Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid Battery Warranty Query.

BarneyTT

Sadly, due to health issues I need to go from two cars down to one which would leave me with my GS430.

I love my GS and would be sad to part with it but I'm thinking of changing to a RX450h (2010-2013 models are within my price range) partly for practical reasons but mainly health (broke my back years ago and with my increasing years, it's not a happy bunny these days!). After much research and ideally wanting to stick with Lexus the RX450h Sel-l or Sel-l Premier ticks all the boxes.

However, my big worry is the hybrid batteries, I've read they average a 15 year or so life span. Given the age of RX I'm looking at that could be a deal breaker, so my query is: Do Lexus sell a hybrid Battery warranty?

I was looking intially at an RX350 SE-l but the higher road tax (my GS just missed the higher bracket thankfully) and water ingress issues nudged me into uping my budget for the 450h.

Would welcome your thoughts and input.

@BarneyTT sorry to hear of your health problems.

Lexus provide a hybrid health check service which if passed provides you with a 12 month/10k mile warranty on the hybrid Battery, but only up to 15 years old.

There is no evidence that the hybrid batteries have issues at 15 years old, although the vast majority of Toyota/Lexus hybrid are 15 years or younger to draw any conclusions on this. On the older series II RX400h, only a handful have reported Battery issues here on LOC and were mainly caused by water ingress rather than a direct problem with the Battery itself. For the series III 450h I cannot recall any failures here, but there may have been one or two very unlucky people. The series III RX is very reliable, with only the powered rear tailgate failure being a common issue.

• Like 1

As Colin said, the hybrid Battery is warrantied up to 15 years. At 15 years old there are plenty of other things that can go wrong on non hybrid cars, such as engine, transmission, electrics etc,  all of which are pretty reliable on an RX450h. Additionally there are now third party companies who can repair/replace, even down to individual cells, on hybrid batteries. Obviously one can be unlucky, but personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the hybrid Battery.

When buying, the things I'd look out for are service history and signs that the car's been well looked after, along with MOT history to check there are no ongoing problems, serious issues, or corrosion issues. Overall condition of car, as well as a good look underneath, and around the sills, bottom of doors, and wheel arches for any signs of corrosion as, in my experience, corrosion can kill a car as quick as any mechanical fault. Also check carpets, headlining and all boot spaces for any signs of leaks or water ingress, especially if the car has a sunroof or roof bars, as leaks are a pain to track down and fix, but they don't appear to be as much of an issue on the 450h as older models.

It's also worth noting that you can get an extended warranty for up 15yrs/150k for around £550 a year, which includes UK and European recovery, and seems to be pretty comprehensive, so the newer and lower mileage you can afford, the longer you can get.

• Like 1

@ Colin. Thank you for the kind words regarding my back, happened years ago so I'm used to it, but age is playing an ever increasing role in it's deterioration!

Bill/Colin.

Many thanks indeed for your replies, both informative and helpful.

Typically, ones budget never seems to stretch far enough when looking for a new(er) car, ideally I'd like to find myself behind the wheel of a 2013-15 RX but with prices as they are right now it's just not realistic.

I appreciate, aside from the hybrid side of things any car of the age I'm looking at will need all the usual checks but have taken onboard your comments which are more tools when viewing a potential purchase and also during ownership. I tend to be fussy and opt for low-ish mileage/properly serviced cars so don't worry on that score, my GS is 17 years old but has only covered 72k!

In terms of warranties, I'm looking at best at 2-3 years cover by Lexus, my current GS is serviced by Lexus Bristol and so would the RX should I get one, so a few years peace of mind. Beyond that there's the extended warranty Bill mentioned........is that with Lexus as well? 

I think the hybrid part is an unknown for me hence my caution, I just need to understand the pros and cons in order to move forward, as Bill mentioned I'd like to get my self in the head space of not being overly concerned about it.

Anyway, appreciate the input:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, BarneyTT said:

Beyond that there's the extended warranty Bill mentioned........is that with Lexus as well? 

Yes, Lexus provide this but only until 15 years old.

