Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D (new owner, new member)

Miles Simmons

Does anybody have any experience with replacement/upgrade air filters for the IS220D. My neighbour who I mentioned who had the remapped IS220D, just messaged me to say he has an aftermarket performance air filter that I can have of I so wish

(https://www.rtecshop.co.uk/k-n-air-filter-for-lexus-is220-2-2l-all-year-2006/prod_200878.html

My local garage said the only thing that wasn't pristine in the engine bay of all the replaceable service items they changed, was the air filter, so I'm wondering whether or not I should I take my neighbour up on his offer and stick one of these in. Apparently they can be reused and have a 100k lifetime. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Hi Miles. The only reason I went onto Millers was because of a friend who at the time was a salesman doing 1k miles a week. He swore by Millers so because I couldn't find Archoil at the time I could Millers so I got Diesel Power EcoMax. I found it no different to Archoil but a little cheaper so there you go. I use the petrol equipment in my is250. 

Oh the first thing I do to my cars before I drive them home fir the first time is add a bottle of ZX1 in the engine oil no matter what the mileage is on the car. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Miles. The only reason I went onto Millers was because of a friend who at the time was a salesman doing 1k miles a week. He swore by Millers so because I couldn't find Archoil at the time I could Millers so I got Diesel Power EcoMax. I found it no different to Archoil but a little cheaper so there you go. I use the petrol equipment in my is250. 

Oh the first thing I do to my cars before I drive them home fir the first time is add a bottle of ZX1 in the engine oil no matter what the mileage is on the car. 

Okay Vlad, all understood. I'll stick with Archoil for the time being. Is ZX1 Extralube? Do you have a link for a reputable seller/site. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Hi Miles. Yes ZX1 extralube. I get it from amazon. Been using it over 30 years. Swear by it. An example. One of my neighbours has a jag s type 3.0 V6. Only uses it twice a year. Told me of a tappety noise every time he starts it. Told him about ZX1. After one treatment he knocks on my door and said uckinhell Vlad no more tappety noise. Thanks. 

It basically coats all internal metal with a micro layer of lubricant. Like glue so to speak. No need to wait for oil pressure to pump oil around everywhere coz ZX1 is already there protecting all inner moving parts.

I even put a thimble full in the coolant and fuel to help the pumps.

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Miles. Yes ZX1 extralube. I get it from amazon. Been using it over 30 years. Swear by it. An example. One of my neighbours has a jag s type 3.0 V6. Only uses it twice a year. Told me of a tappety noise every time he starts it. Told him about ZX1. After one treatment he knocks on my door and said uckinhell Vlad no more tappety noise. Thanks. 

It basically coats all internal metal with a micro layer of lubricant. Like glue so to speak. No need to wait for oil pressure to pump oil around everywhere coz ZX1 is already there protecting all inner moving parts.

I even put a thimble full in the coolant and fuel to help the pumps.

Well I'll echo your neighbour Vlad, uckinghell 😂 I've order 250ml from Halfords. Will dump 225ml in engine oil and 25ml in the fuel. Thanks again mate 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Read the paperwork for dosage. Your car is 2.0 litres I think. In the box you get 2 small measuring fimbles to aid dosage. 

Hey Vlad 

Will do. Its a 2.2ltr. I'll make sure to follow guidelines 

• Like 1

So had the remap today, first impressions, every one who owns an IS220D should have a stage 1 remap. It literally brings the car to life. The difference between 174bhp and 208bhp is very noticeable in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) and the added 45lbft makes 2nd and 3rd gear an absolute joy, in the blink of an eye you've made your way from 30-70mph, whilst being firmly pinned back in the seat, gone is the sedate linear power delivery replaced by an expressively torque driven power band that ends around 3900rpm where the increased bhp takes over. Two things to bear in mind with a generic map (even if it was originally dyno created) it will not cure the turbo lag, which is more severe than I've experienced on any other TD before and it won't remedy the 6th gear issue on the motorway, it does however make the car labour considerably less in 5th gear at a slightly lower speed than the UK motorway limit (70). Naturally I spent most of my time exploring the new power bands, and thus the mpg figures I returned for the 100 Miles I covered post map weren't anything like as good as they could have been, but despite being a 50/50 mix of urban and extra urban driving, the return was 46.1mpg, and I'm confident another 10% can be yielded once my normal driving style resumes. On top of this, it takes the ECU approx 500 miles to learn and adapt to one's driving style, and as a result, average mpg gains from a fully adapted map range from 3-5%, so all in, I think there could be another 15% increase in mpg to come after the next tank of fuel, which would equate to 50mpg plus on a 50/50 split of urban/extra urban. All in all, well worth the expenditure and totally transforms the feel of the IS220D. 

