Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Miles per KWh

Hi
Sorry if this has been covered before.

What miles per KWh are we getting in our UX300e. 
Mine was showing 2.9 when I got it but the sales team who drove it before drove it like they stole it. 
Now I am getting 3.8 to 4.0. Can anyone beat that….

Does anyone take any notice of the EV coaching score?

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

Interesting point about the tires.

I have only had it a few weeks as it was used but has 13000 (exactly) miles on it. They look good but I suspect the fronts have been changed by the garage (although no entry on the maintenance log). The front have ZP after the tyre description Michelin Primacy 3 ZP, whereas the rears don't.

I believe they only last 10k miles or so.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:46 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

Hi

Mine was showing 2.9 when I got it but the sales team who drove it before drove it like they stole it. 

Thanks

Paul

You're doing well considering its an SUV and not a dedicated EV platform. The RZ owners will be envious!

• Like 1

It’s dropped down to 3.7 now.

I have a spreadsheet to calculate my Battery drain per mile. On my first journey of 19 miles I used 15% of Battery or 1.27 miles per %. AirCon wipers on etc.

A bit OCD I know but I kept a log of all my mpg and I thought I would monitor the Battery and range to try and get an accurate predicted range. 

The spreadsheet can also be used to calculate charge efficiency. E.g. Battery charge % gain per hour. 

Attached is a copy of my spreadsheet if anyone want to use it. Put your values in the green cells. Copy the calculations in the red. The charge calculation rate only has test data in at the moment. 

Paul

UX Charge Calculator.xlsx

• Like 2

I get between 2.8 and 3.4 dependent on how long I'm driving for / speed. I don't keep anything like AC off etc. 

As for the tyres I'd expect around 16-17k max. It's a 2 tonne car and my RX goes through them at this rate so nothing unusual 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What you have to realise is the effect of external temperature. I also log miles per % Battery charge and look at the miles per kWh data on the app. If you look at the mpkWh bar chart for the whole year, you will see the extent of the variation.  For me, it varies from 2.9 for Jan/Feb to 3.7 Jul/Aug.  If you use off peak electricity at 8.6p/unit, it should be something you just forget about. Also the main reason some cars have better efficiency is down to aerodynamics.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 9:46 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

Hi

Thanks

Paul

Some more info re this thread. If you do look at EV coaching pages of Lexus Link, page 5 (of7) of the energy consumption is given as kWh/100miles. The "yearly" consumption data (by month) is probably the most informative.  I get 40kWh/100 miles in Dec and 26 in Aug, with an average of 31 kWh/100 for the year. Remember though, you need to convert these figures to miles per kWh. To do this, divide 100 by the figure in kWh/100m. So my figures become:-

Best - Aug - 3.85 m/kWh

Worst - Dec - 2.5 m/kWh

Average -  3.23 m/kWh       

Anyone else looked at this?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, new Lexus UX300e owner and first forum post. I have downloaded the Lexus Link+ app, but cannot find trip history in miles per kWh in the app. Only a coaching score for each journey which is not very useful.

I’m trying to get a handle on true efficiency vs displayed, so I know what the car is capable of. So far I’m having to do a manual calculation, but I don’t think this is too accurate as I don’t know how many useable kWh I’m getting. I have read 45 is useable, but extrapolating my charges it seems a full charge is only 41/42 kWh, and given charging loses, may be more like 40kWh.

When the car says 0 I’m wondering what useable capacity is left below, maybe there is 5kWh of useable Battery below 0 on the GOM, in addition to the unusable buffer that protects the pack…

The GOM doesn’t seem to learn from your previous driving, as it always starts at 186, as though it resets after each refill.

Thank you

Sorry, don’t understand the numbers you are quoting. 
The miles per KHh is displayed on the car information display. In the summer I managed 4.0 miles per kWh but now only 2.8. I think miles per kWh is a sort of mpg type measure of efficiency. 
The app doesn’t help, it just gives a range which isn’t very realistic compared to real miles. 
As a rule of thumb I use 1% of Battery to be 1 mile and then range anxiety kicks in an anything less than 50 miles range I want to charge up. 
I only charge at home or work which limits the distance I can travel some what. 

12 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

Hi, new Lexus UX300e owner and first forum post. I have downloaded the Lexus Link+ app, but cannot find trip history in miles per kWh in the app. Only a coaching score for each journey which is not very useful.

