am not complaining despite the loss of functionality the alternative without the medication would be a nightmare of regular flare ups which are are awful.

Osteoarthritis though is different, because it is sourced by simple wear and tear rather than a break down in the auto immune system. That means heat treatment, gentle exercise are good to go. if it gets worse you can get cortisone injections that are usually a major positive for most people. if they stop helping then it's surgical replacement time. It's pretty much a process from mild to extreme loss of functionality with treatment tailored to each stage. The thing is it's not hopeless they can fix you pretty much.

The thing not usually mentioned is the mental impact of long term health problems. Without specifics betraying confidences my daughter is a mental health Psychologist working in that field and clearly it's a major issue for a lot of people. Getting people to a good mindset plays a major part in restoring a good quality of life. Always sounds a bit clique to talk about staying positive ,but the truth is you cannot separate out the physical from the psychological. The latter can play a big part in handling the former.

Phew 'Dr' Stephen signing off time i think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully the swimming seems to keep me happily blissfully unaware of all my aches and pains whilst I’m immersed ……. and today the sun shining thru the glass building threw a warm ray across us all pounding up and down those lanes …….. but I’m a slowcoach 😄

Malc 

• Like 1

"but I’m a slowcoach"

May be so, but you are certainly not a slowcouchpotatoe, so take a medal of your choice for staying in the fight.

Getting old is a fight you cannot win ,but you can certainly choose to lose more slowly  😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've found drinking Guinness, just one, every day does weird but wonderful things to joints. 

In 1985 I got knocked off my bike and basically my hip joint was cracked like an egg. Cartilage destroyed etc. Whilst in traction in hospital a couple of work mates smuggled in a few bottles of Guinness. One a day I had and had it brought in too.

After recovery and a catch up with the consultant he asked me "how do you think you've recovered so quickly "? I said well either my parents prayers or that I drank a bottle of Guinness every day I was in hospital. He dismissed the prayers but concured with the Guinness and with a laugh because he knew the ward I was in was really hard to smuggle alcohol in.

So Stephen why not try a Guinness a day? Just an idea.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've found drinking Guinness, just one, every day does weird but wonderful things to joints. 

In 1985 I got knocked off my bike and basically my hip joint was cracked like an egg. Cartilage destroyed etc. Whilst in traction in hospital a couple of work mates smuggled in a few bottles of Guinness. One a day I had and had it brought in too.

After recovery and a catch up with the consultant he asked me "how do you think you've recovered so quickly "? I said well either my parents prayers or that I drank a bottle of Guinness every day I was in hospital. He dismissed the prayers but concured with the Guinness and with a laugh because he knew the ward I was in was really hard to smuggle alcohol in.

So Stephen why not try a Guinness a day? Just an idea.

Strictly in the name of medical science I offer myself as a human testube !

Ps. Do we think a Black Velvet of Guinness and Scrumpy would work just as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure about Scrumpy because of the acids in it. I've forgotten what Black Velvet is, except for the song lol. 

Export Guinness which is available in bottles is a wonderful drink but its about, if memory serves, 6% hic!

Guinness has worked for many ailments over the years for many folk.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Guinness has worked for many ailments over the years for many folk.

it has from time to time put me into blissful oblivion 😇

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

it has from time to time put me into blissful oblivion 😇

Malc

T'is true the picture tells no lie. Probably where the term 'high as a kite' comes from.

drink.webp

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Guinness has worked for many ailments over the years for many folk

When my Father contracted what proved to be an ultimately fatal Pleurisy, he was prescribed (as I recall) a weekly case of Mackeson milk stout.  
(I believe it was also regarded as beneficial for women with an iron deficiency.)

I don’t think the claimed health benefits really stood up to investigation, but in the days when medical alternatives were of limited efficacy, it gave some psychological relief.

And actually, like real  Guinness, it was a rather pleasant drink.  😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LenT said:

When my Father contracted what proved to be an ultimately fatal Pleurisy, he was prescribed (as I recall) a weekly case of Mackeson milk stout.  
(I believe it was also regarded as beneficial for women with an iron deficiency.)

I don’t think the claimed health benefits really stood up to investigation, but in the days when medical alternatives were of limited efficacy, it gave some psychological relief.

You would want a lot of stout for that. I have had it twice and it is right up up there with having your sternum split open, because with both you really don't want to breath.

• Sad 1

Blimey Mackeson Stout. I forgot all about that drink. What I do remember is I knew this old woman who was a dear friend of my mother's. She said she drank a bottle a day and never had ailments. She lived to a right good age. 98 if memory serves. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey Mackeson Stout. I forgot all about that drink. What I do remember is I knew this old woman who was a dear friend of my mother's. She said she drank a bottle a day and never had ailments. She lived to a right good age. 98 if memory serves. 

I had an Uncle who did that ,but he died young run over by the dray delivering the stout.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

I had an Uncle who did that ,but he died young run over by the dray delivering the stout.

Ha they think I am joking ,but

His name was Wilf and he walked with a limp. It was the gout that caused the limp and the stout he loved that caused the gout. He was a lad and bold ,but he never grew old though his gout was cured by a dray full of stout.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, Mr Vlad said:

I've found drinking Guinness, just one, every day

I didn't know you could get Guinness in gallon bottles?

• Haha 3

On 11/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, LenT said:

Many many years ago i remember every Sunday dinner my grandad would bring my grandmother a bottle of Mackeson to have with her dinner. Happy days.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2023 at 8:43 AM, PCM said:

Hello all,

Well... I had my  Cystoscopy and Prostate Biopsy on Friday, at about lunch time. I was told it might be a bladder biopsy as well, but I don't think it was in the end. ( No pun intended. )

All the staff were brilliant.

ETC.

... About 10 days ago.

No results as yet.

Just an infection. So I am on antibiotics at the moment. Ones I have never heard of before. They finish tomorrow but seem to have worked.

( Quite a lot of side effects from the meds! )

• Like 1

Good to hear you are on the up !

Side effects, oh yes. I took Methotrexate for 3 years only changing from that at the start of this year. I basically spent 3 years in a semi fog-like state. Indeed, if I were still on them I wouldn't have the SC 430 and I wouldn't be on here, because the apathetic state 'kills' all interest. Sometimes the 'cure' is worse than the problem it's dealing with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, PCM said:

... About 10 days ago.

No results as yet.

Just an infection. So I am on antibiotics at the moment. Ones I have never heard of before. They finish tomorrow but seem to have worked.

( Quite a lot of side effects from the meds! )

You’ll be fine ( fingers xd ) and at least you’re not in that “ foggy like “ state wotsisname had earlier 😂

Us aged ones seem to bear with all sorts of challenges that hopefully we can “ wing it “ thru’ and come out the other side feeling lots improved 

Good luck 

Malc 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links