Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Set a maximum speed

I thought I could set a maximum speed I seem to remember doing this , not as in cruise control with a set speed, but speed not exceed X ,have I gone mad or am I not doing something properly 

I've not come across a speed limiter on a Lexus, as is offered by the likes of Mercedes. It's something I miss, coming from MB. I found setting the limiter to, say 30 mph allows one to stay within urban limits without being at the limit, as one would with cruise control

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Had this on other makes but not on a Toyota or Lexus. However, cruise control does the same thing really.

But it doesn't, that's the point. With cruise control one is always at the max speed without any input from the driver. With a speed limiter set one can drive freely at any speed below that limit. It simply stops one from unintentionally over-speeding.

• Like 1

That may be the case for basic CC but not ACC. This clearly adapts to the speed of the traffic with the option to override at any time. Or just drive and control the speed yourself. 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moleman said:

That may be the case for basic CC but not ACC. This clearly adapts to the speed of the traffic with the option to override at any time. Or just drive and control the speed yourself. 😎

Radar controlled cruise control still tries to drive at the max speed set. I find it quite aggressive when the slower traffic moves away, certainly accelerates more quickly than I would normally.

With all the systems on the Lexus, far more driver adjustable settings than on the Mercs, I'm still amazed they haven't included a speed limiter or even a hard limiter for when winter tyres are fitted. Both quite common on German marques. I wonder if it's a regs thing in Japan?

• Like 1

Our Yaris has this (2021) and the briefly owned c-hr had it (2023) but no Lexus I've owned had a limiter. Shame because they're really useful. I have set the overspeed alarm to +3 and that helps to give one a nudge.

Not sure about older cars but my 2023 -24 model -NX 450h+ certainly has a speed limiter as per a number of MBenz I have had. 

interestingly when I took delivery of the car I asked the salesman during handover about this function and was told it did not have it - I phoned him the next day to tell him he was wrong!

my 2019 UX takumi certainly did not have it so must be a new addition

john

I had a limiter as long ago as 1999 on a BMW328ix, which was my last non-Lexus, and I must say it still miss it.  I can only imagine that Lexus feels unable to guarantee full reliability.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Radar controlled cruise control still tries to drive at the max speed set. I find it quite aggressive when the slower traffic moves away, certainly accelerates more quickly than I would normally.

With all the systems on the Lexus, far more driver adjustable settings than on the Mercs, I'm still amazed they haven't included a speed limiter or even a hard limiter for when winter tyres are fitted. Both quite common on German marques. I wonder if it's a regs thing in Japan?

Could be, should be simple enough to include.

Car logic!!

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Peter,

Given the answer's above it would seem that someone in Japan had a re-think.

Positive improvement. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input folkes , it looks like the Alzheimers has finally kicked in as I still recall using a limiter that plainly does not exist. Thats a big oversight from a premium manufacturer , and a pain in the rear for me as I live in 20mph everywhere London.

16 hours ago, Sunny jim said:

I thought I could set a maximum speed I seem to remember doing this , not as in cruise control with a set speed, but speed not exceed X ,have I gone mad or am I not doing something properly 

There is a mode button on the steering wheel that goes through 3 modes,

adaptive cruise control

cruise control 

speed limit control. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, NemesisUK said:

I've not come across a speed limiter on a Lexus, as is offered by the likes of Mercedes. It's something I miss, coming from MB. I found setting the limiter to, say 30 mph allows one to stay within urban limits without being at the limit, as one would with cruise control

We have a speed limiter on NX350h MY24 

I am not going gaga my 2018 Lexus NX 350H premium does indeed have a speed limiter although it wont work at speeds below 25mph,  also the manual makes no mention of this function. also I am not sure that it is working properly as it disconnects as soon as you touch the brakes which means you have to reset from scratch, more research on this is needed.

18 minutes ago, Sunny jim said:

I am not going gaga my 2018 Lexus NX 350H premium does indeed have a speed limiter although it wont work at speeds below 25mph,  also the manual makes no mention of this function. also I am not sure that it is working properly as it disconnects as soon as you touch the brakes which means you have to reset from scratch, more research on this is needed.

Yes it is meant to disconnect when you touch the brakes, as does the cruise control so it is working ok. Have not tried to set at less than 30 so something I will need to look at with all these 20mph restrictions coming in ……

• Like 1

Nope back to gaga it does not have a speed limiter ( you were all right ) what I was looking at was an additional function to cruise control which basically disconnects the the dynamic cruise control distance function , use it if your radar sensor is dirty or wont work says the manual .  All of which reminds me of the oft quoted adage , RTF Manual, sorry to have wasted everybody's time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunny jim said:

2018 NX350H are you sure?

3 hours ago, Sunny jim said:

Nope back to gaga it does not have a speed limiter ( you were all right ) what I was looking at was an additional function to cruise control which basically disconnects the the dynamic cruise control distance function , use it if your radar sensor is dirty or wont work says the manual .  All of which reminds me of the oft quoted adage , RTF Manual, sorry to have wasted everybody's time.

and we definitely have a speed limiter on 2023 (MY24) NX350h

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links