Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Multi storey carparks in danger of collapse.

DavidCM

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

….On a bit of a tangent, I have a remote control light switch in my bathroom that needs no batteries, as it's powered by the kinetic energy of pressing the switch. ….  

Pursuing your tangent a little further, Bill, I recently read about an apparently not dissimilar energy-saving remote control that activates toilet flushes.  This caused me to wonder about the domestic logistics of potential customers for one, until, reading on, it became clear that the product is designed for professional lavatory attendants intending to flush multiple toilets at the same time (hopefully not when in use).

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:38 PM, DavidCM said:

You obviously haven't read my two replies to the same question.Might I suggest you get someone who can read, to explain it to you.

I can read fine, just I sometimes struggle to understand nonsense:)

7 hours ago, Malc1 said:

a Conspiracy theory by BP of course .......  developing Hydrogen Power in the north of England for roll-out to it's forecourt estate in the UK of 1200+ bases

Great to hear Malc you have news that 1200+ hydrogen fuel stations are coming, please post any info of where/when these are built. Using Google doesn't work, because the answer it tells me is pretty much zero :).

12 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Using Google doesn't work

Gang hi,

Logistics are simply that BP has an existing estate of some 1200+ forecourts around the UK .....  and I'm thinking BP knows a little more about it's own business than your Google searching will ever reveal .........  I did say that I read all this from my usual daily perusal of the BP stockmarket stuff ...........

Maybe BP hasn't a clue as to what it's doing eh !  🤣

Best wishes Gang

Malc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Pursuing your tangent a little further, Bill, I recently read about an apparently not dissimilar energy-saving remote control that activates toilet flushes.  This caused me to wonder about the domestic logistics of potential customers for one, until, reading on, it became clear that the product is designed for professional lavatory attendants intending to flush multiple toilets at the same time (hopefully not when in use).

That would cause a bit of a shock while reading the morning paper, Renato 🙂

The bathroom light use case is very good though, as it allowed me to not only add a light switch without have to install any wiring, but also to have it in the bathroom, instead of outside.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Malc1 said:

"treatment of movement joints."      is a part factor in preparing for the EVs in MSCPs in that link .......

anyone got the phyllosan and the ibuleve ointment for those creaking joints 🙃

Malc

The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Gang hi,

Logistics are simply that BP has an existing estate of some 1200+ forecourts around the UK .....  and I'm thinking BP knows a little more about it's own business than your Google searching will ever reveal .........  I did say that I read all this from my usual daily perusal of the BP stockmarket stuff ...........

Maybe BP hasn't a clue as to what it's doing eh !  🤣

Best wishes Gang

Malc

Well Goolgling appears to the way others on here get their 'news'.

But feel free to point me to my nearest BP hydrogen fuel station :).

On 5/2/2023 at 3:00 PM, Malc1 said:

a Conspiracy theory by BP of course .......  developing Hydrogen Power in the north of England for roll-out to it's forecourt estate in the UK of 1200+ bases  .  and available for other forecourt owners to sell too ....  like Asda Sainsbury Morrison and Tesco .  all conspiratorial theorists no doubt Gang .  damn the lot of 'em, burn 'em at the stake ........ oh no, that's no good, that's not going to be a " green " way to get rid of 'em .......... burning that tree stake and reducing the leaf power of carbon eating in the process  .  no no no, don't burn anyone .......... it's not terribly efficient ...... 

no no no, for heavens sake, use the grain to make whisky, brandy, gin, vodka whatever and then drink ourselves to death ............... on a park bench somewhere watching the autumnal leaves falling with the weight of their carbon absorption  ..  a pretty sight for sure  😉

Malc

Poetically worded Malc and it reminds me of a movie i saw loong ago la grande bouffe. Couple of successfully rich friends lock themselves up in a villa in order to eat and drink them to death. Its an italian classic and as expected gets a bit out of control. Its from 1973 as well. I feel very old now ..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

But feel free to point me to my nearest BP hydrogen fuel station :).

