Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might be a surprise but I am thinking of selling my 1998 LS400. Most people will know what the car is like and the work that has been done.
I would hazard to say that it might be the best mechanically and the best driving mk4 or series 2a LS400 in the UK, in my opinion of course😉
The car is not ‘perfect’ on the body but I would say it’s excellent condition and you would struggle to find a better combination of body/mechanical /driving/suspension/electronic/electrical condition in the UK. That is before I receive and fit the rebuilt ECU.
So why am I thinking about selling?
Answer is that I fancy changing to an ISF (first choice), SC430, a good LS430 maybe or maybe a GSF. Thought about a LS460 or LS600H but the suspension replacement costs are ridiculous even when buying from Amayama.
I know I will never get a price that covers what I have spent on the car, I am realistic, but I think ÂŁ6k - ÂŁ7k is maybe achievable?
What do you guys think?
I’m not hell bent on selling at all but if someone on here appreciates the car, what has been done and knows that it’s good for 100k at least with correct maintenance then I would be willing to have a conversation.

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

I don't know your car and can't seem to find a photo at the moment. However I've invested a similar amount into both of my 400s (in fact a bit more on my gold one) and if yours has been fully restored, then personally I would think as long as its a desirable colour and the mileage is sensible, there will be someone knowledgable out there that will be willing to pay that price. Naturally there are bargains out there at much lower prices, but they need a great deal of work and that suits those who have time and ability but not all have those gifts. 

• Like 2

I wouldnt sell it Paul, you will regret it, I've had an sc430, ls430, gs430 mk2 sport, gs300 mk3 and is300, none of them are as reliable and good to drive like an ls400. 

Took my ls400 into lextek 2 weeks ago to get drivebelt replaced, a customer there offered me 6k for it, I declined to sell it, a month ago someone offered me 5.5k for it, I wouldn't sell it. 

About 4 months ago I was in Nottingham, some guy with an rx300 stopped me and said he wants my ls400, he would give me the rx300 and 4k on top, I said no thank you.

Its not about the money, although I could do with the money, I love the car, I'm glad it didnt sell when I put it on here, i wouldn't know what to get next. Nothing out there is as good as an ls400. Body wise shes about 80% good, but mechanically she is brilliant, I've looked after it.

• Like 3

Prices seem to be all over the place, perhaps reflecting to some degree the fact that the LS400 is not widely appreciated for what it is like to own and drive, and what a landmark it represented at the time in the luxury car market. A bit like the Rover P4 in fact. Asking prices do seem to be increasing though.

I suspect you won't get your costs back, but hopefully someone will appreciate the work you've put in and buy it.

Good luck.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, Stanwithaplan said:

Hi Paul,

I don't know your car and can't seem to find a photo at the moment. However I've invested a similar amount into both of my 400s (in fact a bit more on my gold one) and if yours has been fully restored, then personally I would think as long as its a desirable colour and the mileage is sensible, there will be someone knowledgable out there that will be willing to pay that price. Naturally there are bargains out there at much lower prices, but they need a great deal of work and that suits those who have time and ability but not all have those gifts. 

Pic of the car from last year with DHP alloys.

IMG_1837.thumb.jpeg.39068f49872d8532c07347781777d390.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Stanwithaplan said:

What a Beauty!:thumbup1:

Thank you Stan, the picture was not long after I'd detailed the paintwork (clay bar, machine polishing/buffing, 3 coats of wax etc) so it looks the best it can.
The car needs the clay bar treatment again this year because of tree sap and other stuff on the paintwork but it still looks very good.
I've gone off the idea of selling it now, sensible side of my brain kicked in🙃
But.........................as I've said before, if someone offers me £10k I would take it. Extremely unlikely I know but you have to decide on a price just in case🤣 

• Haha 1

Hello! I’ve just joined this forum because I’m looking to buy an LS400. I really like the look of yours, though I appreciate it sounds like you’re no longer looking to sell.

In any case, just thought I’d register my interest on the off chance you’d be keen to chat about it!

Cheers, Oli

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ogp_1 said:

Hello! I’ve just joined this forum because I’m looking to buy an LS400. I really like the look of yours, though I appreciate it sounds like you’re no longer looking to sell.

In any case, just thought I’d register my interest on the off chance you’d be keen to chat about it!

Cheers, Oli

Hi Oli, interest noted and will have a think about it👍

Good luck in your search, members will be more than happy to give their opinion on any potential purchases.
There are a few decent looking LS400's for sale at the moment, emphasizing decent 'looking' cars - reality may be very different.
Gold 96 in Sutton and White 98 in Middlesbrough on Autotrader
White 96 in Glasgow and Silver 98 in Chichester on eBay, the white one has stuff in the MOT history which would concern me though.
There are others on eBay and Autotrader which have been for sale on and off for quite a long while.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:30 PM, ogp_1 said:

Cheers, Oli

Welcome Oli, Good luck with your search, I recently went through the same process and in fact found a good one from a fellow forum member. Hopefully you'll source one soon. 

Fingers crossed for you

Stan

Oli, you've doubtless realised by now that you may have to travel a long way to find one, or the right one.  I went all the way to North Lincolnshire (from Brighton) to look at mine, and then had to go all the way back there to collect it.  No regrets, of course.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links