Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cystoscopy

Mr Vlad

Not sure why I'm posting this but I suppose it's because I'm wondering if anyone has had this done. The nearest I've had similar is years ago having an aids test. I'll never forget that test. 3 times a swab put up my pee tube. On the 3rd time I almost fainted.

I'm having this test because of my enlarged prostrate. Diagnosed just before covid set in and its taken this long to have this test done. I was prescribed Tamsulosin which I took for a few months but to no avail in helping my symptoms. 

Why I went to my doctors was because I was getting up 3 or 4 times a night for a wee. This was having such a negative effect on my life. Also it felt like I was desperate to go for a wee only to find a trickle came out. Not a good time of my life. So after a UV scan of my full bladder then empty bladder it was clear that my prostate was enlarged. 

Back to Tamsulosin. Funnily enough whilst on YouTube I kept seeing ads for prostate cures/relief etc. So I must have watched almost a hundred until this particular ad was different. Prostate Pro is the product I bought 2 years ago and a 2 year supply. Within 2 months I had a full night's sleep. OMG what a relief. Ok I spent about £400 but and a BIG but it WORKED. 

So I'm out of that product just. And this appointment comes along for next week. So I'm wondering if anyone has undergone a Cystoscopy and would care to share their experience of it being done.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Not sure why I'm posting this but I suppose it's because I'm wondering if anyone has had this done. The nearest I've had similar is years ago having an aids test. I'll never forget that test. 3 times a swab put up my pee tube. On the 3rd time I almost fainted.

I'm having this test because of my enlarged prostrate. Diagnosed just before covid set in and its taken this long to have this test done. I was prescribed Tamsulosin which I took for a few months but to no avail in helping my symptoms. 

Why I went to my doctors was because I was getting up 3 or 4 times a night for a wee. This was having such a negative effect on my life. Also it felt like I was desperate to go for a wee only to find a trickle came out. Not a good time of my life. So after a UV scan of my full bladder then empty bladder it was clear that my prostate was enlarged. 

Back to Tamsulosin. Funnily enough whilst on YouTube I kept seeing ads for prostate cures/relief etc. So I must have watched almost a hundred until this particular ad was different. Prostate Pro is the product I bought 2 years ago and a 2 year supply. Within 2 months I had a full night's sleep. OMG what a relief. Ok I spent about £400 but and a BIG but it WORKED. 

So I'm out of that product just. And this appointment comes along for next week. So I'm wondering if anyone has undergone a Cystoscopy and would care to share their experience of it being done.

It`s a very small World old pal as I`m having mine on Monday afternoon. I wish you well👍👍.

• Like 2

I've had bladder problems all my life, and it's not unusual for me to go about 12 times during the day and about 4 or 5 (maybe even 6) times during the night. After various tests and cystoscopies, the upshot is that there's nothing wrong, it's just ultra-sensitive.

Think of it like filling a balloon with 1000ml of water. Any normal bladder may get to 300ml and you think you'll have to go to the loo sometime soon. Get to 600ml and you need to go now. Get to 700ml and it's getting urgent now; 800ml and you absolutely must go. Unfortunately, although my bladder will hold as much as anyone's, the signals come much earlier. Mine could be 'got to go' at 100ml; really got to go at 200ml and desperation may be 350ml.

Anyway, sorry, rambled on a bit there but as well as that, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2015. Thankfully just one very small growth so they excised it all and one treatment of the chemotherapy drug Mitomicyn (squirted directly into the bladder and held in for one hour) has thankfully kept me clear up to now.

Every year for 10 years I have to have an annual cystoscopy to make sure things are still alright, so I do consider myself a bit of an expert on cystoscopies and I can honestly say they are no bother at all.

First, they squirt some anaesthetic jelly into the urethra and as they insert the camera it pushes the jelly ahead of it, which also acts as a lubricant and helps the passage of the scope. When the camera emerges into the bladder they turn on the water so as to expand the bladder and make it easier to see all of it. I usually watch the monitor to see what's going on. You can feel some slight pushing and pulling as the consultant moves the camera around but I promise you, it's not painful at all.

However, it's not all sweetness and light. What is painful is peeing afterwards - it can feel like you're peeing razor blades!

The lining of the urethra is quite delicate and it's just had a metal tube pushed through it, so it's not surprising that it gets irritated. The key is to drink plenty fluid. Urine contains ammonia and it's this ammonia that makes the now very sensitive lining of the urethra sting like a very stingy thing that's trying to win a stinging competition! You need to drink plenty of fluids to dilute the ammonia and it'll soon wear off.

Good luck to both of you :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

I've had bladder problems all my life, and it's not unusual for me to go about 12 times during the day and about 4 or 5 (maybe even 6) times during the night. After various tests and cystoscopies, the upshot is that there's nothing wrong, it's just ultra-sensitive.

