Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 RX450 firm / bumpy ride

I recently purchased a 2011 RX450 with 110k miles. The car appears faultless and been well looked after. I am very pleased with the cabin quality and comfort + the seat which is like a giant arm chair. 

However - I am quite unimpressed with the ride quality / firmness of the ride + rattling.  I have the SE-I version so cannot change the suspension settings.  I have some observations and wondering if there is anything I can do:

1. The car has 19inch wheels and the only time it ever feels smooth to drive is on a motorway. Other than that I seem to feel every pothole and tiny deviation in the ground. It's almost a bit embarrassing with passengers in the car as the vehicle looks like it should be able to comfortably absorb different terrains

2. Along with the harsh ride is the incessant rattling /creaking general noises from the rear of the cabin. Some of it was parcel shelf related, but even after trying to minimise that noise, there always seems to be random creaks,groans, rattles coming from various places. 

3. There is definitely a feeling going over uneven roads of the car swaying left to the right a bit (rolling)

I am just wondering if there is anything I can do or if others have noticed the above especially with ride quality. Maybe you don't notice it. For some reason, now its in my head and I cannot not notice it. It's a shame because I love absolutely everything about the car but really struggling with the ride quality at times.

Thanks 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, Joebloggs90 said:

Thanks - I will look into that. Is there a setting to check it on the 2011 model via the info panel / digital screen? 

I fortunately not. The tyre pressure monitor system was not fitted until 2014 iirc. 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, Joebloggs90 said:

Thanks - I will look into that. Is there a setting to check it on the 2011 model via the info panel / digital screen? 

Unfortunately not - (As F.A.'s answer above)

I suggest you purchase a good quality tyre pressure gauge and use that rather than rely upon the gauges fitted to air provision stations at petrol stations.

I also have Michelin Crossclimates at 35psi and, apart from speed bumps, find the ride smooth and quiet.

Regarding your rattles, check that the rear seats are fully secured, as that can cause rattles. Also, if you feel that the car is rolling/swaying and think there might be a problem, see if your local dealer does  a free winter health check. I had one done last year and they check over things like suspension, brakes, tyres fluid levels, so worth getting done if they do it.

• Like 1

Bought my SE-L with Air suspension in May, I also found the ride crashier and more choppy on uneven road surfaces than I had expected. It was on new but cheapo tyres and a  switch to Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres has helped but its not as smooth as a high end saloon based cruiser would be. never will be.

I agree with the poster  that said all heavy SUVs compromise in this area due to top heavy bias. I've driven many and perhaps only the Range Rover and the Merc GLE are noticeably better, but not by much, not driven an X5 lately but I expect that is too. The Jag F-Pace is especially awful and noisy as hell.  Love the Lexus though, many other great qualities.

• Like 2

This afternoon I was driving down some roads with a lot of speedbumps so, with this thread in mind, I thought I'd take them with a bit more speed than usual and see what I noticed. Yes, it was a bit bumpy, but more bouncy than harsh, but there were no creaks or rattles at all when I took the bumps.

Hey all an update: checking tyre pressures was good advice. They were all around 38-39 PSI. I’ve brought them all down to 35 which definitely has helped a lot. It doesn’t feel as rigid anymore and seems to absorb much better.

however cannot get around the crashy ride. Driving thru any uneven surface where it slightly divots causes this loud crash like noise which feels very fragile.  

Good news with the tyre pressure.

Couple of things to try regarding the noises. Remove the rear cover entirely for the time being, and then check that the rear seats are firmly locked in place.

Also, if you haven't already done so, lift up the floor of the rear cargo area and check that the spare wheel, Battery and toolkit are all firmly secured, and that there's nothing else loose in there that could be getting shaken up.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2022 at 8:47 AM, TheoRX said:

Bought my SE-L with Air suspension in May, I also found the ride crashier and more choppy on uneven road surfaces than I had expected. It was on new but cheapo tyres and a  switch to Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres has helped but its not as smooth as a high end saloon based cruiser would be. never will be.

I agree with the poster  that said all heavy SUVs compromise in this area due to top heavy bias. I've driven many and perhaps only the Range Rover and the Merc GLE are noticeably better, but not by much, not driven an X5 lately but I expect that is too. The Jag F-Pace is especially awful and noisy as hell.  Love the Lexus though, many other great qualities.

Well the reason I still have my RX400H is that each time I have gone to upgrade, I have been completely underwhelmed by the ride quality on the later RX's.  The model before this very latest one was somewhat better, but the original poster is correct - the first of the RX450H's were IMHO unacceptable.  Lexus seemed to succumb to the idea that their target market wanted sporty handling vehicles - so firmer suspension and low profile tyres and the problem is compounded by the 450 car being bigger and heavier than the 400.  What astonishes me is that at 172k miles my 2009 400H still rides amazingly on the same suspension and original shocks.  Even though it was the final limited edition it still had the small wheels and fat tyres which of course helps.

And I agree absolutely with Theo.  Went for a test drive in a Jaguar F-pace recently and it was so appalling that at the second roundabout I turned round and drove back to the dealership.  Salesmen said ' yes they are a bit firm'.  Hah - what an understatement.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

I bought my 2009 RX450h a few years  ago, shortly afterwards I felt exactly like you, disappointed with the ride quality but otherwise very nice.  I changed the rear shocks, it made no difference,  after a leaky front shock I also replaced both those. changing them made no real difference to ride quality.

I tow a caravan and put rubber spring assisters in the rear coil springs. I think that has improved the roll at the rear a bit.

The main reason I have not changed the car is that it has a tow bar and is fine for towing, it's immune from ULEZ problems, I don't want a diesel due to previous DPF nightmare.  Cant really afford a newer more expensive model. I only drive about 7000 miles per year. I like the comfort and finish and space. 

Driving on fast A roads or motorways is good. It's pretty quick and grips well round corners. But all I wanted was a smooth comfortable ride!

I have just got used to it as it is. Not sure what else to buy !

Motorways  aside and some major roads, in general roads are more poorly maintained than I can remember and this is compounded by the need to help stabilize SUV's which means stronger springs/shocks than on a saloon.  The lower profile tyres on later RX make for a harder ride.  On motorways and well maintained major roads I find the ride fine but especially poor over non smooth roads and that is with air suspension.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links