After that there are obviously third party warranties but their T&Cs often limit the maximum claim which may not cover an expensive Lexus part or may not allow Lexus dealer labour rates. I personally wouldn't go down that route and instead save the money to pay for repairs as and when needed, probably using 3rd party companies to repair items or fit salvage replacement parts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BarneyTT said:

@ Colin. Thank you for the kind words regarding my back, happened years ago so I'm used to it, but age is playing an ever increasing role in it's deterioration!

Bill/Colin.

Many thanks indeed for your replies, both informative and helpful.

Typically, ones budget never seems to stretch far enough when looking for a new(er) car, ideally I'd like to find myself behind the wheel of a 2013-15 RX but with prices as they are right now it's just not realistic.

I appreciate, aside from the hybrid side of things any car of the age I'm looking at will need all the usual checks but have taken onboard your comments which are more tools when viewing a potential purchase and also during ownership. I tend to be fussy and opt for low-ish mileage/properly serviced cars so don't worry on that score, my GS is 17 years old but has only covered 72k!

In terms of warranties, I'm looking at best at 2-3 years cover by Lexus, my current GS is serviced by Lexus Bristol and so would the RX should I get one, so a few years peace of mind. Beyond that there's the extended warranty Bill mentioned........is that with Lexus as well? 

I think the hybrid part is an unknown for me hence my caution, I just need to understand the pros and cons in order to move forward, as Bill mentioned I'd like to get my self in the head space of not being overly concerned about it.

Anyway, appreciate the input:thumbsup:

Morning Barney.

As usual Colin`s advice is spot on.

Why not have a friendly chat with Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions who with his experience should be able to allay your concerns. He is a Member on this forum and operates out of Northampton area.  https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

• Like 1

Ah right, thanks Colin.

Never a big fan of third party warranties as they spend more time and money trying to wriggle out of honouring what you've paid for, and I've already set my mind on saving for future repairs:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Morning Barney.

As usual Colin`s advice is spot on.

Why not have a friendly chat with Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions who with his experience should be able to allay your concerns. He is a Member on this forum and operates out of Northampton area.  https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

Morning John.

Many thanks indeed, another helpful suggestion, will save their details as well.

On 1/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, BarneyTT said:

Toyota / Lexus hybrid technology is very well proven, just look how many Prius minicabs there are running around.

15 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Toyota / Lexus hybrid technology is very well proven, just look how many Prius minicabs there are running around.

Think I've got my head around the hybrid side of things as you say, it's well proven technology.

19 hours ago, BarneyTT said:

Do all RX450h SEL-l and SE-l Premier models have air suspension, internet searches have not proved overly helpful?

Don't know the answer to that Barney however, if you download a copy of the user manual and search for air suspension, you should see where the air suspension button is, and what it looks like. Then just look at the interior photos in any ads you're looking at and see if the button is there.

A bit long winded, but that's what I did when I was searching to buy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Don't know the answer to that Barney however, if you download a copy of the user manual and search for air suspension, you should see where the air suspension button is, and what it looks like. Then just look at the interior photos in any ads you're looking at and see if the button is there.

A bit long winded, but that's what I did when I was searching to buy.

Now why didn't I think of that?!

Thanks Bill, I'll get cracking on that gem:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

After months of searching I have finally found and purchased a 2012 RX450h Advance, a big thank you for everyones help and input.

It has pretty much everything I wanted other than cooled seats but that seemed an SE-L option only and I didn't want Air Suspension or rather the worry of it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BarneyTT said:

After months of searching I have finally found and purchased a 2012 RX450h Advance, a big thank you for everyones help and input.

It has pretty much everything I wanted other than cooled seats but that seemed an SE-L option only and I didn't want Air Suspension or rather the worry of it!

If it’s a comfort I find the ventilated seats in the RCF are pants so you may not be missing out!

1 hour ago, Jgtcracer said:

If it’s a comfort I find the ventilated seats in the RCF are pants so you may not be missing out!

I had them on my GS430 and found them to be great on hot days.......but how often do we have them? It's a compromise but I've gained other things I didn't have in the GS such as DAB radio, swings and roundabouts😉

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links