Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caught out by exhausted battery in Remote

I did get a low warning sign on the dash panel of my 3rd Gen RX450h but not long before it stopped working.  I expect like me most owners have only one remote fob with them.  In my case a local garage I rang managed to get hold of a CR1632 replacement which my daughter collected and delivered to me.  Lucky for me I had a small spectacle screwdriver to undo the 4 miniscule screws which hold a plate that secures access to the Battery compartment.  With the Battery swopped over it just remains to replace screws slide back part of the outer shell you removed initially. 

To avoid such a recurrence in future, I will keep a spare Battery and miniature screwdriver in the car and as soon as a low Battery warning shows, put this  in my pocket for replacing the Battery as soon as practicable.

The later RX450h fob has no screws to access Battery and you can use the metal key to help prise the case apart and press together after swopping the Battery which also sensibly is a larger more common size.  However, the Battery could still fail at an inconvenient time,  so again worth having a spare with you.       

• Like 4

I asked about this at the Lexus dealer a while ago. "What do you do if the Battery in the remote key fails?"

I was told that you simply put the remote key right next to the start button and it will work.

Does anyone else know if this is correct or not. I have not tried it myself.

7 minutes ago, GMB said:

Does anyone else know if this is correct or not. I have not tried it myself.

Yes, that will disarm the immobiliser/alarm. Obviously you use the metal key to physical unlock the door first (which will set off the alarm).

• Like 2

Had to take both keys to Lexus on my MK4 for that very same feeling that the case was going to crack when twisting open with the key. Slightly embarrassing when the young lady technician popped them open without a second thought. Still £8 well spent for peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links