Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

.  it's making up for all the lost Christmasses  .........  seriously, I've no idea BUT I'm sure ones on here might quite soon

Good luck

Malc

3 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Did you just leave the battery disconnected then reconnect after 2 years or regularly charge the battery during this time?
In other words was the battery maintained and fully charged before reconnection to the car.

Dear Steve no the Battery was not maintained on a trickle charger or anything. Shall I give it a charge? Also it’s one of those that needs filling with distilled water. Should I top it up aswell?

Many thanks 

Yes, that’s what I would do, TBH I’m surprised it even provided power never mind cranked the engine.

Disconnect from car…check electrolyte levels….fully charge….reconnect then try it again.

• Like 2

I would opt for a new Battery ,the life and strengh of that Battery will be compromised and even after charging will cause problems because it will not have the required amp hours to both start the vehicle and maintain a correct supporting voltage for the ECM and other modules.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, MerchantOfVenice said:

Dear Steve no the battery was not maintained on a trickle charger or anything. Shall I give it a charge? Also it’s one of those that needs filling with distilled water. Should I top it up aswell?

You don’t say how many years this Battery has been uncharged, but I suspect that cutting your losses and getting a new one - as others have suggested - may save you problems in the future.

The electrolyte level has probably dropped through evaporation, exposing the plates.  Without constant recharging, lead plates are subject to sulfation and recovery - if even possible - is best done by a dedicated charging process if further plate damage is to be avoided.

Treat the next Battery with more consideration - get a good trickle charger, for example - and avoid the problem in the future.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys just wanted to give an update. Recharged Battery no difference, tried a new Battery no difference.

Im thinking maybe the drive belt needs changing?

If its the alternator, that makes no sense...Can an alternator fail without the car being used?

Where can I get a Denso alternator from please?

and if it is the alternator then I went for a recon one from a on-line good supplier ..  a third of the price of one from Lexus ( new ) / Toyota

Malc

If it's the alternator, the Battery light will stay on.

Did you do a reset after you connected the Battery? If not, try it.

Turn the ignition until the lights come on the dash, dont start it, leave it like that for 6 mins, then switch off, and then start the car

• Like 1

Check the alternator fuse first, engine bay fuse box, not the normal plug in type but bigger with a clear plastic cover and bolt in. Seem to remember it’s 120A.

They have been known to blow when the Battery is reconnected.

IMG_0738.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, messi said:

If it's the alternator, the battery light will stay on.

Did you do a reset after you connected the battery? If not, try it.

Turn the ignition until the lights come on the dash, dont start it, leave it like that for 6 mins, then switch off, and then start the car

Hi Messi not tried that! I will give that a go, thank you

3 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Check the alternator fuse first, engine bay fuse box, not the normal plug in type but bigger with a clear plastic cover and bolt in. Seem to remember it’s 120A.

They have been known to blow when the battery is reconnected.

IMG_0738.jpeg

Thanks Steve I will look at that too.

If its blown where can I buy these from please?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links