Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is300h Recall (Spotted Dec 2022)

Hi all

After a comment from @MotorDevil, I checked my car (Is300h, Fsport, 2013) for recalls again, and found I too had the same recall he did.

Posting here in case there's people who do not dig deep into that thread.

I check mine every so often for recalls so this is fairly new. This is the second recall in my ownership (the first being a recall for wheel arch lining sealant or something like that).

I first observed it in the government recall checker but it did not give detail of what.

I used the Lexus recall tool to confirm what recall it was.

It is a "FUEL TANK VENTILATION TUBE REPLACEMENT" recall. Anyone know what the matter is with the current tube?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just checked my 2014 IS 300h and I too have the recall listed too. I also check recalls every so often and did so following the previous thread about this but didn't see any. Not sure when this appeared. It says "Please wait until we have contacted you. This will be done, as soon as we are ready to serve you." 

Looks like its been announced in Australia already:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/lexus-australia-recalls-more-than-14000-gs-is-and-rc-models/

I'm sure the chances of anything happening are low but its one to get done asap I guess! I wonder how quick Lexus will be able to get these done. Best call them first thing Monday and beat the rush to get it booked in. 

The recall notice, uploaded to the Lexus Australia media website, says: "The involved vehicles are equipped with a fuel evaporative emission control unit (also referred to as fuel tank vent tube assembly) that is attached to the fuel tank by a flange.

"The fuel tank vent tube assembly prevents the fuel vapour that is created in the fuel tank from being released directly into the atmosphere.

"Due to the design of the flange, there is a possibility that a stress related crack could develop on the exterior surface of the flange. The crack could expand over time and, depending on the size of the crack, could eventually allow fuel to leak from the crack.

"Depending on the amount of fuel that escapes from the crack, and if it is in the presence of an ignition source, this could increase the risk of a vehicle fire."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Just checked the government website for recalls on my car and it says "Outstanding recall found
This vehicle has been recalled since at least 9 December 2022." 

I saw this 9th December. Then I realised that was the last working day. Wasn't sure if that was the last time they received notifications of recalls from manufacturers, or that was the date it was filed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, matt8 said:

I saw this 9th December. Then I realised that was the last working day. Wasn't sure if that was the last time they received notifications of recalls from manufacturers, or that was the date it was filed.

Yes the wording is somewhat ambiguous... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

I have checked with my VIN and "computer says no" .... I got a message saying they could not find my vehicle (2018 IS300h)

Just got the same on the Lexus checker for my 2014, but on the https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ it shows as outstanding

11 hours ago, Mikey B said:

Just got the same on the Lexus checker for my 2014, but on the https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ it shows as outstanding

Thanks @Mikey B if the Gov website is reliable then it seems im off the hook this time. I may call Lexus anyway just in case.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 09.38.55.png

• 1 month later...

Anyone had theirs done yet?

Mine is booked for a couple of weeks time.

I was instructed that I needed to have less than a quarter tank of fuel.

Anyone know what is involved in this work? How much dismantling is required and of what?

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

Anyone had theirs done yet?

Mine is booked for a couple of weeks time.

I was instructed that I needed to have less than a quarter tank of fuel.

Anyone know what is involved in this work? How much dismantling is required and of what?

Mine is listed for a recall but but not had anything yet from Lexus to book it in. 

• Thanks 1

I couldn't get the lexus recall page to load so used the DVLA one.  It has recall mentioned as of 13th Jan.

Mines is going in for a service on Friday anyway so they be able to deal with it on the day.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, Mikey B said:

Still not been "invited" yet - @matt8 did you get a letter?

I did not, but I called them anyway (I know it said not to) to get it booked in.

Recalls cost money and so if it's serious enough to put a recall out (usually on the grounds of safety) then I wanted it done ASAP.

However, I don't want my car to be the guinea pig 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

I did not, but I called them anyway (I know it said not to) to get it booked in.

Recalls cost money and so if it's serious enough to put a recall out (usually on the grounds of safety) then I wanted it done ASAP.

However, I don't want my car to be the guinea pig 😂

Let us know how it goes... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agent_dess said:

I've been noticing a rich fuel smell when parking the car inside garage and getting out of the car, do you think the recall might be related to the issue?

Unlikely if your garage is not vented the fumes will build up quite normal. 

If it was an actual issue you would think the petrol smell is there permanently, inside the car the fuel pump is usually under the rear seats. 

You must be one unlucky bugger if your vent tube is blocked because there aren't really any reports of one blowing up yet. :jawdrop:

• Haha 1

Booked in for the recall work in March (with Jemca Sidcup), there's apparently a 9 week wait for the parts.

Got it to show properly on the website by logging in and going to same link as original post.

Didn't get a letter or anything, just checked it on the Lexus website and gave them a call.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

Booked in for the recall work in March (with Jemca Sidcup), there's apparently a 9 week wait for the parts.

Got it to show properly on the website by logging in and going to same link as original post.

Didn't get a letter or anything, just checked it on the Lexus website and gave them a call.

Think I'll wait until my next service to raise it in that case unless I get a letter in the meantime. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, IS300FSPORT said:

Unlikely if your garage is not vented the fumes will build up quite normal. 

If it was an actual issue you would think the petrol smell is there permanently, inside the car the fuel pump is usually under the rear seats. 

You must be one unlucky bugger if your vent tube is blocked because there aren't really any reports of one blowing up yet. :jawdrop:

Garage is vented, im talking when either driving in and getting out of the car you can whiff strong fuel smell, its gong for service tomorrow i'll just raise it with them.

Lexus called yesterday to confirm my service appointment and I asked about the recall.  It won't happen until I get a letter telling me to bring the car in for the recall (as expected) they need to get the parts in then book the cars for the recall work, could be a while yet before that happens.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links