Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is 250c battery cover missing

Johnlex

Ive been told that there’s a Battery cover missing on my Lexus is 250c ?

I wasn’t even aware, apparently there’s a thermometer in it too. 
is this true ?

Any help please ??

I’ve checked the diagram ? 
is this actually needed and every car installed with it ??

39772D26-D5F7-4C43-B75A-B7D037701668.jpeg

EE95690F-2103-435E-B3F7-BE3E447E627B.jpeg

Edited by Johnlex
K

Hi my car does not have a Battery cover as such ,it has an open frame all round which is held by the clamps in your drawing .The inner facing side of the case has a wired sender attached to the side which I believe is to monitor the Battery if overheating occurs ,this can be awkward when replacing the Battery so perhaps it has been left off when this was done.If your Battery is not a Panasonic it has probably been replaced .The terminals have their own cover

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, true blue said:

Hi my car does not have a battery cover as such ,it has an open frame all round which is held by the clamps in your drawing .The inner facing side of the case has a wired sender attached to the side which I believe is to monitor the battery if overheating occurs ,this can be awkward when replacing the battery so perhaps it has been left off when this was done.If your battery is not a Panasonic it has probably been replaced .The terminals have their own cover

Dave

Thanks for the break down. Yes it must of been left off as it’s a Bosch Battery. If not essential I won’t trail te net for a replacement. 

Mine is missing as well. As other mentioned it makes Battery replacement really awkward, so some people may choose to throw it away. Other reason - Lexus uses uncommon size Battery, so some people just go with what I believe is 063 size which fits without cover, is cheaper, usually higher capacity and more commonly available (I believe halfrauds as well advises that).

To be honest it doesn't add much apart of holding temperature sensor, but that said it could lead to unexpected issues - if you leave temp sensor dangling it may fall close to catalytic converter and report that your Battery is on fire. Basically as long as you find the way to secure temp sensor it should be alright without cover.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

This is the setup on my car. Not a convertible though.

20190509_152803.thumb.jpg.7771317b8fdbb028bdb8b2cb59adaa22.jpg

Pretty much what @true blue described earlier.

Just checked mine agian it’s like this dark outside and think the bottom tray isn’t there. I put this Battery in and there was nothing there but was about 4yearsa go I done 

@peniole this is how we keep the engine bay clean 😂 

839B4847-0DC3-45BC-AE47-07497D002CAA.jpeg

08D0D00D-D255-45B5-BAB3-452143B0F52A.jpeg

FCCB8C4A-C56B-476B-A59E-0F8D11B269F6.jpeg

7EDEE18C-68A5-42A3-9E1B-C993417D5687.jpeg

46B3D76A-C97F-4373-ACD4-BF2DB4F3118A.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Mine is missing as well. As other mentioned it makes battery replacement really awkward, so some people may choose to throw it away. Other reason - Lexus uses uncommon size battery, so some people just go with what I believe is 063 size which fits without cover, is cheaper, usually higher capacity and more commonly available (I believe halfrauds as well advises that).

To be honest it doesn't add much apart of holding temperature sensor, but that said it could lead to unexpected issues - if you leave temp sensor dangling it may fall close to catalytic converter and report that your battery is on fire. Basically as long as you find the way to secure temp sensor it should be alright without cover.

I will check in the new year and see how it’s attached Lexus just advised me that’s all 😂 so thought I better look into it with my 10 plus  year warranty I’ve just taken out after my extended warranty ends this January 

4 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

I will check in the new year and see how it’s attached Lexus just advised me that’s all 😂 so thought I better look into it with my 10 plus  year warranty I’ve just taken out after my extended warranty ends this January 

As you can see the sensor is here ?? Is that the plug been taped 

it’s been like this since purchased from the worst Lexus jemca in the country. 

9179D877-84A3-4E48-AE21-A7DD426A96F4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

The heat sensor is located on the left hand side, as you look at it, of the casing. I've never seen a cover on the battery on any is250. 

I see 

I will take out at some point . 
what is the plug I’ve circled and pointed on ?

46D2747A-4EA3-4368-920A-C488570C8524.jpeg

Lexus refer to the plastic Battery enclosure as an "Insulator". 

Part number is:  28899-31020

The part number 74433D in John's diagram sits in the Battery tray underneath the Battery and not on top of the Battery as you might expect from looking at the diagram.

I believe all IS250 models would have been fitted with the enclosure as standard from the factory.

6b94a7312830e194c9eb52abe60c51f8.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Pics from is250's for sale on auto trader. 

Even on Google no is250's with a battery cover.

The enclosure is not a cover but simply fits around the sides of the Battery.

It is very evident if you look at John Henderson's post above and is indeed fitted to most, if not all, of the photos you have posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From memory John the plug is on the left side (positive +ve Battery terminal side). Its on the outside of the casing so it's easier to have the Battery out so that the casing can be manipulated and the plug made easy to access. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

From memory John the plug is on the left side (positive +ve battery terminal side). Its on the outside of the casing so it's easier to have the battery out so that the casing can be manipulated and the plug made easy to access. 

So what is the plug pictures below them on my car ? I’ve seen the case as shown and checked number ? Direct from Japan £25: 

Pictured below is an ne of sourced 

AF3E1765-74EE-4153-BD4D-112D19D50D69.jpeg

98CA1B84-C323-4FEB-8887-509519127D5C.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links