Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing belt and water pump

Fractaltrader

2 minutes ago, Fractaltrader said:

Just been quoted a price of £1932.36 by Lexus for timing belt and water pump on a 2003 car. This seems way over the odds to me. What do you think it should cost?

All prices I have seen quoted were well below this. Is it a main dealer quoting?

I’m a little confused here, is the quote for an IS300h or the SC430?

Given the year mentioned is 2003 I would say the latter.

I know prices have gone up but we are in the rip off UK!
I would get myself an Aisin kit and find a good independent with 3UZ experience to fit it all.

Just to compare here is a US price!

If you say £500.00 for the kit here and 6 hours labour @ £600.00 it’s nowhere near the dealer quote.

IMG_0963.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’m a little confused here, is the quote for an IS300h or the SC430?

Given the year mentioned is 2003 I would say the latter.

Sorry, SC430. I’m looking at buying one, but the one I like has no evidence of this important work having been carried out.

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

An all day job by a competent mechanic with OEM parts about £200 ? maybe 

someone’s taking a huge amount of peeeeeeee at that £ 

Malc 

I think we are talking about the job on a SC430 Malc, V8 engine.

Andy I would haggle price down a grand to cover the cost 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes £400 ish + parts, about 5 hours work for someone quick who does it regularly. Purchase the parts from Lexus/Toyota and use a trusted  mechanic. I can recommend one in Sussex by the Sea.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:12 AM, Neil E said:

Yes £400 ish + parts, about 5 hours work for someone quick who does it regularly. Purchase the parts from Lexus/Toyota and use a trusted  mechanic. I can recommend one in Sussex by the Sea.

Had mine done 3yrs ago by independent on the  wirral £500 roughly including parts...Stew

Yes Stuart, I recently found an invoice for my cambelt dated 2019 for £550.

Had a search on eBay and you can purchase the parts/kit for under £300.

Watched videos on YouTube and a DIY mechanic (not me) could do the job himself. Loosen - to move - or remove the radiator for better access to the job.

Looks like a between 2 to 4 hour job depending on how many you have done before?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Nigel Coleman said:

OK...................4 hours.

If I had a garage and plenty of tools I would almost be tempted to do it myself.

If you have the tools, it can certainly be done. The 3UZ on the SC430 is a little easier than the 1UZ on the LS400 or Soarer. I would say 4 hours would be a very quick time for one person. I would pay for Lexus parts at a dealer and find a trusted mechanic if Lexus want to charge too much.   

I did replace the serpentine belt with a new gates one, that's relatively easy but tbh about the limit of my mechanical capability, also replaced all pads and rotors but didn't do handbrake shoes looked a bit confusing 🤔 

If it helps? I have recently paid for a major service, cam belt, serpentine belt, water pump and two front shocks. All service parts were either Lexus or OEM and of course the MOT. My local garage charged total £3386.91 the labour part was 28 hours costing £1456.

5 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

If it helps? I have recently paid for a major service, cam belt, serpentine belt, water pump and two front shocks. All service parts were either Lexus or OEM and of course the MOT. My local garage charged total £3386.91 the labour part was 28 hours costing £1456.

28 hrs seems a heck of a big job ! 
Well done 👍 

Malc 

9 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

Shocks were £289.50 each! Changing spark plugs probably was quite a long job. Just for OEM Oil was £89.99 it all adds up with a Lexus - empty wallet but peace of mind!!!

Philip

Peace of mind is priceless 

Maybe priceless is the wrong term to use ……. Your garage has taken “ advantage “ of your loyalty methinks and certainly not been slow in expanding their bill 

I just fail to see 28hrs labour charge tbh ……. that’s probably 4 whole, one-man working days worth of effort ……. 

You’re very trusting ……. 

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links