Think of it like filling a balloon with 1000ml of water. Any normal bladder may get to 300ml and you think you'll have to go to the loo sometime soon. Get to 600ml and you need to go now. Get to 700ml and it's getting urgent now; 800ml and you absolutely must go. Unfortunately, although my bladder will hold as much as anyone's, the signals come much earlier. Mine could be 'got to go' at 100ml; really got to go at 200ml and desperation may be 350ml.

Anyway, sorry, rambled on a bit there but as well as that, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2015. Thankfully just one very small growth so they excised it all and one treatment of the chemotherapy drug Mitomicyn (squirted directly into the bladder and held in for one hour) has thankfully kept me clear up to now.

Every year for 10 years I have to have an annual cystoscopy to make sure things are still alright, so I do consider myself a bit of an expert on cystoscopies and I can honestly say they are no bother at all.

First, they squirt some anaesthetic jelly into the urethra and as they insert the camera it pushes the jelly ahead of it, which also acts as a lubricant and helps the passage of the scope. When the camera emerges into the bladder they turn on the water so as to expand the bladder and make it easier to see all of it. I usually watch the monitor to see what's going on. You can feel some slight pushing and pulling as the consultant moves the camera around but I promise you, it's not painful at all.

However, it's not all sweetness and light. What is painful is peeing afterwards - it can feel like you're peeing razor blades!

The lining of the urethra is quite delicate and it's just had a metal tube pushed through it, so it's not surprising that it gets irritated. The key is to drink plenty fluid. Urine contains ammonia and it's this ammonia that makes the now very sensitive lining of the urethra sting like a very stingy thing that's trying to win a stinging competition! You need to drink plenty of fluids to dilute the ammonia and it'll soon wear off.

Thanks Herbie.It was as usual with you,highly informative and delivered with the voice of calm experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that post Herbie and I'm so glad that your bladder cancer got cured. Fantastic post of your experience of a cystoscopy and I fully appreciate your telling us of it. I'm kind of looking forward to the cystoscopy as I'm intrigued what's going on in there so to speak. 

Yes John it certainly is a small world we live in. Hope Monday goes well and do please let me know how it went.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Earlier this year I visited a friend in hospital after he was operated for a growth in his bladder, I think akin to that described by Herbie.  I have to admit that I don't enjoy visits to hospitals, and although I like to think I might be bringing someone a bit of good cheer, I usually find myself taking a few deep breaths when entering the hospital precincts and again when I leave.  When on this occasion I went through into the Urology ward I was not unexpectedly met by the sight of catheterised patients walking around wearing urine drainage bags.  Almost immediately, to my surprise and growing delight (for lack of a better word), I saw that the latter devices were in several cases concealed inside shopping bags bearing designer logos, some in paper, some in plastic, and all of them rather chic.  By the time I reached my friend's room/cubicle, I had spotted bags with Chanel and Gucci logos plus another evidencing the wearer's fondness for Paul&Shark sportswear. My friend was not yet able to walk after his operation, but his wife was planning to bring him a Versace bag in readiness for when he could.  When I told my own wife about this later that day, she immediately expressed her willingness to contribute a D&G specimen from the collection she has accumulated over many years of shamelessly extravagant shopping.  To be perfectly frank, I still to this day don't quite know what to make of any of this, but I won't dispute the ward sister's opinion that what had now developed into something of a herd movement that repeated itself from one intake of patients to the next probably started with a single patient who objected to putting his urine on public display and, as fate would have it, simply happened to have a designer shopping bag with him on admission to the ward.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 11/12/2022 at 12:42 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Thanks for that post Herbie and I'm so glad that your bladder cancer got cured. Fantastic post of your experience of a cystoscopy and I fully appreciate your telling us of it. I'm kind of looking forward to the cystoscopy as I'm intrigued what's going on in there so to speak. 

Yes John it certainly is a small world we live in. Hope Monday goes well and do please let me know how it went.

It went as well as anything like that can go.Consultant and NHS team were brilliant and I have been given a clean bill of health.No further action required.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

It went as well as anything like that can go.Consultant and NHS team were brilliant and I have been given a clean bill of health.No further action required.

Brilliant, glad to hear it John.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I'm so glad, John, that your recent, 'MOT', passed with no advisories.

:clapping:

• Haha 2

Well I had my Cystoscopy yesterday and a prostrate examination. What can I say. It was a very weird sensation. The first step was to clean my member and whatever was used it was ruddy cold, enough to numb it lol. Next the camera. Very well explained by the female who gave a running commentary. Boy I could feel the water jets and the sensation of the camera going in well it felt comfortably sharp. I was told my bladder was fine which was welcome news.

Next the prostrate examination. Weird again sensation and was told it was fine. I really should have asked what she meant by that but the news overtook any sence I might have had. Anyway going for another one in a few months with a view for surgery on my prostrate. Ho hum isn't life just fine and dandy. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well I had my Cystoscopy yesterday and a prostrate examination. What can I say. It was a very weird sensation. The first step was to clean my member and whatever was used it was ruddy cold, enough to numb it lol. Next the camera. Very well explained by the female who gave a running commentary. Boy I could feel the water jets and the sensation of the camera going in well it felt comfortably sharp. I was told my bladder was fine which was welcome news.

