Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What to use to clean seats and dash trim

I’ve just taken ownership of 2019 nx300h and I am trying to understand the best cleaning/polishing materials for the seats and the dashboard and trims.  Some cleaning materials suggest spot tests and I really don’t want to go down that line.  Lexus dealerships do not seem keen to propose and particular type/make of cleansing or polishing goods so here I am.  Any suggestions would be truly appreciated 

32 minutes ago, Helenjohn said:

I’ve just taken ownership of 2019 nx300h and I am trying to understand the best cleaning/polishing materials for the seats and the dashboard and trims.  Some cleaning materials suggest spot tests and I really don’t want to go down that line.  Lexus dealerships do not seem keen to propose and particular type/make of cleansing or polishing goods so here I am.  Any suggestions would be truly appreciated 

I've been using this stuff for 18 months now and I find it excellent on all interior surfaces. Very easy to use too.

https://amzn.eu/d/iyFkjzd

Also it's not a shampoo it's much more an interior spray on wipe off cleaner

1 hour ago, Helenjohn said:

You don't say what trim level you have, vinyl or leather seats etc..

The owner's handbook usually give basic cleaning recommendations for the various materials.

On my leather seats I just gently vacuum and wipe with a damp cloth. If I feel it needs a deeper clean I would use Dr Leather wipes. Lexus recommend a dilute solution of wool detergent in water.

On the dash and door trims I dust regularly with a microfibre cloth and a spray of Meguiar's quick interior detailer spray. 

I would avoid using leather conditioners as any leather would be sealed and impervious to these conditioners and simply leave the surface coated, attracting dust and grit.

• Like 2

I use a damp cloth to wipe seats and plastic trim, with a weak solution of whatever car cleaner I'm using (currently some no rinse stuff). Then I give everything a wipe over with 303 aerospace protectant.

To honest, it usually only needs brushing over with a duster, so I only need to clean about once a year, if that.

1 hour ago, Deb said:

never use microfibre cloth it will scratch it!)

I've never had an issue with microfibre, laundered at 40c and tumble dried they come out soft as a baby's posterior. If you are experiencing scratching/marking you are doing something wrong!

• Like 1

Diluted APC with a cloth followed by a leather / vinyl sealant

you honestly do not need to do it excessively. I would aim for once every 6 months or once a year if the car gets light use. 

Ive had instances using leather cleaners where they remove some dye from the surface on lexus leather / vinyl so I stick to APC now which seems to be much more friendly.

• Like 2

Another 303 Areospace user here... It’s genuinely one of the best interior plastic dressings I’ve come across and can be used very sparingly indeed. It has barely any shine to it (if at all) if applied correctly and of course, non-greasy. My NX is too 'new' for it yet but I generally used it on the interior door panels of my UX when it got upwards of about 18 months old. They came up a treat and arguably looked better than new. It certainly isn’t the cheapest product of it's nature on the market, but worth every penny in my opinion. 

For the cracks and cervices, I have a set of very soft detail brushes. You can also use small artist-type brushes you can pick up from the likes of Hobbycraft.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links