Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ULEZ Ls400 opportunities

Methinks we're never going to see the like again ...... eyes over Autofraider these days and, as I thought, there's likely to be some blinding opportunities to buy non-ULEZ compliant Ls400s from  distressed owners in the expanded ULEZ areas

Now then, will she indoors let me buy a third beast ......  they're so so cheap nowadays to buy .....  if one lives outside of Herr Khans grabbing reach ......... 

Could be better than having money in the bank ..........

Malc

53 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Methinks we're never going to see the like again ...... eyes over Autofraider these days and, as I thought, there's likely to be some blinding opportunities to buy non-ULEZ compliant Ls400s from  distressed owners in the expanded ULEZ areas

Now then, will she indoors let me buy a third beast ......  they're so so cheap nowadays to buy .....  if one lives outside of Herr Khans grabbing reach ......... 

Could be better than having money in the bank ..........

Malc

I thought people would have already decided that Malc. Interesting to see!

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

On eBay there is a Mk3 in Edinburgh with only 67k miles on it Malc. 😈
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404466927820

saw that while browsing this morning, I'll be up Edinburgh way in a couple of weeks and plan to have a look at the car if it's still for sale.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

One from Glasgow too. Not only the London ULEZ that is having this effect.

I had a look at the MOT history on this car - N97 PPG - and in March 2021 there was a long long list of advisories - 50 in total!! I can't remember seeing a longer more in depth list, most of them are for corrosion or slight corrosion which is to be expected on a 1996 LS400. Next MOT's had no advisories at all, either everything was rectified and every bit of corrosion or slight corrosion was sorted or it was a very dedicated MOT tester in March 2021🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

One from Glasgow too. Not only the London ULEZ that is having this effect.

BUT and a very BIG BUT .  they've ditched those amazing original wheels for something sadly not up to my taste ......  otherwise she looks a nice car with low mileage BUT at that price I think one would want the original refurbd wheels and decent tyres 

My " new " one has artificial wheels too but I think I know where I'll be thinking to obtain a set of originals ( but 16" not the original 15" as on the Mk1 ) when I decide to spend another £700 on her .......  decisions decisions decisions  eh !  My artificial wheels are quite ok and so are the tyres .........

Just spent £190 on a proper service on her and a new 035 5555 Yuasa super dooper Battery at £ 166  and a tenner to fit .....  but wow, does she drive well, 80 miles today on a country road style trip and she didn't miss a beat  🤩

Oh and the E5 petrol fill-up at £121 too ......  hahahahahahaha, it's only petrol 

Remembering how to drive my Mk1 too .  it's all a tad different to my Mk3 which I love to bits for sure 

Malc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Razor61 said:

or it was a very dedicated MOT tester in March 2021🙂

I've never seen such Advisories ....  maybe he was learning on the job .......  his FINGER TOUCH on the plastic sills might say it all ! 🤣

Malc

5 hours ago, Razor61 said:

I had a look at the MOT history on this car - N97 PPG - and in March 2021 there was a long long list of advisories - 50 in total!! I can't remember seeing a longer more in depth list, most of them are for corrosion or slight corrosion which is to be expected on a 1996 LS400. Next MOT's had no advisories at all, either everything was rectified and every bit of corrosion or slight corrosion was sorted or it was a very dedicated MOT tester in March 2021🙂

Wow, that nearly freaked me out, my reg number is N8PPG!

I’ve sure got that Mk3 rear wheel arch rust too on one side ……. I’m planning to get it sorted sometime ….. mines an October 1995 247k miles now Cat N car with plenty of dings and dents …… original factory lacquer starting to peel roof one side AND this last year the original paint finish has really started to deteriorate ……. like supermarket baskets being rubbed over the flat surfaces …… BUT mechanically she’s simply A1 and I’d do a 4999 mile trip in her tomorrow without any hint of trepidation 

simple fact in life that cars of 30 years vintage in everyday normal use are likely to have some “ blemishes “  🤗

Cest le vie 

Malc 

• Like 1

So true. My 51 plate has the scratch (recently I think from the vandals that tried to smash the window maybe), bit of rust under the number plate somewhere, tiny 3mm hole in windscreen (which was repaired at full price by the window people, but then money refunded me as the chap was nice and couldn't guarantee it), front bumper probably needing some extra plastic screws and a few other bits n bobs...

