Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

World cup England in Quarter final

ALAW

9 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

And whilst this charade is going on no comment from the media on of the greatest Test matches ever with England, under Ben Stokes, conjuring up the most unlikely of outcomes in Pakistan 🥳🥳🥳

To be fair, there was plenty of coverage on Sky…who had the Test live but who don’t have rights to the World Cup! What a coincidence…

Whilst I am a big football fan, my focus has always been on club rather than country. Don’t get me wrong, I’m watching the World Cup and I’d love England to win it, but if they don’t…meh. 

At school we didn’t play football at all - in fact we weren’t even allowed to play football in our own time when school had finished for the day. Things were simple back then. Rugby and Hockey in the Winter. Cricket and Tennis in Summer, with some Athletics thrown in for those that had an aptitude for it, although in reality everything was about team sport. Tug-o-War was a favourite after school game too! I call different times…

Funny, in some ways football became the ‘forbidden fruit’ for many of us. I absolutely detest rugby, but do love cricket. Actually I’d say test cricket is my favourite sport just to watch and while away hours…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

And whilst this charade is going on no comment from the media on of the greatest Test matches ever with England, under Ben Stokes, conjuring up the most unlikely of outcomes in Pakistan 🥳🥳🥳

My brother in law is a big cricket fan and he says Pakistan can blow hot or cold.

9 hours ago, ALAW said:

My brother in law is a big cricket fan and he says Pakistan can blow hot or cold.

Considering England have won twice before in Pakistan they must blow hot an awful lot 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

this wc is full of surprises

Big game tommorrow bernard be difficult but i think we have a great chance COME ON ENGLAND

Time for a cover version of the song and the video if the current squad make it…is it just me or did they look so much OLDER for their ages then?!

In other news, a superb performance from England’s bowlers in Pakistan this morning.

4 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Time for a cover version of the song and the video if the current squad make it…is it just me or did they look so much OLDER for their ages then?!

In other news, a superb performance from England’s bowlers in Pakistan this morning.

👍👍👍

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Nope, it's definetely not just you. Nobby Stiles was apparently 28 then and looked about 40,  and Bobby Charlton was early/mid 30's.

• Haha 1

The big surprise is that both Spain and Portugal lost; France will have to play well to continue.

And I thought Argentina and Brazil would be the final.

Now, who is going to get the flower pot?

One good thing came out of having the games where they are played now: No bunches of drunk, idiot hooligans fighting.

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

One good thing came out of having the games where they are played now: No bunches of drunk, idiot hooligans fighting.

To be fair, apart from a couple of hundred morons trying to storm Wembley Stadium for the Euro final last year, there hasn’t really been ‘hooligan’ trouble at a major tournament since Euro 2000 in The Netherlands.

Isolated incidents yes, but nothing much. I’ve been all over the place watching club football in England and Wales over the past forty years and only seen trouble once, Watford vs Luton in a League Cup match about a decade ago. Trouble does happen, but it’s more a case of memory and ‘give a dog a bad name’ these days imho. There’s also a class element in this country. Bad behaviour at a football match is ‘hooliganism’ but similar behaviour at cricket or rugby is ‘high spirits.’ I’ve been to a rugby union international between Wales and England in Cardiff, and it isn’t something I’d ever want to repeat. Regardless of what the media say, I saw far more drunkenness and bad behaviour there than I see at football. And I felt far more threatened personally.

I thought England played well last night. They were the better side in the second half, but France had the better of the first half. It’s down to  fine margins as it always is in these big tournaments. One penalty miss, a couple of missed chances, and you are eliminated.

Still, seeding confirmed - England are one of the top ten teams in the world, and got to the last eight. From there on the winner has to have a combination of belief, talent and luck!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

So lets have the next tournament in Saudi Arabia or maybe North Corea? Guaranteed no issues as you will simply disappear or get your hands chopped off.

To me a big tournament like this has to be for the people by the people, one big festive atmosphere. This worldcup should have been held in the UK. The entire Qatar/FIFA/Infantino is a total disgrace for football. Money rules.

Next European Championship is in summer of 2024. In Germany. Let the party begin!  

37 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

So let’s have the next tournament in Saudi Arabia … or get your hands chopped off.

Wouldn’t worry too much as long as it’s only your hands.  I believe there’s talk of the 2030 WC being shared between Saudi, Egypt and Greece.

