Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worn tyres , inner rim

Just had car MOT done , rear tyres badly worn on the inside edge of the tyres . When looking at the car from behind , you can see the wheels lean in at the top and lean out at the bottom . Is this normal ? The MOT garage suggest getting a Four wheel alignment done . 

34 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Just had car MOT done , rear tyres badly worn on the inside edge of the tyres . When looking at the car from behind , you can see the wheels lean in at the top and lean out at the bottom . Is this normal ? The MOT garage suggest getting a Four wheel alignment done . 

Clearly it’s not normal.  Obviously excessive camber.

Getting an alignment check is good advice as it’s not going to get better by itself.

You want to look around for someone using Hunter Hawkeye equipment.  Probably that’ll be a good tyre retailer.

In fact I see that a Google search for ‘ Hunter wheel alignment Kent’ brings up quite a few operators.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

What's the difference in tread depth across the tyre? Inner edges often wear more than the rest of the tyre on rear wheels so to some degree that is normal and you might have eg 3mm left on the rest if the tyre when the inner edges mean it needs replacement. However if you have significant tread left on the tyre when the inner edges have gone an alignment may well be needed. 

I have the alignment check by a local tyre shop every couple of years and the alignment has been fine. If they out of alignment it can effect braking and fuel economy.  
Do use local tyre shop with the right gear and they are a lot cheaper than Lexus with the same results. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WhiteHart said:

I have the alignment check by a local tyre shop every couple of years and the alignment has been fine. If they out of alignment it can effect braking and fuel economy.  
Do use local tyre shop with the right gear and they are a lot cheaper than Lexus with the same results. 

CAR has gone in for service today and I have asked them to look at the alignment. 

21 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

What's the difference in tread depth across the tyre? Inner edges often wear more than the rest of the tyre on rear wheels so to some degree that is normal and you might have eg 3mm left on the rest if the tyre when the inner edges mean it needs replacement. However if you have significant tread left on the tyre when the inner edges have gone an alignment may well be needed. 

The tread on the rest of the tyre looks fine . I really not keen on replacing perfectly goods just because of wear on the edge of the tyres. I have asked Lexus to look at the alignment when it is being serviced. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rayaans said:

It's not normal on an NX

But it definitely is normal on an IS or a GS

The guy from Lexus collected the car today to take in for service basically said it was normal!  But may need some adjusting to the alignment. 

3 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

The guy from Lexus collected the car today to take in for service basically said it was normal!  But may need some adjusting to the alignment. 

Keep us updated please Howard.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:34 AM, Dealkent said:

It depends on the degree of inner wear too. If its like 0.5mm compared to other side it probably is normal

If it's more than 1mm there's an alignment issue

Or the other factor is the speedbreakers which you have to straddle over 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, Dealkent said:

CAR has gone in for service today and I have asked them to look at the alignment. 

I use a local tire shop as it’s a lot cheaper and on my way home from the garage. It’s about £65 for an alignment cannot remember what Lexus charged. Hope all is well with your alignment. 

On 4/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, rayaans said:

Or the other factor is the speedbreakers which you have to straddle over 

That’s a very good point.

Apparently the correct way to negotiate the type of ‘sleeping policemen’ that are like small cushions on the road, is to place one wheel on the top and the other on the road.  That way the full width of all the treads is flat on the road surface.

If you try to straddle the cushion you can get the sidewall rubbing on the edge of the ‘cushion’. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links