Gang, why are you being so ridiculously obtuse about all this  ?

it's quite unbelievable really for a grown-up   🤣

Give me your postcode and i might be able to send you a google map link to your nearest BP garage that will probably have a Hydrogen pump when the BP production is forthcoming 

OR indeed you might be able to savour that directly from google maps .  you know, search for  " my local BP garage " style of searching ....  that will indubitably assist you in your endeavours 🤩

Happy Hunting Gang

Malc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Give me your postcode and i might be able to send you a google map link to your nearest BP garage that will probably have a Hydrogen pump when the BP production is forthcoming 

OR indeed you might be able to savour that directly from google maps .  you know, search for  " my local BP garage " style of searching ....  that will indubitably assist you in your endeavours 🤩

Happy Hunting Gang

Malc

Your forbearance is impressive.
Some children it is not possible to explain everything. Unfortunately, this is also the case with some adults. And even if the birth certificate says otherwise, there are children who never grow up.

Peter Pan?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

…it reminds me of a movie i saw loong ago la grande bouffe. …

“La Grande Abbuffata” in the original. Saw it with a girlfriend and couldn’t face going for a pizza afterwards as planned.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 7:36 PM, Las Palmas said:

Your forbearance is impressive.
Some children it is not possible to explain everything. Unfortunately, this is also the case with some adults. And even if the birth certificate says otherwise, there are children who never grow up.

Peter Pan?

Don't children belive in fantasy? 1200+ hydrogen fuel stations in the UK.....now that is so good fantasy or just total delusion:).

On 5/3/2023 at 6:17 PM, Malc1 said:

Happy Hunting Gang

Malc

I'm still struggling to find any BP hydrogen fuel stations near me, please point one out, because you clearly have all the trade secrets!

11 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I'm still struggling

Gang you're still struggling to find a BP station near you that will probably be fitted with a hydrogen refill capability when BP produce the hydrogen ....... please please give us all your postcode and one of us will find that likely BP station for you ///  we'll even use google maps to assist I'm sure

You don't have to understand what sadness you're putting us all thru' with your lack of skills here  🙄

We are all terribly keen to help you I'm sure

Best wishes

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/29/2023 at 1:30 PM, javadude said:

More anti-EV nonsense. My Tesla 3LR is approximately the same weight as a BMW 3 series. It has a heavy battery but no heavy engine etc. If weight were a problem then they'd have been banning Range Rovers, the Lexus LS etc from multi-story carparks. It's fairly spectacular the amount of rubbish about around EVs. I've found my EV to be like an ICE except better in every respect. It hasn't spontenaously combusted, broken a carpark, electrocuted me in the rain, I've never run out of charge, the battery hasn't died etc. 

I am a bit late to the discussion, but I think it is correct to say that equivalent BEV is much heavier than equivalent ICEV...  BMW 3-Series is bad comparison, because it's size is like previous gen BMW 5-Series, so it is really more the size of Model S than Model 3. So the statement is not that Range Rover or LS is light, but that equivalent car with Battery would be even more heavy. There is even talk of changing rules for driving licenses because in many countries 3500kg is the limit for Category-B License.

Where I agree with you is that it is not ONLY BEV issue, the whole SUV stupid fashion doesn't help for sure, where in the past the person would have had Fiesta or equivalent car, now they have some for of crossover or SUV. Basically all cars got much larger and heavier over the time, BEVs are just last straw really.

So it is correct to criticise the BEVs for the weight, it is certainly a negative thing for the car, but to blame them for car parks collapsing is probably not right.

Blaming any car regardless of the size of weight really sounds like an excuse for me - they failed to build sufficient infrastructure to accommodate changing needs, not only we don't have enough car parks/parking, but as well every time I go there the spaces are so tiny that no modern car fits and no wonder, because all of them were built in 50's and 60's. And then they find reason to actually demolish "unused" multi-storey car parks... really?! "unused car park in central London..." how did that happen?!