Shame about England going out to Les Coqs (I.e. The Frogs) but, frankly, I won’t miss the team’s virtue signalling. Surprising they don’t get knee injuries before kick-off.

5 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Wouldn’t worry too much as long as it’s only your hands.  I believe there’s talk of the 2030 WC being shared between Saudi, Egypt and Greece.

Shame about England going out to Les Coqs (I.e. The Frogs) but, frankly, I won’t miss the team’s virtue signalling. Surprising they don’t get knee injuries before their matches.

So far i have not seen much brilliance, no actions that you will remember in 20 yrs time. All a bit middle of the road so far, who is the big favorite? which player really stands out? Most did not deliver

England deserved to equalise at least and go to extra time and maybe penalties. They played much better than France in the second half. It's really pity to have missed that penalty. I hope that the final will be Argentina Vs Morocco.

7 minutes ago, serbarry said:

…  I hope that the final will be Argentina Vs Morocco.

Everyone likes rags-to-riches stories and has sympathy for the underdog but, to be realistic, it’s going to be Argentina v. France, reflecting a truer balance of world football power and star quality.

41 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

So far i have not seen much brilliance, no actions that you will remember in 20 yrs time. All a bit middle of the road so far, who is the big favorite? which player really stands out? Most did not deliver

Speaking as somebody born, raised and living in England, the things I remember from World Cup tournaments aren’t always about the football! From the ones I can remember…off the top of my head.

1974, West Germany. Zaire vs Scotland and Brazil. Zaire!

1978, Argentina. The ticker tape at the games (adopted all over this country for years afterwards on a smaller scale - how many copies of the Yellow Pages died for that effect?!). Peru’s strip, which was fabulous. Archie Gemmill’s goal for Scotland.

Footnote - let it never be said that FIFA and  controversial hosts are a new thing. Military rule and death squads? Perfect for a World Cup…

1982, Spain. German goalkeeper Schumacher’s flying tackle against France. Kevin Keegan’s hairstyle…Josimar scoring for Brazil against Pat Jennings. JOSIMAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!

1986, Mexico. The ‘hand of God’ obviously, but also Lineker’s hat-trick against Poland. And the shadow in the middle of the pitch caused by the big thing hanging over the centre circle.

1990, Italy. Nessun Dorma. Gazza crying. Roger Milla and Cameroon.

1994, USA. Diana Ross missing the goal with the giant football at the opening ceremony. I know, but there you go!

1998, France. Fabien Barthez having his head kissed before every game for France. Beckham and Simeone. Michael Owen’s goal against Argentina.

2002, Korea/Japan. South Korea getting to the semi-finals. Watching the games in London in the mornings at the large organisation where I worked who had laid on bacon rolls and big screen TVs on every floor of our offices. 

2006, Germany again. Zidane’s headbutt. Graham Poll (a friend of one of my colleagues!) giving a player three yellow cards before the red…

2010, South Africa. Vuvuzelas. Grrr…glad those never caught on here! Lampard’s goal that wasn’t against Germany.

2014, Brazil. Germany 7-1 Brazil. Brutal.

2018, Russia. Putin. Gareth Southgate’s waistcoat. 

2022, Qatar. So far…ethical concerns. Rainbow armbands. Morocco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Everyone likes rags-to-riches stories and has sympathy for the underdog but, to be realistic, it’s going to be Argentina v. France, reflecting a truer balance of world football power and star quality.

Probably true, but don't forget Euro 2004,  where Greece knocked out France and went on to win it.

8 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Probably true, but don't forget Euro 2004,  where Greece knocked out France and went on to win it.

Or indeed Euro 1992 when Denmark won after qualifying for the tournament only because Jugoslavia were disqualified, but I  wouldn’t care to bet on history repeating itself in this instance.

8 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Or indeed Euro 1992 when Denmark won after qualifying for the tournament only because Jugoslavia were disqualified, but I  wouldn’t care to bet on history repeating itself in this instance.

Me neither, although funny things happen in sport. Years ago I remember watching horse racing where, in the first three races the number 1 horse won. In the fourth race the 1 horse was the 100-1 outsider, and so the commentator said at least we can sure the 1 horse won't win this race. I immediately thought "famous last words" and  put £2 on it, and it steamed off into the lead and romped home 🙂

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links