Next the prostrate examination. Weird again sensation and was told it was fine. I really should have asked what she meant by that but the news overtook any sence I might have had. Anyway going for another one in a few months with a view for surgery on my prostrate. Ho hum isn't life just fine and dandy. 

Thanks for the update Vladimir. Good to learn that all is well thus far. Piers might be able to give you some words of reassurance going forward. Eat, Sleep, Drink and Live well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention about peeing after the camera. I went to Rochdale Infirmary for my exam. As I wasn't sure where to go I went in the main entrance where I was shown where to go. Basically round the back lol. Anyway after my exam I found I was in need of a wee. Wasn't looking forward to it but back to the main entrance where there are toilets. Ooooh what a sting but less than expected so I suppose a relief. Couldn't tell if any blood came out aswell. Got home and sorted I went to local aldi but I did not have anything to drink just incase I got short lol. When home I processed to have a litre of vimto. Half an hour later I needed a wee. Peed in a measuring jug (had one ready as some time ago I had to record everything I drank volume wise and measure my wee volume for 3 days. In and out were quite close which was surprisingly good news considering) and noticed blood that looked tadpole like. Again stingy but tolerable. About 4 more wee's that day and the last one no signs of blood and barely a tingle. Today as back to normal as normal is.

Thanks all for your lovely comments. Much appreciated 👍

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I forgot to mention about peeing after the camera. I went to Rochdale Infirmary for my exam. As I wasn't sure where to go I went in the main entrance where I was shown where to go. Basically round the back lol. Anyway after my exam I found I was in need of a wee. Wasn't looking forward to it but back to the main entrance where there are toilets. Ooooh what a sting but less than expected so I suppose a relief. Couldn't tell if any blood came out aswell. Got home and sorted I went to local aldi but I did not have anything to drink just incase I got short lol. When home I processed to have a litre of vimto. Half an hour later I needed a wee. Peed in a measuring jug (had one ready as some time ago I had to record everything I drank volume wise and measure my wee volume for 3 days. In and out were quite close which was surprisingly good news considering) and noticed blood that looked tadpole like. Again stingy but tolerable. About 4 more wee's that day and the last one no signs of blood and barely a tingle. Today as back to normal as normal is.

Thanks all for your lovely comments. Much appreciated 👍

All good stuff, Vlad. The comment that was uppermost in my mind throughout was the one made by Herbie, "like peeing over razor blades" and boy, was he right !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 12:06 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Well I had my Cystoscopy yesterday...

I'm glad, all things considered, it went 'well'.

It's always nice to reach and achieve these procedures and then be able to look forward to happier things to do.

I guess you have now joined the 'soft cushions are preferable' club.

8 minutes ago, PCM said:

I'm glad, all things considered, it went 'well'.

It's always nice to reach and achieve these procedures and then be able to look forward to happier things to do.

I guess you have now joined the 'soft cushions are preferable' club.

admirable.

john williams (s.c.a.p.) member,

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:57 PM, royoftherovers said:

, "like peeing over razor blades" and boy, was he right !

I too have had that experience! While I was waiting, the guy next to me said he had had a cystoscope many times. 

“They tell you it is painless, but it ain’t,” I needed him like a hole in the head! Then an older chap came in with his son and asked what the procedure entailed (obviously had not read the leaflet).  When the nurse explained he said, “Bugger that! I’m off!” Never saw him again.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I too have had that experience! While I was waiting, the guy next to me said he had had a cystoscope many times. 

“They tell you it is painless, but it ain’t,” I needed him like a hole in the head! Then an older chap came in with his son and asked what the procedure entailed (obviously had not read the leaflet).  When the nurse explained he said, “Bugger that! I’m off!” Never saw him again.

Excellent Davey. You have now revealed yourself to be a s.c.a.p. member.

Piers is El Presidente.

• Thanks 3

On 11/11/2022 at 11:56 PM, Herbie said:

Thanks for that Herbie

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Not sure why I'm posting this but I suppose it's because I'm wondering if anyone has had this done.

I'll be having one on Tuesday week, and another Prostate Biopsy; all under general anaesthetic.

Not looking forward to it, but such is life.

BEST wishes to all.

Piers

• Like 2

Piers, the general anaesthetic painless procedure then …… bit of luck eh !  👌

You’ll be equally as fortunate with the Outcomes too for sure fingers and legs toes whatever xd ……… there’s hopefully been medical progress even since this post was first created and we’re all so looking forward to seeing out our dear Lexuses/ii 

Donkeys years ahead for us all ……… just so long as we haven’t hooked up with an EV that is 🥳

Good luck Piers and just Relax and Chill  

Malc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links