Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 rear subframe

My much loved 53MY RX300 has just failed its MOT due to corrosion of rear subframe. It’s not weldable. The car is  ‘cosmetically challenged’, needs a respray and I use it for work (I’m a furniture restorer) - it pulls my trailer. I had an LPG dual fuel system fitted 3 years ago.

I’ve always spent whatever it took to maintain it but it seems Lexus want £700 + vat a new subframe, then there’s fitting costs plus bushes, plus wheel bearing to be done. It’s just coming up to 160K miles. 

it drives beautifully but although it’s very hard to justify spending £1600+ on it perhaps if I could get hold of a second hand subframe I could keep hold of the car. 

Am I right in thinking that subframes are the same for all RX models?

Can any of you point me to any Lexus breakers or second hand parts dealers? Or somewhere that retails good none-Lexus parts without the excessive prices Lexus ask?

TIA

• Sad 1

Paul Frost has sold me used LS430 spares in the past. He trades on eBay as lexussparesdirect. He may be able to help.

If I had spent money on a LPG conversion I would be reluctant to get rid of the car, particularly as it drives well. You may have to spend £1600+ on it, but you will have to spend much more to get a decent replacement.

• Like 1

You make a good point re reasons for keeping it. I had thought that way myself. To replace the car would likely be £4K upwards really. 

I’ll try lexuspartsdirect (if I haven’t already). Thanks for the tip. 
subframes seem to be as rare as hens’ teeth!

Problem with a used subframe ( if you can find one!) is that it has probably been subjected to the same unkind UK climate and road salt as yours so in a similar condition.

The link below is for an import breakers (think Toyota Harrier) who may be able to help supply a decent one off an imported model.

https://nipponautospares.com/rx300-45-c.asp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Problem with a used subframe ( if you can find one!) is that it has probably been subjected to the same unkind UK climate and road salt as yours so in a similar condition.

The link below is for an import breakers (think Toyota Harrier) who may be able to help supply a decent one off an imported model.

https://nipponautospares.com/rx300-45-c.asp

Thanks. Point about condition is a good point. 
mill contact nipponautospares. 

5 hours ago, Djwbiker said:

Is it worth getting a second opinion from an experienced auto welder?

Second hand subframe etc sounds a very expensive solution.

‘My’ welder flitted 2 months ago and I don’t know another (good) one round here at the moment. 

My good friends I am happy to report that I found a subframe for £120 via Synetiq, but I’ve bought one for £300+p&p from nipponautospares.com who, as steve2006 helpfully pointed out, import breakers from Japan so the subframe will never have been exposed to road salt. 
This, various bushes, the fuel inlet pipe and a new set of tyres and the old girl will have a new lease of life. 
For the last few weeks I’d been noticing every time I drove it how smooth the drivetrain was in operation. I’m very pleased to be keeping it. 

Thanks to all of you for your help and interest. 
😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Restorer said:

My good friends I am happy to report that I found a subframe for £120 via Synetiq, but I’ve bought one for £300+p&p from nipponautospares.com who, as steve2006 helpfully pointed out, import breakers from Japan so the subframe will never have been exposed to road salt. 
This, various bushes, the fuel inlet pipe and a new set of tyres and the old girl will have a new lease of life. 
For the last few weeks I’d been noticing every time I drove it how smooth the drivetrain was in operation. I’m very pleased to be keeping it.

If you're confident about the rest of the car then this definitely sounds like they way to go, especially given the price of a replacement vehicle (and might that be suffering the same issue or other significant issues?).

Last year my daughter's boyfriend was lucky to find a good replacement subframe for his 1990s MR2, he was lucky to find it in a local scrapyard. He got it blasted and powder coated before installation, might be worth considering in your case?

• Like 3

On 2/17/2023 at 7:51 AM, Restorer said:

My much loved 53MY RX300 has just failed its MOT due to corrosion of rear subframe....

Sorry to hear that John.

My beloved RX300 failed last year and I think it has now gone to car heaven.

It would have be thousands to sort out all the rust for me. I had had welding 'done' a couple of years before, but it finally became uneconomical.

It maybe worth searching this forum if you have not already, for similar themed posts?

Hopefully you have caught it in time, can be back on the road and can give it a good under-seal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear, if you’re changing all the bushings you could even have it blasted and power coated first.

Did you get your dog to open the box or was it more of a kid with a Christmas present moment for you 😀

• Like 3

On 2/26/2023 at 3:56 PM, steve2006 said:

Good to hear, if you’re changing all the bushings you could even have it blasted and power coated first.

Did you get your dog to open the box or was it more of a kid with a Christmas present moment for you 😀

Thought about the powder coating but cost around £150 more so instead will wax oil (or something) it.

Packaging was effective but a bit of a dog's dinner. Having said that it wasn't my dog that opened it

[url=https://postimg.cc/670mrtQZ][img]https://i.postimg.cc/pTbMtdbs/IMG-6864.jpg[/img][/url]

image.thumb.jpeg.d0c5865a7474c78fce5397ee04f95a75.jpeg

Bit of a slash with a Stanley as I needed to get a photo, send it to the garage and get back sharpish to a desk I was French polishing.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 2:20 PM, eleveneleven said:

Great find, good job you didn't have to spend £1600+ to get it back on the road. 

Hope the fix goes well. 

I fear your congratulations may be a bit premature Lee!

Subframe £350, day's labour to change everything over )£600?+vat. cost of bushes, waxoil, then the fuel filler corrosion to be dealt with.

Not looking forwards to the final bill. Still, happy to have the car.

On a sadder note my local lpg outlet (1/2 mile from home) has ceased to sell it. Means the nearest two are both about 10 miles away: at least they are in opposite directions. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased to have the RX back on the road. Perversely, it went in the garage on the day snow covered the roads (I live in the Peak District) and came out a few days later when all the snow melted, leaving me to try to get around in a Jaguar X350 XJ Super V8. I can confirm that rear wheel drive, fat tyres and 430bhp don't do well in snow!

Here's a photo of the pain 😉:

https://i.postimg.cc/Nf7PwyD1/IMG-0373.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, MikeRX300 said:

John, I've got the same problem and I'm wondering what is the part no 628821480 costing £111.66? I can't find it on google

Mike

Hi Mike

Short answer is I don't know. I couldn't find any matches on eBay or google either.

I guess Autotech used only part of the number on the invoice, maybe.

I'd think that it was likely a bush kit for the rear subframe.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links