• Like 5

Okay so update on the remap. I have since done approx 500 miles and the ECU should, in theory, have learned the map and adapted it to my driving style by now. I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with the increased power, but less so by the mpg gains; on Thursday I completed a 90 mile journey, approx 90% Extra Urban/10% Urban and averaged 51.5mpg. Today I completed a similarly sized journey, approx 60% Extra Urban/40% Urban and averaged 47.2mpg. Not bad, and seemingly considerably better than most achieve from the IS220D but not as good as I had hoped for. Maybe the map will continue to improve and adapt, maybe not, maybe that's all the old girl can offer and I was just overly optimistic on figures/gains, who knows, only time will tell I guess.

On another note I purchased some ZX1 from Halfrauds just to see if would make a discernable difference. Since Vlad kindly informed me of the product, I did my own research and found it split opinions. But I have to say that after adding 225ml to the engine oil and 25ml to a tank of fuel, I can genuinely notice a difference in how much quieter the car is at idle, far less tappity and it just feels smoother under load. I've noticed absolutely no difference in power/mpg gains. 

The car is booked in with DW detailing who will be performing a full enrichment package on the car including a ceramic coating this coming Thursday. Really looking forward to seeing what it'll look like afterwards. Will post photos in due course. 

One final thing, can I invite anyone and everyone to offer their opinions on which diesel they favour most. I've always used Shell. 

20230302_175407.jpg

• Like 4

This is a real smiley face thread - I'm really pleased to hear everything is going well. The diesel IS gets a huge amount of bad press around here. Whenever I'm out and about I see more diesel Gen 2's than petrols and none of the oil burners I see are leaving a smoke screen behind them. May your new steed serve you well for many years to come!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mincey said:

This is a real smiley face thread - I'm really pleased to hear everything is going well. The diesel IS gets a huge amount of bad press around here. Whenever I'm out and about I see more diesel Gen 2's than petrols and none of the oil burners I see are leaving a smoke screen behind them. May your new steed serve you well for many years to come!

Hey Mincey thanks for dropping by and for the positive comment! I've got to be honest, this car has put a real smile on my face. Whether it's the level of refinement, the build quality, the new torquey map, or the beige interior that makes me nostalgic imagining how my dear, late grandad would have felt in his XJ12 with beige leather/carpets/headlining. And yes, I've got to say, I was a little trepidatious pre-collection of my IS220D, having already bought the car, and then having read all the horror stories on this forum. Yes the IS220D has its faults, but which car doesn't, and I can't help but feel many folk seem to focus more on the negatives than the positives. I would actually say the only real fault/thing I would change on the IS220D is the gearing, it is to say the least, peculiar, especially so as the motorway speed limit in Japan is less than the UK, 62mph; makes me wonder why its got a sixth gear at all, because at 62mph, fifth gear is more than adequate and very fuel efficient at that speed. I should add, that in my previous posts I've neglected to say that my car doesn't possess the alleged dreaded fifth injector, so I assume this was something that was introduced to later versions of the Gen 2's. 

• Like 4

Eh up Miles. You're getting excellent mpg out of your car now after the remap.

As for any negative views on ZX1 they're paid reviews from competitors of ZX1.

Let me tell you how I first learnt of it. Blimey must have been near 30 years ago whilst at a motorbike show at the NEC I came across a stall selling ZX1 But the guy had a heavy duty motor and I mean heavy duty. The shift of the motor had a steel add on making the diameter of the shaft to about an inch. Imagine if you will that motor on a plinth with the shaft facing you. To its left a heavy duty shaft in the same orientation but a couple foot away. On that shaft a strong lever and on its other end a removable steel ball. Now imagine the motor spinning then with the lever make the ball meet the steel add on onnthe motor. Within seconds red hot and rolloxed.  Now then new ball and steel add on and a couple drops of ZX1. Same thing but ruddy hell even after a minute no heat buildup or seizure. I was sold.

And yes I see more is220d and 200d than I see is250. And yes they run just fine and dandy. I was in the market for one 12 odd years ago but reviews on forums etc put me off.

You stick with yours m8 coz it'll serve you well 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I think the engine is the same as in some Toyotas and have friends working with Toyota in Denmark and they never told me anything about a bad diesel. Heard only that the D4D was superb. Why it has a bad reputation here on the forum could be because some bought mishandled cars and such cars never become friends with new owners.

This engine?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/toyota/avensis/2009/

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Eh up Miles. You're getting excellent mpg out of your car now after the remap.

As for any negative views on ZX1 they're paid reviews from competitors of ZX1.

Let me tell you how I first learnt of it. Blimey must have been near 30 years ago whilst at a motorbike show at the NEC I came across a stall selling ZX1 But the guy had a heavy duty motor and I mean heavy duty. The shift of the motor had a steel add on making the diameter of the shaft to about an inch. Imagine if you will that motor on a plinth with the shaft facing you. To its left a heavy duty shaft in the same orientation but a couple foot away. On that shaft a strong lever and on its other end a removable steel ball. Now imagine the motor spinning then with the lever make the ball meet the steel add on onnthe motor. Within seconds red hot and rolloxed.  Now then new ball and steel add on and a couple drops of ZX1. Same thing but ruddy hell even after a minute no heat buildup or seizure. I was sold.

