Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Owners Manual or Service book with new NX ?

Hi, the fact I am posting this may be a giveaway that I am a newbie. I have searched and have been unable to find any references to Owners Manuals not being supplied with new cars, I apologise if I missed a topic on this.

My new NX was delivered with no User Manual, and no Service Booklet.

I am in the unfortunate position that because my new NX was obtained via a third party company I have no relationship with the dealer who supplied it. 

I did phone the Dealership it came from and they assured me these were no longer provided as they are available online.

This seems extraordinary to me. May I check with other owners who have received a new NX in the past 3 months; did you receive a User Manual and/or a Service book?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I took delivery of my NX one year ago and I did get a hardcopy manual (abbreviated copy of the online manual in colour) and a service book (although I think it had a different name). I like hard copy to browse so I was grateful for receiving both and I think on a vehicle of this price, copies should be offered to those that want them (I also like the online manuals because of the more powerful search options).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Received my NX450h+ just two weeks ago, with both Service book and Owners Manual. Dealer made a point that they had specially obtained the Owners manual for us. Clearly saved time in the handover as they suggested we sit and read it in the car to familiarise us with the features.

• Thanks 1

I am so pleased to hear this from you.

I have assumed it was somehow related to the purchase route I chose. May I ask, was yours purchased with a signifanct discount through a third party?

I wonder if some kinds of purchases do not come with a Manual.

Thanks for responding.

Chris

• Like 1

June 23 for my 450 and received the maintenance book but no hardcopy manual. Even so, the dealer never completed the details of the PDI so the former is empty.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Picked my NX in June this year.  Told that owners manual and multimedia manual were not available in hard copy - only online for the MY24 version

Also told service book were being phased out - no longer in print and only given out if asked for by the new owner and the dealer had any left 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HMT said:

Picked my NX in June this year.  Told that owners manual and multimedia manual were not available in hard copy - only online for the MY24 version

Also told service book were being phased out - no longer in print and only given out if asked for by the new owner and the dealer had any left 

This is very interesting, and a relief to me as I didn't want to rock the boat by enquiring through official channels. 

I really appreciate your response to my post.

Chris 

4 hours ago, Chris to her said:

This is very interesting, and a relief to me as I didn't want to rock the boat by enquiring through official channels. 

Why not Chris?  Whose boat is it that you think you’re going to rock?

What it comes down to is that you’ve purchased a new Lexus.  However you got it, Lexus didn’t sell it at a loss!

If items such as a ‘proper’ Manual are no longer being supplied, then that’s only going to change if boats are vigorously rocked.

Yes, you can download digital versions - and they can be very useful.   But mine came with two Manuals totalling over 1100 pages and they have proved to be invaluable.  

In any case, Chris, not even having a Service Record may well turn out to be an even more serious problem.  With no apparent way to officially record the service and maintenance schedule, that could cost you thousands in the future.

Unless there’s a real company explanation, I’d be inclined to get back to Lexus for an explanation.  How hard is it to chuck  hardcopies in to the glove box at the end of the assembly line?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LenT said:

What it comes down to is that you’ve purchased a new Lexus.  However you got it, Lexus didn’t sell it at a loss!

If items such as a ‘proper’ Manual are no longer being supplied, then that’s only going to change if boats are vigorously rocked.

Yes, you can download digital versions - and they can be very useful.   But mine came with two Manuals totalling over 1100 pages and they have proved to be invaluable.  

In any case, Chris, not even having a Service Record may well turn out to be an even more serious problem.  With no apparent way to officially record the service and maintenance schedule, that could cost you thousands in the future.

Unless there’s a real company explanation, I’d be inclined to get back to Lexus for an explanation.  How hard is it to chuck  hardcopies in to the glove box at the end of the assembly line?

I agree Len.  Very disappointed not to get owner manuals.

the service book was a bit stranger. As I traded in my NX 300h with all the paper work including the service book, was told they did not need it as all the service records were online.  I pointed out that the online info was not as “correct” as the service book.  Online I had 2 services within a couple of days of each other and then nothing for 2 years !! Ie typos in the dates

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Service book yes, with the dealer stamps and milage in them, harder to fake than digital content.

Manual, at close to 900 pages, no thanks, I'd rather have that online, or a downloaded local copy with a search function. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LenT said:

Also.. What Happens if you sell your Car privately ?? No Tangible service book Just your word that its been serviced by the Dealership...Come on get the Manual and Service book showing clearly the dealer stamps..Thats what you want.And what you should have been given...Forget about The TITANIC

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

March 22 for me and I got neither!

The lack of service book has become a bit of an issue this year.

I'd agreed the first service would be funded by sales as part of the deal to buy the car (I took delivery in March 22 without either service record book or manual).

The car went in for a service on 6th Mar 23, I wasn't given an invoice as I wasn't paying - that went to sales. Shortly after the service due message came up - I took it in and this was reset. But it just niggled at me, so I mentioned to the dealer that the Lexus Link app was still showing as service due, they said it could take a few weeks to 'catch up'. Also, the vehicle is on a PCP and in the unlikely event I hand it back at the end of the term, I didn't want Lexus Finance to try to charge me for a first service!

