Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300H TAKUMI - wheel arch CAN BUS theft

Colenso

1 hour ago, macdoir said:

Had an attempted theft of my 23 plate ES300  this morning at 6:15 in east London. It was a can-bus attempt through left headlamp.

Looks like the cable got stuck stopping them getting access. When I was reattaching the cable I thought that using tie wraps to restrict the  cable movement might prevent access to the port if the cable could  not stretch to the wheel well. Its looks easy to try, remove the pollen filter then secure cable to bracket for wiring loom.

It won't stop them trying but may prevent loss of car.  

I thought all the 2023 models had the encrypted can bus so immune from can bus theft?

On 1/4/2024 at 1:12 PM, AWC said:

I thought all the 2023 models had the encrypted can bus so immune from can bus theft?

Honestly, it makes no difference as thieves do not necessarily know that 2023 is fitted with encrypted CANBUS. they will potentially damage the bumper and loom cable. Worst I would say is that if a proud owner wishes to have a private plate number, the thieves will not know which year the car is from so it will be prone to attempted theft...

• Sad 1

This is the reason I parted ways with my ES, lovely car, but after an attempted theft that damaged the side panel and headlight cables. I bought multiple anti theft devices. But is it worth it at the end, not for me. This is a worry I don't need, I have a family and if I apprehend these low lifes trying to steal my car, what then, is it worth it?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:40 PM, eightk said:

IMG_0796.thumb.jpeg.ecf29a4a82c5f5597e1ab26389ab313f.jpeg

Anyone lost a grey one? Found today…

Glad they found the chop shop, mine would have been in this picture if the alarm did not go off. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:40 PM, eightk said:

IMG_0796.thumb.jpeg.ecf29a4a82c5f5597e1ab26389ab313f.jpeg

Anyone lost a grey one? Found today…

And two more RXs... Golly.

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing some research regarding 3rd party immobilizer for PHEV cars, and I stumbled upon this:

https://youtube.com/@IKARkeyless4go?si=CCVTDMncaBx5fUZc

This is a YouTube channel where they advertise devices for stealing cars, Toyota and Lexus included. I noticed that they have a video on the device (JBL speaker) used to steal a Toyota/Lexus... The guy is a bit slow to do the demonstration, but he just wants to prove that this device can do it:

On 1/18/2024 at 9:50 AM, mister_johnn said:

I was doing some research regarding 3rd party immobilizer for PHEV cars, and I stumbled upon this:

https://youtube.com/@IKARkeyless4go?si=CCVTDMncaBx5fUZc

This is a YouTube channel where they advertise devices for stealing cars, Toyota and Lexus included. I noticed that they have a video on the device (JBL speaker) used to steal a Toyota/Lexus... The guy is a bit slow to do the demonstration, but he just wants to prove that this device can do it:

First time I’ve seen it done that close up. Four minutes. He needs to practise.

• 2 weeks later...

37 minutes ago, mica said:

My Lexus ES300H was taken on 26.01.24 while I was in Wales, and both keys were far from my sister's home.

Sorry to hear this Mica. Unfortunately this type of theft is no longer contained to just London.

P.S. I've merged your post with this larger one - having a single large thread on the subject will hopefully attract more attention than lots of single posts that get quickly lost.

13 hours ago, mica said:

My Lexus ES300H was taken on 26.01.24 while I was in Wales, and both keys were far from my sister's home.Screenshot_20240128_145314_Facebook.thumb.jpg.28ef3dbb3c2d5f65d36bb44a6b8e4170.jpg

Was the car in Wales or just you?. If it was, whereabouts please?

On 1/5/2024 at 3:09 PM, NICO1972 said:

Honestly, it makes no difference as thieves do not necessarily know that 2023 is fitted with encrypted CANBUS. they will potentially damage the bumper and loom cable. Worst I would say is that if a proud owner wishes to have a private plate number, the thieves will not know which year the car is from so it will be prone to attempted theft...

On 1/28/2024 at 7:30 PM, mica said:

My Lexus ES300H was taken on 26.01.24 while I was in Wales, and both keys were far from my sister's home.Screenshot_20240128_145314_Facebook.thumb.jpg.28ef3dbb3c2d5f65d36bb44a6b8e4170.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 8:36 AM, Huwge said:

Was the car in Wales or just you?. If it was, whereabouts please?

No, the car was stolen in Erith whilst, I was in Wales .

On 1/31/2024 at 11:05 PM, mica said:

It was stolen in London whilst I was in Wales 

Sorry to hear of yet another one. Do us all a huge favour and go into your Lexus dealer and (very loudly) ask them what they’re doing about this. Use social media to ask the same question. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, eightk said:

Sorry to hear of yet another one. Do us all a huge favour and go into your Lexus dealer and (very loudly) ask them what they’re doing about this. Use social media to ask the same question. Thanks.

Probably get the same answer as the Post Office gave, 'you're the only one that's complained'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, beyond the blue said:

Probably get the same answer as the Post Office gave, 'you're the only one that's complained'.

Funny you should say that. I’ll start a thread on my mystery shopper experience soon. Suffice to say, when asked about canbus theft risk, dealers blatantly lie.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, eightk said:

Funny you should say that. I’ll start a thread on my mystery shopper experience soon. Suffice to say, when asked about canbus theft risk, dealers blatantly lie.

This is going to be interesting.....

On 2/2/2024 at 9:21 PM, eightk said:

Looking forward to know the story...

In the meantime another theft attempt on an RX and other 2 stolen last night in the London area... More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/794001950679901/permalink/7043584442388256/

These thieves are getting even more creative... Just saw a post on Nextdoor network about a theft being attempted by drilling a hole into the door !

From the videos that the victim has shared, the car appears to be a BMW and they say that the alarm didn't go off.

They were not able to get into the car but they left behind a hefty damage.

IMG_F0A139658989-1.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links