Main one that annoys me is the centre arm rest not feeling 'plump' as it's a little flat on the edges. Incidentally, probably the one I wish to sort first as my left elbow feels insulated when resting. But... I love the thing 🤪😍

Thanks you all for showing me the way. I remember when I used to look at the LS400 and wonder, 'what an ugly looking monster'. But just now and these days and look at em both with, 'oooo, that's nice'.

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

simple fact in life that cars of 30 years vintage in everyday normal use are likely to have some “ blemishes “  🤗

I wouldn’t describe a rusty arch with an inch of bubbling paint all round a ‘blemish’, I’d call it ‘rot’.

• Like 2

Yes you’re right and I’ve seen several Mk3s with this offside rear wheel arch issue …… notwithstanding, in my case, particular regular hosing off of all the accumulating crud …… so maybe an inherent design fault 

But there, very few 25/30 year old cars have even escaped the crusher by now …… just a bit of hopefully relatively simple repair …… a survivor of the War of the Roads eh !  😅

Malc 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my !   The Mk3 in Sutton at £4250 that I phoned about pre my recent cruise has reappeared on Autoafraider

I said to the chap that if it was still for sale when I returned I would probably buy her !

It had vanished when I got back and the call number was just one of those " reserved "  Autoafraider numbers so I bought the 1991 beauty I have now  ............  he spent quite a while on the phone with me that day and told me lots and lots of very good events in that car's life with him .......... 

Amazed to see it still for sale .  if the photos and history and the events in my phone call with the vendor are anything to go by then I'd be over there like a shot if she indoors would dare allow me to buy a third Ls400 .....  not a hope eh !

Malc

• Haha 1

The LS 400 is now a very niche car - only people who KNOW how good they are would consider buying one. There are two ways to look at the car - a billiant V8 that will no longer be made or a dinosaur that is due for extinction. The move towards electric vehicles and the increases in road tax that will surely come will put many people off.

I am pleased to say I have owned TWO of these cars and can now fully appreciate how good they are. I MUST do a review on here!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

seeing it's just vanished from Autoafraider ...  anyone here bought her ?

Malc

I bought it to sit in front of my SC430 knowing that car thieves have to take it just to get to my LexiGirl.

"Hmmmm wondering if I can buy that Sutton car for my nephew who’s custodian of my 1932 Triumph …… his wife would probably go mad too ! "

Sneaky, but I like it.

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:06 PM, Razor61 said:

saw that while browsing this morning, I'll be up Edinburgh way in a couple of weeks and plan to have a look at the car if it's still for sale.

I had a look at this car on Friday morning last week, the eBay advert has ended now.
Paint fading was worse than in the pictures, fading is to be expected with the Gold colour though.
Boot seal leaking - bottom rear inner arches are going so they would need sorting - antennae needs sorting
Engine bay looked ok but I didn't start the car or anything, it was only a look at the overall condition and potential 'trouble areas' before going any further and I decided not to go any further.

• Like 1

Sadly when I see repeated MOT failures and advisories for tyres it really puts me off. If an owner can’t check tyres on a regular basis what else gets missed?
Looking at those front seats I would order the big Furniture Clinic repair pack.

For the money it doesn’t look too bad but difficult to judge the gold paintwork known for fading from pictures.

Does have FSH which is a plus and no “corrosion” advisories but wonder if the belt has been done.

Compared to the other offerings on the same site even if you spent the same again on it I think you would end up with a better car.

Gold badges Malc, bonus but hurry up I hear your nephew’s second cousin twice removed is very interested 😀

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links