After a few weeks it hadn't 'caught up'! So I rang Lexus Customer Service who said they didn't have access to service records!! On my insistence they contacted the dealer and were shown evidence it had been done and they updated the Lexus Link, so all maintenance is now listed correctly on there.

In the last couple of weeks I have had a text from the dealer saying my service is overdue and offering a discounted price!!!

What's the strapline? 'Experience Amazing' - I think not

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Alan Thompson said:

I'd agreed the first service would be funded by sales as part of the deal to buy the car

My recollection of buying a new car was that the first service was complementary anyway.  Is this no longer the case?

It must be very disappointing for you, Alan, that what should be a very pleasant experience - and one you may have waited months to fulfil - should be soured by such petty treatment.

It doesn’t bode well for future customer / dealer relations!  Or future sales, for that matter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LenT said:

My recollection of buying a new car was that the first service was complementary anyway.  Is this no longer the case?

It must be very disappointing for you, Alan, that what should be a very pleasant experience - and one you may have waited months to fulfil - should be soured by such petty treatment.

It doesn’t bode well for future customer / dealer relations!  Or future sales, for that matter.

In the old days (LoL) design, tolerances and quality are not what they are today. The engine in particular had to be run in and needed an oil change soon after purchase. This could easily be factored into the overall cost of the vehicle and a 'free' service was the norm. Nowadays, tolerances are much tighter and whilst I would aways run-in the engine of a new car (and bed brakes in), manufacturers no longer regard that first oil change as essential. Upshot of all that is that fewer car companies are offering a complementary first service.

• Like 3

I'm quite blasé about a hardcopy of the owner's manual. My (February 2022) NX350h came with it but I can't recall ever using it as I prefer the online PDF version and it's search functionality.

On the other hand, I do put a lot of value in having a service book. I know that Lexus do (attempt to) keep the records online but I like to have a tangible record of my own should I come to sell the car to a private buyer. Also, like others on here have said, I find that Lexus aren't great when it comes to recording this information. For example, the 1st year service that I had done earlier this year isn't recorded on the Lexus Link app - just the associated hybrid health check. This shouldn't be a problem should I part-exchange the car with my Lexus dealer but might be if I sell it privately.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andy B said:

I'm quite blasé about a hardcopy of the owner's manual. My (February 2022) NX350h came with it but I can't recall ever using it as I prefer the online PDF version and it's search functionality.

On the other hand, I do put a lot of value in having a service book. I know that Lexus do (attempt to) keep the records online but I like to have a tangible record of my own should I come to sell the car to a private buyer. Also, like others on here have said, I find that Lexus aren't great when it comes to recording this information. For example, the 1st year service that I had done earlier this year isn't recorded on the Lexus Link app - just the associated hybrid health check. This shouldn't be a problem should I part-exchange the car with my Lexus dealer but might be if I sell it privately.

I would prefer the hard copy as I find it easier to browse.

the day I picked up the new NX sat on the drive way going through various screens with the owners manual on my iPad and trying to get to grips with all the info when I noticed that the tyre pressures on the near side were different to those on the offside. So search for tyre pressure - a few entries but nothing to say what the correct pressure should be.  Eventually discovered that I should have searched for tire (not tyre).  The Lexus manual uses both spellings - reading / scanning the hard copy would have noticed - the computer cannot.

• Like 2

Not having a service book is hardly new.I bought two new Mazdas when I retired in 2011.Neither had a service book,it was all electronically recorded.

Lexus provide fairly detailed invoices at the time of service..you could/should keep those for future reference.

My 2020 Lexus came with an abridged paper manual,but the full,online version is much more comprehensive,if more inconvenient to access.

I pass this on without further comment, for what it is worth ...

I took my wife's Toyota in to have it's Cat marked with SmartTrace (FOC for Toyota an Lexus vehicles) and took the opportunity to chat with their sales team. I was told that Toyota no longer supply new car owners with either a printed User Manual or a printed Service Record.  I mentioned concerns I have seen here about services not being logged into the database and was told that would be impossible since the act of creating an invoice logs the data into the service database,  including all items replaced per the invoice. I was told that forging stamps for service books was so easy and common that service books were now considered valueless. 

• Like 2

I'm not so bothered about a service book as you do get a receipt / record of the work carried out.

I do quite like having an owners manual - especially as "modern" cars can be quite complicated.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

I'm not so bothered about a service book as you do get a receipt / record of the work carried out.

I do quite like having an owners manual - especially as "modern" cars can be quite complicated.

I absolutely agree, and this is why I was so dissapointed when I didn't get one. Sadly it appears we will all just be dissapointed in the future.  Plus the leather case they came in looked impressive, and was a good recepticle for all the service receipts. My guess is that Lexus will add posh leather folders to their list of accesories you can buy for your car, along with the mug and umberella.

• Haha 1

As I have commented previously, as someone who has enjoyed a lifetimes career in the printing industry I am saddened to witness the apparent demise of the owners manual and service record book!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris to her said:

I absolutely agree, and this is why I was so dissapointed when I didn't get one. Sadly it appears we will all just be dissapointed in the future.  Plus the leather case they came in looked impressive, and was a good recepticle for all the service receipts. My guess is that Lexus will add posh leather folders to their list of accesories you can buy for your car, along with the mug and umberella.

Yes.... I like the leather case too 😀

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links