I’m trying to get a handle on true efficiency vs displayed, so I know what the car is capable of. So far I’m having to do a manual calculation, but I don’t think this is too accurate as I don’t know how many useable kWh I’m getting. I have read 45 is useable, but extrapolating my charges it seems a full charge is only 41/42 kWh, and given charging loses, may be more like 40kWh.

When the car says 0 I’m wondering what useable capacity is left below, maybe there is 5kWh of useable battery below 0 on the GOM, in addition to the unusable buffer that protects the pack…

The GOM doesn’t seem to learn from your previous driving, as it always starts at 186, as though it resets after each refill.

Thank you

Yes - the GOM doesn't learn, unlike in the Leaf. Daft. 

A for miles per kWh, you have to go to the coaching score page, move down the page until you see the bar chart. Then swipe left to page 5 of 7 which shows the bar chart for Energy Consumption. But note, you have to convert from kWh/100 miles. Some on this site do not seem to have figured that you need to convert. See my post upthread for data re my "consumption" data. The UX does not perform as well as the Leaf, but all EVs are much worse in winter. I dont think this has a lot to do with using cabin heating, but just due to the effect cold on Battery performance.

1 hour ago, EddyBaby said:

A for miles per kWh, you have to go to the coaching score page, move down the page until you see the bar chart. Then swipe left to page 5 of 7 which shows the bar chart for Energy Consumption.

Is that on the Lexus Link + app? Because I do see any reference to Energy Consumption in the app.

What is miles per KWh anyway - what has the hour go to do with energy consumption? I would expect miles per Kw.

Yes it's in the app, Lexus Link.

Click the three horizontal lines and then select "EV coaching". Then move down the page until you see the bar chart. Then swipe Left until you see the bar chart for Energy Consumption. P5/7.  This needs a little care as when you swipe left your finger should be touching the chart area. Mad I know.

A kWh is a unit of energy, in this case the energy stored in the Battery or the energy used for a journey. A kW is a unit of power, ie the max power you can get from an engine. Determines how rapidly you can accelerate.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Sorry, don’t understand the numbers you are quoting. 
The miles per KHh is displayed on the car information display. In the summer I managed 4.0 miles per kWh but now only 2.8. I think miles per kWh is a sort of mpg type measure of efficiency. 
The app doesn’t help, it just gives a range which isn’t very realistic compared to real miles. 
As a rule of thumb I use 1% of battery to be 1 mile and then range anxiety kicks in an anything less than 50 miles range I want to charge up. 
I only charge at home or work which limits the distance I can travel some what. 

Thanks Paul, yes there is the rolling trip efficiency on the display, which is your cumulative efficiency. I like to keep this trip going to see efficiency over a full year. What I’m interested in seeing is the trip efficiency of every journey. In our Kia Soul I could scroll back through every journey and see the efficiency.

Your question about miles per kWh has been well covered below, it is the EV equivalent of mpg and is the one figure you need to know to predict your range. Eg, if you have a 45kWh Battery and your efficiency is 3 miles per kWh, multiply 3 by 45 and you get your true range.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, EddyBaby said:

Yes it's in the app, Lexus Link.

Click the three horizontal lines and then select "EV coaching". Then move down the page until you see the bar chart. Then swipe Left until you see the bar chart for Energy Consumption. P5/7.  This needs a little care as when you swipe left your finger should be touching the chart area. Mad I know.

A kWh is a unit of energy, in this case the energy stored in the battery or the energy used for a journey. A kW is a unit of power, ie the max power you can get from an engine. Determines how rapidly you can accelerate.

Thanks Ed, think I have seen you on Speak EV too. It’s daft that the GOM doesn’t learn. As you say, the Leaf did and our Soul did too. Not a massive deal as miles per kWh tells you what you need to know really. 

Surely Lexus hybrid cars GOM learns from previous tanks, so why the EV would be different who knows? Would be an easy software update I guess, wonder how you make suggestions to them!

I can’t see that in the Lexus Link+ app, have you got the original Lexus Link? Maybe they removed the feature on the new app…

Thanks

We’re getting 2.7 at the minute, so about 120 miles true range. 
This is the same range we got from our Soul EV with its 30kWh Battery, so the Lexus drinks about 15kWh more to cover the same distance. Given the cost of overnight leccy it is nothing to worry about, £1 charge more, for a lovely car.

In summer when the lack of heat pump doesn’t come into play, I expect the Lexus will well exceed the possible range of the Kia, which topped out at about 145 miles.

The lifetime trip of the Kia over 4 years was 4.7 miles per kWh. Hoping to get an average of around 3.5 from the UX…

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links