Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Multi storey carparks in danger of collapse.

DavidCM

According to tonight's"Have I Got News For You", some older multistorey carparks may be in danger of collapse because of the weight of electric cars.

Another great selling feature of milk floats.

• Haha 1

More anti-EV nonsense. My Tesla 3LR is approximately the same weight as a BMW 3 series. It has a heavy Battery but no heavy engine etc. If weight were a problem then they'd have been banning Range Rovers, the Lexus LS etc from multi-story carparks. It's fairly spectacular the amount of rubbish about around EVs. I've found my EV to be like an ICE except better in every respect. It hasn't spontenaously combusted, broken a carpark, electrocuted me in the rain, I've never run out of charge, the Battery hasn't died etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, DavidCM said:

According to tonight's"Have I Got News For You", some older multistorey carparks may be in danger of collapse because of the weight of electric cars.

Another great selling feature of milk floats.

How's the hydrogen fuel station roll out going you kindly shared with everyone in the other post. Is this more nonsense 'news' you have found?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2023 at 1:30 PM, javadude said:

More anti-EV nonsense. My Tesla 3LR is approximately the same weight as a BMW 3 series. It has a heavy battery but no heavy engine etc. If weight were a problem then they'd have been banning Range Rovers, the Lexus LS etc from multi-story carparks. It's fairly spectacular the amount of rubbish about around EVs. I've found my EV to be like an ICE except better in every respect. It hasn't spontenaously combusted, broken a carpark, electrocuted me in the rain, I've never run out of charge, the battery hasn't died etc. 

don’t you miss the noise of a good ICE car?  I must say that the sensory aspect of driving is really important to my experience……

• Like 2

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/uk-car-parks-are-apparently-danger-collapsing-because-new-cars-are-so-heavy

According to the Top Gear angle, the (possible) issue is that all new cars are a lot heavier than when some of the original multi-storey car parks were constructed…so petrol, diesel, electric, hydrogen (probably!)

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/uk-car-parks-are-apparently-danger-collapsing-because-new-cars-are-so-heavy

According to the Top Gear angle, the (possible) issue is that all new cars are a lot heavier than when some of the original multi-storey car parks were constructed…so petrol, diesel, electric, hydrogen (probably!)

Judging by my last trip to the supermarket, I'd say the same was true of the passengers 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Judging by my last trip to the supermarket, I'd say the same was true of the passengers 🙂

Some places people starve and die because having no food. Other places they eat too much and get ill and need medication in order to continue eating tooo much without dying from it.

Not that long ago a lot of grain was burned to make electricity in order to keep price up, while other places people were not having enough to eat.

What do we do? Like always: Nothing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Many of the parking houses here were made when Fiat 500 was the standard family car. No! Not the 500 of today.

Fiat 500 – Wikipedia

I may be wrong, but am I beginning to detect a certain intolerance among EV owners towards anyone who even mildly suggests that their choices may not be beyond criticism and are simply targets for misinformation?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Is this more nonsense 'news' you have found?

a Conspiracy theory by BP of course .......  developing Hydrogen Power in the north of England for roll-out to it's forecourt estate in the UK of 1200+ bases  .  and available for other forecourt owners to sell too ....  like Asda Sainsbury Morrison and Tesco .  all conspiratorial theorists no doubt Gang .  damn the lot of 'em, burn 'em at the stake ........ oh no, that's no good, that's not going to be a " green " way to get rid of 'em .......... burning that tree stake and reducing the leaf power of carbon eating in the process  .  no no no, don't burn anyone .......... it's not terribly efficient ...... 

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

no no no, for heavens sake, use the grain to make whisky, brandy, gin, vodka whatever and then drink ourselves to death ............... on a park bench somewhere watching the autumnal leaves falling with the weight of their carbon absorption  ..  a pretty sight for sure  😉

Malc

23 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

no no no, for heavens sake, use the grain to make whisky, brandy, gin, vodka whatever and then drink ourselves to death ............... on a park bench somewhere watching the autumnal leaves falling with the weight of their carbon absorption  ..  a pretty sight for sure  😉

Malc

Absolutely. Better make booze out of grain than give it to the hungry ones.

That way the boozers die of delirium and the hungry ones starve. Making room.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

For the love of God, nobody mention conspiracy theories!

😆😇

It's a darn good job that 'loving God' isn't a conspiracy theory...

Oh........hmm

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Some places people starve and die because having no food. Other places they eat too much and get ill and need medication in order to continue eating tooo much without dying from it.

What we should do, instead of medicating people for obesity, is get them to run on a treadmill for an hour a day, and generate electricity from it:)

On a bit of a tangent, I have a remote control light switch in my bathroom that needs no batteries, as it's powered by the kinetic energy of pressing the switch. I wonder if we'll one day see a time when such energy harvesting is built into roads and pavements to generate electricity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

in my bathroom

I'm surprised no one's harvested the energy from a shower too

Malc

Shower in icecold rainwater thats what i say! And water the vegetables in my garden with it that i eat raw. 
on a serious note we in the west have become ysed to a comfortable lifestyle that simply cannot be compared to 50 years ago. My parents did not have to choose what to eat it was what could be bought with the money available. So potatoes with lettuce it was fir days and forget about meat. Now we can have strawberries every day of the year. We are on a Lexus forum not exactly a Lada is it..Also the green thing is quite bizarre if you dive into it. Cutting complete forests chipping up the trees ship them to the other side of the world and throw them in an incinerator to create energy is listed as green energy. 

i just try to behave in a decent manner not buy too much and live my life the best i can. Oh forgot, shipping millions of tons of old plastic to third world countries to dispose of is also listed as good for the environment. Guess what they do with it? Time for a brandy i think!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And the parking garages on the brink of collapse seems like a nonsense story to me. I am not a builder but the security in construction is large. If someone can come up with an example i will believe it but not now

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

And the parking garages on the brink of collapse seems like a nonsense story to me. I am not a builder but the security in construction is large. If someone can come up with an example i will believe it but not now

Have a read of this:

https://linkeng.co.uk/how-we-work/you-ask-we-answer/will-greater-electric-vehicle-use-affect-my-multi-storey-carpark/

Potential future issue?

44 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

If someone can come up with an example i will believe it but not now

There was one that collapsed in NY a few weeks ago, but I suspect factors such as quality of the build, maintenance, concrete cancer etc are more of a factor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/18/nyregion/nyc-parking-garage-collapse.html

"treatment of movement joints."      is a part factor in preparing for the EVs in MSCPs in that link .......

anyone got the phyllosan and the ibuleve ointment for those creaking joints 🙃

Malc

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

In some not extremely rich countries, where the standard family car was a little one, like here, I am not sure that all parking houses are capable of carrying very large cars, no matter if EV, diesel or gasoline. On the other side, some of the parking houses are difficult to drive in for bigger cars, so maybe it is not a problem.

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

no no no, for heavens sake, use the grain to make whisky, brandy, gin, vodka whatever and then drink ourselves to death ........  😉

I'll drink to that.

1 minute ago, DavidCM said:

I'll drink to that.

I think there is enough grain so some could be given to those that are starving. Or is it better to keep the price for grain up?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links