Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2002 LS430 Leak in Fuel Tank

Hi All,

I have a leak in the filler neck area of the fuel tank. I understand that this is a common problem with these models. Can anyone suggest a good place where I can get an aftermarket fuel tank? or a good place in and around London where I can get it repaired?

My mechanic can take it off but is not familiar with repairing it. Can anyone suggest a good repair kit/ sealer/ putty/ and something similar please..?

Thank you in advance.

Sam hi  ...........  I'm not at all sure you'll get any responses from the guys here .... just NEVER heard of this issue ever arising

it sure isn't a " common problem " evidenced here !

Malc

• Like 1

It is a known problem with other Lexus models ( RX ?) and considering the design is very similar it could potentially affect the LS430 as well.

If it’s just the filler pipe that is leaking it can be replaced individually as shown in the picture.

B312DF5A-A84D-4869-BC49-17611EF833D7.png

• Like 2

The LS400 had the fuel tank mounted in the rear of the boot behind the rear seat upright so it was completely protected from the elements and this included the filler pipe.

Unfortunately to increase both the boot and rear cabin seating space the LS430 used a conventional under slung tank giving rise to the issues now present.

Good idea having your mechanic recheck the source of the leak, as you can see there are various joints and clips on the filler any of which could be the cause avoiding the cost of a full tank replacement.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, steve2006 said:

The LS400 had the fuel tank mounted in the rear of the boot behind the rear seat upright so it was completely protected from the elements and this included the filler pipe.

Unfortunately to increase both the boot and rear cabin seating space the LS430 used a conventional under slung tank giving rise to the issues now present.

Good idea having your mechanic recheck the source of the leak, as you can see there are various joints and clips on the filler any of which could be the cause avoiding the cost of a full tank replacement.

That is a very good suggestion. All that mechanic said is that the leak is coming from the top of the fuel tank which is not very accessible. He has to take out so many other parts before to repair or change the fuel tank. 

I will ask him to look at the other possibilities in around the various joints and clips. I sincerely hope it is one of them..

• Like 1

I bought an old Toyota last year and as soon as I bought it I filled it up to the top with petrol and it started leaking petrol. I spoke to my mechanic who said older petrol tanks often rust and leak from the top. He suggested putting less petrol in it and it see if that solves the problem-it did. I now only fill it up to just over the half way mark and it hasn't leaked again in over a year. I only use the car for short journeys so never need to fill it up fully. Not ideal if you do a lot of long journeys but ok if not.

Maybe worth a try?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AndyCheltenham1 said:

I bought an old Toyota last year and as soon as I bought it I filled it up to the top with petrol and it started leaking petrol. I spoke to my mechanic who said older petrol tanks often rust and leak from the top. He suggested putting less petrol in it and it see if that solves the problem-it did. I now only fill it up to just over the half way mark and it hasn't leaked again in over a year. I only use the car for short journeys so never need to fill it up fully. Not ideal if you do a lot of long journeys but ok if not.

Maybe worth a try?

Thanks for the idea, although its due an MOT and it wont pass its MOT with a leaking fuel tank. The other thing is that I do a fair amount driving. 

Would anyone know of a fuel tank repair place in and around London?

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I bought a refurbished fuel tank from Paul Frost, trading on eBay as lexussparesdirect. It has been fine. It might be worth asking Paul if he has one. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links