Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Pre-Reg Cars and New UX 300h...

I have been dithering on what car to replace my Prius with for months now and have been looking at the UX, C-HR, LBX and of course now the Gen 5 Prius is coming to the UK, that has been put into the mix too.  My first choice has really always been the UX as I fancy moving up to the Lexus brand and it just suits me even though it will be less practical than my Prius. The main thing that has held me back is that the UX would be 5 years into its lifespan by the time I took delivery in March 2024 which worried me as I know it will probably only be another 2-3 years before a second generation would be appearing.

However, I have noticed lately that there have been a lot of Pre-regs cars coming up on AutoTrader at very attractive prices.  They have been a little bit cheaper than cars coming through Car Wow, but they attracted me as I could have one now and not have to wait approx 3 months which would ease my worries a little over the next generation.  The only thing that was putting me off was (a) I would be the second owner and (b) why are the Pre-reg cars coming up as I have not seen this happen before?.

I contacted one of the dealers that came up on Car Wow for a new order and asked when would be the last date I would need to place my order to ensure March 1st delivery.  He came back to me today and said "The UX250h range is on run out / being superseded, by the UX 300h, no prices as yet , order system opening January 2024." I know Lexus registered 300h in October 2022, but I am surprised I have not seen any more about this.

I am not sure if this will be a second generation, probably just a revision to the engine/drivetrain, but this is one time where my indecisiveness has paid off. 

Watch this space I guess....

• Like 1

Been a lot of talk that the 250 is due a revision, wouldn't think it would  be dropped just leaving the 300 which is nowhere near as popular. The 300 has got to improve it's range as have the other electric Lexus models to be seriously considered unless you just want a shopping trolley.  I was in the dealers 2 days ago for service and plotting with salesman while waiting as to best replacement time for my 250 and no mention at all of possibly being dropped.

4 minutes ago, Bezzer said:

Been a lot of talk that the 250 is due a revision, wouldn't think it would  be dropped just leaving the 300 which is nowhere near as popular. The 300 has got to improve it's range as have the other electric Lexus models to be seriously considered unless you just want a shopping trolley.  I was in the dealers 2 days ago for service and plotting with salesman while waiting as to best replacement time for my 250 and no mention at all of possibly being dropped.

He did not mean the 250h would be dropped leaving just the 300e, he is saying the 250h Hybrid model is being replaced by the 300h Hybrid model.  I take that to mean that it will be getting the 5th generation hybrid set up as in the latest Corolla and now new C-HR, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Err the 300e is just the all electric version of the 250h which is a hybrid, they are the same apart from the power train. A 300h would just be the same as a 250h so what's the point?

Just now, Bezzer said:

Err the 300e is just the all electric version of the 250h which is a hybrid, they are the same apart from the power train. A 300h would just be the same as the 250h so what's the point?

I would say the change from 250 to 300 possibly points to the increased HP (194 vs 181) that the latest 2.0 hybrid in the Corolla has, so it distinguishes between the current 2.0 in the UX to the new one.... this is all supposition, I will wait and see what happens in January when he said the order books open up for the revised model.

1 hour ago, stepppy said:

I would say the change from 250 to 300 possibly points to the increased HP (194 vs 181)

You are probably correct but given that the number before the h is meant to signify the equivalent size of a normally aspirated petrol engine, does such a small increase in power really warrant a change from 2.5l to 3.0l.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

You are probably correct but given that the number before the h is meant to signify the equivalent size of a normally aspirated petrol engine, does such a small increase in power really warrant a change from 2.5l to 3.0l.

That’s interesting, I never knew that was the reason. I thought it was odd that it was called 250h when it had a 2.0 litre. That explains why the ES with its 2.5 litre is called 300h.  

4 hours ago, stepppy said:

That’s interesting, I never knew that was the reason. I thought it was odd that it was called 250h when it had a 2.0 litre. That explains why the ES with its 2.5 litre is called 300h.  

They don't really mention the nomenclature these days but when the first hybrid launched, the RX, it was positioned as having the economy of a 2.0 l RX but with the performance of a 4.0 l V8, hence it was called the RX 400h even though it only had a 3.3 l engine.

I can only guess that 190 bhp is the cut over point where it moves from 250h to 300h (the lowest 300h to date is the series I NX with 197 bhp) - this would be the first time a model gets regraded just because of a bump in power.

• Like 1

I purchased a pre-reg Premium Plus UX saving over £6.5k on retail in the process. Unlikely deals will be available on latest generation first orders.

1st owner or second owner not relevant anymore - smart money on buying pre-reg and saving a hill of money. No stigma anymore on 2nd owner status.

Some outlets need to pre-reg to secure volume bonus - or so it was back in the day. If that is not a thing anymore someone will raise their hand.

It was the Premium Plus I was looking at. The garage who said about the 300h change said they had a choice of Premium Plus models coming in which I could have had as new rather than Pre-reg, but I am going to wait and see what happens in January. 

I'm in no rush and if it’s just an engine revision/refresh or whatever (he didn’t have any details), then I will wait for 2nd generation whenever that may be. I’ve been dithering for so long now another 2 years or so won’t hurt then I will go for the Takumi 😆

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links