This isn't anything new really, UK infrastructure is crumbling, this is not different from blaming motorists for traffic jams... Well... "you collect the money for the roads, but then don't build the roads to meet demand and we are at fault?!". So same here - they collect the money for parking, but then don't want to accommodate the cars they collected the fees from?! Solution is really simple - just redraw the markings and whereas the car park had 600 places, make it 400, because that is the size of the cars nowadays... You can't fit 600 Teslas where 600 Minis used to be parked. The weight problem will be gone as well. And by the way parking charges have already been raised and not by 30%, but rather by 3000%, so they can't even complain about getting less out of their car parks. 

• Like 3

was reading a little while back that the Planning Rules even today allow for a car parking space to be the dimensions of a 1930's model ........  narrow by comparison to a current SUV or even a simple Lexus .  so whoever builds car parks nowadays, and indeed draw the lines in open air car parks, is quite legit to make them narrow

Sad i know but there we are .........

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

for parking, but then don't want to accommodate the cars they collected the fees from

Malc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

was reading a little while back that the Planning Rules even today allow for a car parking space to be the dimensions of a 1930's model ........  narrow by comparison to a current SUV or even a simple Lexus .  so whoever builds car parks nowadays, and indeed draw the lines in open air car parks, is quite legit to make them narrow

Sad i know but there we are .........

I don't know about specific planning rules and indeed you are likely right.. but the UK norm for parking spaces is 2.4 metres wide by 4.8 metres long... which shockingly I have never seen being done. Most of the time I would estimate parking spaces to be ~2.2 x ~ 4.5 meters, and many roadside spaces are just 1.9-2m wide, but often slightly longer ~6m (to accommodate parallel parking I guess).

That said I know of several cases where local planners insisted for parking to be removed from the plan or otherwise they refused to grant planning permission. "Several" - that is exactly 5 and it was trough word of mouth so you can treat it as anecdotal evidence, but what I am trying to say - planners are putting pressure on developers to remove and reduce parking spaces to absolute minimum... and then government blames drivers for parking in the hedges!

• Like 1

Absolutely not only in UK. In Denmark you get fined for parking 5cm outside the marked area and the marked area is 10cm narrower than tha car. Extremely good business.

9492eaad-b752-42d2-b5de-b0674eb74523?ixl

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/htm/grafik/2021/Parkering_KV21/Parkering.hyperesources/P-b%C3%B8de.png

Here on the island they are not as strickt with such rules, but marked spaces for parking are too small here also.

And we are only looking for space enough to park a CT.

• Like 1

I do think it is possible to beat private companies in court if the bay is below "standard size", I have indeed refused to pay parking fines for this reason, although they never got to the court, so it is hard to say how it would pan-out. For example BPA in UK states that bay has should be 2.4x4.8 for it's members, so in theory if you were issued a parking charge by BPA member and the bay was below the recommended size, then it could be used as solid reason to appeal. By law private parking companies are allowed to operate only if they are part of industry group like BPA, so again such charge should be rejected by both internal appeals process and if not then in the court. 

However, that is unlikely to work for the council issued fines and in my experience it is not worth going to the court as courts will always side with councils unless you can prove very specific failing (like missing sign), too small parking space is usually not accepted as valid defence.

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

so whoever builds car parks nowadays, and indeed draw the lines in open air car parks, is quite legit to make them narrow

Smaller spaces = more cars = more money

Car park owner doesn't care if you car gets dinged

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Smaller spaces = more cars = more money

Car park owner doesn't care if you car gets dinged

Yes and then they shut-up about cars being too heavy... if the cars too heavy and damages their parking, then it is their problem isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes and then they shut-up about cars being too heavy... if the cars too heavy and damages their parking, then it is their problem isn't it?

Well there's the answer then.

Bigger spaces, fewer cars, less weight to support.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Well there's the answer then.

Bigger spaces, fewer cars, less weight to support.

That is what I said 🙂 

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Solution is really simple - just redraw the markings and whereas the car park had 600 places, make it 400, because that is the size of the cars nowadays... You can't fit 600 Teslas where 600 Minis used to be parked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Solution is really simple - just redraw the markings and whereas the car park had 600 places, make it 400, because that is the size of the cars nowadays... You can't fit 600 Teslas where 600 Minis used to be parked.  🙂 

Only problem then is that 400 cars pay less than 600 cars. Not sure they like that idea.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links