Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hyper-Mileing The RC-F

Howdy Folks,

First off, I don't normally make a habit of eeking out every drop of petrol I can but with circumstances of an early morning drive from Glasgow to Northampton for some work, in the car myself with a few podcasts to catch up on I decided to leave a bit earlier and see just how much MPG I could get from that V8 lump.

Tyre pressures set to 3bar all round and filled to the brim with Tesco Momentum 99 I set sail to the glorious ocean of the M74 and M6 in Eco mode.

After a few minutes idle after starting and 5 miles of city roads and roundabouts I joined the M74 and there was a HGV within view so slowly stalked the back end of it then set the radar cruise on the closest follow setting then sat back to listen to some podcasts.

With a stop off once for a coffee and pee break and a spirited 0-licence loosing speed in Sport+ leaving the M6 Toll Plaza (hadn't gave the car the full beans from standstill since getting it so an empty wide stretch of motorway seemed the most sensible place to do it) after 309 miles it averaged......... 38.1mpg which I was amazed by.

20230127_175905.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

that is impressive, I can manage 33-34mpg on the motorway at 70-75mph.  Out of interest what do you think your average speed was?  How do you find eco mode?

Around 52mph it worked out at.

20230127_115118.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

that is impressive, I can manage 33-34mpg on the motorway at 70-75mph.  Out of interest what do you think your average speed was?  How do you find eco mode?

I didn't touch the throttle pretty much the entire motorway trip, I left it to the cruise control to do it's thing.

It felt much more chilled and less urgent to pull away from roundabouts than usual but that'll be down to a retarded throttle response compared to normal, sport and sport+.

10 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

I didn't touch the throttle pretty much the entire motorway trip, I left it to the cruise control to do it's thing.

It felt much more chilled and less urgent to pull away from roundabouts than usual but that'll be down to a retarded throttle response compared to normal, sport and sport+.

I struggle a bit with the ACC in the RCF.  When on the motorway I want to be able to set a speed and filter through traffic without necessarily having to slow down.  Even on the shortest range it’s a bit too eager to slow down.  Shame you can’t switch off the adaptive bit really.

i do use it but needs to be little traffic for me to enjoy it.

Eco is brilliant, use it all time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jgtcracer said:

I struggle a bit with the ACC in the RCF.  When on the motorway I want to be able to set a speed and filter through traffic without necessarily having to slow down.  Even on the shortest range it’s a bit too eager to slow down.  Shame you can’t switch off the adaptive bit really.

i do use it but needs to be little traffic for me to enjoy it.

Eco is brilliant, use it all time!

You should be able to switch to non adaptive cruise control, turn it on and then hold the button in, if you look on your dash, the symbol should change and voila, regular cruise control and no 5mph increments!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

You should be able to switch to non adaptive cruise control, turn it on and then hold the button in, if you look on your dash, the symbol should change and voila, regular cruise control and no 5mph increments!

Wow, I so hope this is works for me!! I’ll let you know

thanks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jgtcracer said:

Worked…..I feel daft!

Bet it’s in the manual too….

Dw dude, happens to the best of us.

I only knew because when I test drove the car, I put the acc on and said the 5mph increments were annoying and the sales guy told me the secret to regular cruise control, otherwise I too would have been none the wiser.

It is in the manual and tbh the dual symbols on the stalk sorta make sense as to having two modes.

Many happy 1mph increments and non acc miles to you! 😛

I used to do Elgin, Moray  or Aberdeen down to Surrey every 2 weeks 614mls one way with one stop at Carlisle for fuel  pee n coffee , Aberdeen to Surrey 7hrs 30 🙈 elgin to Surrey 8hrs 30 best mpg i got was 36.9 and that wasn’t me hanging around (ive always drove it like ive stole it) i have never driven more than a couple of miles in ECO as it just doesnt feel right so so laggy… im sports mode or sports plus with valves opened on exhaust and throttle controller on highest setting when motorways where clear…did a lot of this driving during lockdowns so roads pretty clear

Whilst I would never advocate exceeding the speed limits, I have found that optimal motorway autobahn MPG figures in an RCF are at approximately 85mph. I guess that's the benefit of that leggy 8th gear,

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BillNick said:

I hope it was a good looking lorry...

In all seriousness that is impressive from a 5.0ltr V8, but I just couldn't handle the boredom.

Well done.

If it wasn't for The Why Files and Joe Rogan podcasts and multiple cans of Monster I'd have been trying to get there as quickly as I could 😆

2 hours ago, Soperman said:

Whilst I would never advocate exceeding the speed limits, I have found that optimal motorway autobahn MPG figures in an RCF are at approximately 85mph. I guess that's the benefit of that leggy 8th gear,

Now you tell me! 🤣

48 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Basically you need to speed up a bit mate 😉 and stop driving it like miss daisy to achieve best mpg … 🤣

Last 2 cars were RX450h's, must get out of the hybrid mindset 😅

8 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

If it wasn't for The Why Files and Joe Rogan podcasts and multiple cans of Monster I'd have been trying to get there as quickly as I could 😆

I listen to the Joe rogan podcasts and they are brilliant.  Particularly enjoy the science/UFO/conspiracy/political ones

10 hours ago, Soperman said:

I found that above 75mph it starts to tail off!

10 hours ago, Soperman said:

It's probably actually somewhere around 55 or 60mph. Look at speed vs fuel efficiency graphs, you'll see the shape they have, always with a rapid dropoff beyond 60mph.

Obviously all cars are different and by optimising aero and gearing they can make the curve a bit flatter. RCFs still get pretty good fuel economy around 75mph

13 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

I listen to the Joe rogan podcasts and they are brilliant.  Particularly enjoy the science/UFO/conspiracy/political ones

You'd love "The Why Files", similar conspiricy theory/strange stories!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links