Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Found an odd thing in the boot of my LS400???

Whilst trying to fix my leaking boot (again), I noticed two small silver oblong boxes taped to the metal under the spare tyre. Then when I took out the boot lining, I found a box with 8 serious looking connections under the parcel shelf. There are wires going everywhere. I also found a lot of wires with an Ericsson connector in the side of the boot, which are phone related. There was a Nokia phone mount in the centre console (now removed) and microphones in the front and behind the D/S rear seat. 

Some of the wires go under the carpets inside the car, in the front and rear, might be more blocks??

When I bought the car from Anthony (many thanks Anthony), he mentioned the first owner was a company Director in (the City) London, so I can only think its something to do with phone security? Has anyone got any better ideas?

Blocks 2.jpg

Blocks.jpg

Close up of block.jpg

Talos box.jpg

Pull one of the connectors off and see what it looks like, could give you a clue as to the category it belongs in? Play 'follow' the cable and see where it leads 😛

Maybe someone will have an actual idea, but I like a shot in the dark!

Phone signal booster

Interior mood lighting

Audio upgrade

• Like 1

Looks like a ethernet comms system inclusive to users of that system highly encrypted to protect sensitive data transmissions in the open and vunerable domain of a mobile vehicle.

Probably cost an arm and leg to subscribe to in its day but now obsolete in that format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stanwithaplan said:

Just found out installation alone costed £2-3,000 for the Talos.

Then it surely was for a Govt person or other,  OR for a Trades Union Supremo in fear of being bumped off for banning people getting to their Events in life 🥵

Malc 

• Haha 2

Stan. So pleased you are enjoying the Old Girl. I have written to you separately.

Amazed about the bomb detector. I have come up with a theory. I believe the current number plate is from Northern Ireland (although I bought the car in London). Maybe it belonged to someone who had prominent affiliations to Northern Ireland and the 'Troubles'    I glad I did not know about the bomb detector whilst I owned the car as I would have worried that they were after me !

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2023 at 9:43 PM, Stanwithaplan said:

How on earth did you know that?

I used to do a lot of work with the MOD years back, and so knew of some of the stuff done to protect 'important people', and when I zoomed into the photo I could see that it was sensors in the wheel well, so as a result typed 'TALOS SENSOR' into Google.  

I can recall the poking around that used to go on with my company car back in the 80's whenever I went to certain 'sensitive sites', to make sure I  was not smuggling threats into the bases.

A little bit of 'different' history in your car, though odd it was not removed as in theory whoever was the passenger (or driver) of that car could still be located if you were that way inclined and wanted to blow them up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:46 AM, stericker said:

Stan. So pleased you are enjoying the Old Girl. I have written to you separately.

Amazed about the bomb detector. I have come up with a theory. I believe the current number plate is from Northern Ireland (although I bought the car in London). Maybe it belonged to someone who had prominent affiliations to Northern Ireland and the 'Troubles'    I glad I did not know about the bomb detector whilst I owned the car as I would have worried that they were after me !

Hi Anthony, 

I like your theory, it could well be the case. I've replied to your message.

18 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I used to do a lot of work with the MOD years back, and so knew of some of the stuff done to protect 'important people', and when I zoomed into the photo I could see that it was sensors in the wheel well, so as a result typed 'TALOS SENSOR' into Google.  

I can recall the poking around that used to go on with my company car back in the 80's whenever I went to certain 'sensitive sites', to make sure I  was not smuggling threats into the bases.

A little bit of 'different' history in your car, though odd it was not removed as in theory whoever was the passenger (or driver) of that car could still be located if you were that way inclined and wanted to blow them up

Good detective skills Sir!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links