And yes I see more is220d and 200d than I see is250. And yes they run just fine and dandy. I was in the market for one 12 odd years ago but reviews on forums etc put me off.

You stick with yours m8 coz it'll serve you well 👍

Morning Vlad 

I guess the car is returning decent mpg figures, It's just I'm an optimist and had in my mind that mid 50's would be achievable. 

That is super impressive re: ZX1. Its demos like the one such as you experienced that go a long way to shutting up doubters and getting customers on board. I'll take your knowledge on board and with my own experience and continue to use ZX1 happily. 

That's a shame that you got off put off buying an IS220D. I'll definitely be sticking with mine for years to come. 

Thanks for dropping in 🙏🏼

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I think the engine is the same as in some Toyotas and have friends working with Toyota in Denmark and they never told me anything about a bad diesel. Heard only that the D4D was superb. Why it has a bad reputation here on the forum could be because some bought mishandled cars and such cars never become friends with new owners.

This engine?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/toyota/avensis/2009/

Yes, I too had only ever heard reliable things about Toyota's D4D engines, they make three variants as far as I'm aware 2.0, 2.2 and 3.0, all with different maps. My IS220D is the 2.2 and that comes in a 148bhp or 174bhp version, neither of which I think is suitable for the Avensis or IS220D, 208bhp feels much better suited. 

Here is a review for the engine in an 09 Rav-4 ( https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/toyota-rav4-xt-r-2-2-d4d/#:~:text=The engine feels gutsy%2C but,gear changes in this car.

and attached is a screen grab of an excerpt from said review, I would agree entirely the gearbox is not one for rushed changes and really is the only genuine fault I can identify with this car 

Screenshot_20230305_073526_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miles Simmons said:

Yes, I too had only ever heard reliable things about Toyota's D4D engines, they make three variants as far as I'm aware 2.0, 2.2 and 3.0, all with different maps. My IS220D is the 2.2 and that comes in a 148bhp or 174bhp version, neither of which I think is suitable for the Avensis or IS220D, 208bhp feels much better suited. 

Here is a review for the engine in an 09 Rav-4 ( https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/toyota-rav4-xt-r-2-2-d4d/#:~:text=The engine feels gutsy%2C but,gear changes in this car.

and attached is a screen grab of an excerpt from said review, I would agree entirely the gearbox is not one for rushed changes and really is the only genuine fault I can identify with this car 

Screenshot_20230305_073526_Chrome.jpg

I never thought about a diesel engine as fit for a race horse; more like a horse like these, strong and able to continue like forever:

Carlsbergs historiske bryggerheste kan opleves på nært hold, når de besøger Frederiksborg Slot under weekendens bryggerdage. Foto: Andreas Hørup Nilsson

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I never thought about a diesel engine as fit for a race horse; more like a horse like these, strong and able to continue like forever:

Carlsbergs historiske bryggerheste kan opleves på nært hold, når de besøger Frederiksborg Slot under weekendens bryggerdage. Foto: Andreas Hørup Nilsson

😂 That's how I've always viewed diesels, but since they modernised hugely c.2003 onwards, I have come to expect more refinement and performance more in line with a petrol 

• Like 1

So glad your pleased with your IS220D. Sounds a good one an such low mileage.

I loved the build quality. lots of airbags and even knee airbags in my 06 SE. The build quality was great.

Mine was serviced by Lexus for 4 years and then independent garage with every service and MOT paperwork for every year of it's life, with a faultless MOT history with no advisories, (BP06GKY) so bought it at around 178,000 miles for £1,483.00 on eBay. Drove well on collection and got 18 months out of it until the head gasket went at 187,000 miles.

Like you hated the turbo lag and gearing.  It looked lovely in burgundy. Photo of when I sold it for scrap on eBay for £350.  I had replaced the tyres with Avon 7V7's 1-2 months prior and got the AC fixed with a new condenser. Also cut out boot tray to fit full size spare alloy.

Yours being low mileage should last well.

James

Lexus.jpg

9 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

So glad your pleased with your IS220D. Sounds a good one an such low mileage.

I loved the build quality. lots of airbags and even knee airbags in my 06 SE. The build quality was great.

Mine was serviced by Lexus for 4 years and then independent garage with every service and MOT paperwork for every year of it's life, with a faultless MOT history with no advisories, (BP06GKY) so bought it at around 178,000 miles for £1,483.00 on Ebay. Drove well on collection and got 18 months out of it until the head gasket went at 187,000 miles.

Like you hated the turbo lag and gearing.  It looked lovely in burgundy. Photo of when I sold it for scrap on Ebay for £350.  I had replaced the tyres with Avon 7V7's 1-2 months prior and got the AC fixed with a new condenser. Also cut out boot tray to fit full size spare alloy.

Yours being low mileage should last well.

James

Lexus.jpg

Hi James 

Yes I am rather enjoying the IS220D, its been faultless for 1500 miles thus far and as you say with such low mileage, should serve me well. I really like your SE in Burgundy, a very underrated colour I feel. And yes I agree wholeheartedly the build quality is something to behold. 

All the best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links