Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Insurance - 'We don't insure this type of car'.

PGL

On 8/8/2023 at 1:37 PM, Sled Driver said:

I just had a renewal quote from my current insurance provider LV. £504 last year now its gone to £744! No changes whatsoever no claims! Me thinks I'll be shopping around! 🤯

That % of increase is "about" 'par for the course', particularly with the 'more reputable' insurers.

And LV will probably have sent you an explanatory note with your proposal, covering all the key elements affecting the higher costs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, PGL said:

Received an email from current insurer that they are unable to provide a renewal quotation.

Normally use a cash back site for quotes, again have received ''We don't insure this type of car'.

Last year it was £229, cheapest similar quote now £339!

What is the problem? Anyone else with similar car having issues?

Yes just had the problem! Paid last year £360 with the AA and that’s with a couple of extras like accident cover and legal. Tried the comparisons and could not get cheaper than £500 without the extras. Tried AA and again to discuss renewal as they wanted closer to £600 and managed to get it for £453 with same cover as last year. Not ideal but better than what I was being quoted, the lady from the AA said car insurance has gone up 30% this year. 

• 7 months later...

I bought my Lexus CT200 in 2021 (2018 model).  My insurance renewal quote has just doubled (RAC) and I have been refused a quote by Churchill due to my car being a Lexus!  Absolutely flabbergasted!  Just spoke to Lexus Croydon who say they are aware that some insurance companies will not insure Lexus cars.  This was obviously not mentioned when I purchased the car….  I love my car but will now have to consider changing to another make.  Very disappointed.

Edited by Julie Churchill

52 minutes ago, Julie Churchill said:

I bought my Lexus CT200 in 2021 (2018 model).  My insurance renewal quote has just doubled (RAC) and I have been refused a quote by Churchill due to my car being a Lexus!  Absolutely flabbergasted!  Just spoke to Lexus Croydon who say they are aware that some insurance companies will not insure Lexus cars.  This was obviously not mentioned when I purchased the car….  I love my car but will now have to consider changing to another make.  Very disappointed.

I would run quotes on one (or more) comparison sites. I was concerned over my IS 300h insurance this year, and although my existing provider (Tesco) was asking for 77% more this year than last, I used a comparison site and managed to get renewal for only 15% more with One Click which is with Aegis (I live in Berkshire so not as bad as London but still south-east weighted). Premiums and willingness to insure a particular marque/risk are very insurer dependent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie Churchill said:

Lexus was the most stolen car brand in 2023 in the UK (as a proportion of cars on the road). 

After Watchdog got involved, a statement appeared… https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?fbclid=IwAR2u1DC_0mAo4_kSpK_1FLViLNyHJq0nAKctwfXCMxQi1CwuNiGBA10yY0w_aem_ATXzc0mSafM1xX72JZyfSo-7KpoTKXtkPQjmf6ToRhjQ_4GsDaGMH6Nf5ACoFWEW2pE

1 hour ago, Tickedon said:

Lexus was the most stolen car brand in 2023 in the UK (as a proportion of cars on the road). 

After Watchdog got involved, a statement appeared… https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?fbclid=IwAR2u1DC_0mAo4_kSpK_1FLViLNyHJq0nAKctwfXCMxQi1CwuNiGBA10yY0w_aem_ATXzc0mSafM1xX72JZyfSo-7KpoTKXtkPQjmf6ToRhjQ_4GsDaGMH6Nf5ACoFWEW2pE

But not the CT200h. Not affected by the Can Bus issue.

Refusing to insure all Lexus cars is just lazy underwriting.

Julie, check the comparison sites, plenty of insurers happy to quote on the CT200h 

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Refusing to insure all Lexus cars is just lazy underwriting.

Yes the insurance company shafted me too.

On 4/17/2024 at 2:01 PM, Julie Churchill said:

Having recently acquired a 2018 ct200 I have the impression there is very little out there to compare with it for the level of comfort it gives me, it is 20yrs since I last had a Car as comfortable as this and that was a Volvo, quite amazing to me for such a small Hatchback, being an old coffin dodger in my early 70's this is likely to be the last Car I will ever buy, them Meerkats found me a good price for my insurance, however I am fortunate to live in Scotland where there is less thieving Bar Stewards around.

The majority of the Cars I have owned (not that many) in 50yrs of motoring I would buy them at 3 to 4yrs of age and keep them 10yrs or more, this being far cheaper for Car ownership than changing every few years, every time you change Cars this costs a lot of money.  

So I would say to you if you have had trouble free motoring for the 3yrs you have owned your CT, also if it has everything you need in a Car? KEEP IT, there is just so much unreliable rubbish out there, I had the chance of a Corolla one year younger at the same price same mileage, strange the insurance group 19e against the CT at 17e another strange thing a 2016 CT with the same spec was also 19e.

There is not a lot of Ct's up here in them there hills and quite a few of my friends and neighbours have remarked on how smart it looks, in my own opinion both the front and rear of the car is smarter than any of the rest and the side view is not bad either, mind you it is not likely to appeal to someone that drives a C-HR but they must have a mental health issue?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links