Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto wiper mode

Does anyone else find this feature fking frustrating? 
I get all the sensitivity settings but to me it works no better than an intermittent wiper. I’m having to increasing speed adjustments my manually flicking the sensitivity toggle. 
On lowest sensitivity setting it works when no rain at times and never increases when it’s heavy rain. I’ve played with the sensitivity settings and I am never able to get it right ie the higher the setting the more it continues to operate when the rain as either reduce to a spite or even continues to operate when the rain as stopped for way longer that it needs to. 
Any suggestions would be appreciated oh and yes I have sort Lexus advice but to no conclusion. 

The system is reactive not predictive, so it takes a few wipes before it can assess how heavily the rain is failing. Very fine rain can require a different setting to heavy 'summer' rain.

I found the system worked well on both my RCs and on my RX. Better than the system on the Mercs, where no adjustment was possible.

Also be aware it is possible to set the wipers to intermittent operation, check the handbook.

I think patience is sometimes required for the system to settle down 

It works but sometimes it can be frustrating like when driving on a motorway in a gentle shower then hit by a down pour but the wiper is still wiping at it's slow intermittent rate and by the time it catches up with the rain you have come out the other side into sunshine with no rain but the wipers have caught up and gone into supersonic mode to late.

Just saying. 

50 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The system is reactive not predictive, so it takes a few wipes before it can assess how heavily the rain is failing. Very fine rain can require a different setting to heavy 'summer' rain.

I found the system worked well on both my RCs and on my RX. Better than the system on the Mercs, where no adjustment was possible.

Also be aware it is possible to set the wipers to intermittent operation, check the handbook.

I think patience is sometimes required for the system to settle down 

Thank you for the reply. I tried all settings and as mentioned after your reply it often reacts quick enough for the conditions you find yourself in. I have a look again through the manual to see if I’ve missed something. 👍

45 minutes ago, Littorio said:

It works but sometimes it can be frustrating like when driving on a motorway in a gentle shower then hit by a down pour but the wiper is still wiping at it's slow intermittent rate and by the time it catches up with the rain you have come out the other side into sunshine with no rain but the wipers have caught up and gone into supersonic mode to late.

Just saying. 

Exactly my experience. Also when I’ve park up with the setting on auto return to the car drive off nice dry Sunny day and lo and behold the wipers start. 

Never liked the idea in the first place, usually has a mind of its own lol, one of those things we don't really need, but then again............lol😁🤣🙃😂

It takes a while to get used to the system.  Even if it is fortunately only a rare and usually not especially mysterious occurrence, the only thing I still find annoying - and I wish all annoyances in life were so minor - is the sensor's inability to optically distinguish between raindrops and other fleetingly present substances that might also cause wiper activation in dry conditions such as dust and dirt particles, insects etc. 

One thing I liked about my IS, and I assume it is the same in the RC, is that you can do a quick wipe manually anytime when in auto mode by moving the stalk so if the auto doesn't pick up when you want a wipe you can do it manually. I miss that on the UX. You have to take it out of auto mode to do a manual wipe.

In my experience it worked well, expect of very light rain/mist, where I had to use singe wipe option from time to time as the sensor was simply not triggering quickly enough on mist.

I had coating on widescreen, so realistically only light mist was the problem anyway as heavier rain would clear itself at sort of 30MPH+.

As well make sure you turn the sensitivity right way, from memory it was not intuitive +/- was upside down from what you would expect them.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links