Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

An obvious question to some?

Phil xxkr

I know this sounds obvious but has only just occurred to me. I own a Jaguar XKR coupe which I barely use and now intend to sell on. I tax and insure it every year. My other car is a RX450H which is a brilliant everyday way to get about albeit for only 4k miles a year. So, in view of impending insurance hikes would you tax just the RX? Any thoughts welcome. 

51 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I know this sounds obvious but has only just occurred to me. I own a Jaguar XKR coupe which I barely use and now intend to sell on. I tax and insure it every year. My other car is a RX450H which is a brilliant everyday way to get about albeit for only 4k miles a year. So, in view of impending insurance hikes would you tax just the RX? Any thoughts welcome. 

As you asked I would tax this

2007 Silver Jaguar XKR 4.2 V8 Auto Euro 4 2dr for sale for £11,995 in Preston, Lancashire (autotrader.co.uk)

and dump the ugly monstrosity that offends thine eyes. I love my Lexus ,but I don't love all Lexus.

I have still not discounted buying the XKR as opposed to another SC 430 although the latter grabs me like nothing else quite does.

• Haha 1

2007 Silver Jaguar XKR 4.2 V8 Auto Euro 4 2dr for sale for £11,995 in Preston, Lancashire (autotrader.co.uk)

I understand that this is one of the old school Jags that were more or less reliable. Not the money pit that some are proving to be.

So I agree, dump the Lexus insurance liability and keep the Jag. Must be a lot more fun to drive and life's to short to drive boring cars/ to drink cheap wine/ to live an austere conservative lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GMB said:

I understand that this is one of the old school Jags that were more or less reliable. Not the money pit that some are proving to be.

So I agree, dump the Lexus insurance liability and keep the Jag. Must be a lot more fun to drive and life's to short to drive boring cars/ to drink cheap wine/ to live an austere conservative lifestyle.

I'll buy the booze you provide the Wigan kebabs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

If you use the RX regularly, it makes sense to keep it on the road and SORN the Jag.. £695/year tax is a lot just to keep it taxed as a driveway ornament. Especially if you intend to sell it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, H3XME said:

695/year tax is a lot just to keep it taxed as a driveway ornament

It certainly is!  Plus annual servicing, plus ripoff insurance.🤑

Jags have often been beautiful and prestigious luxury comfy powerful cars …… but often rust buckets and moneypits ……. Buy one and you just KNOW the probable financial consequences ……. Buy a sensible Lexus and the word moneypit should be consigned to history

I’m thinking you’ll be making the right decisions

Malc  

You can't sell the Jaguar because then your forum username would make no sense 😉

The £695 tax is punitive though and I suspect will be the death of many of these older large engine cars, yes I get the environmental argument but that is negated because most of these cars will be covering low mileages only.

1 minute ago, Spock66 said:

You can't sell the Jaguar because then your forum username would make no sense 😉

The £695 tax is punitive though and I suspect will be the death of many of these older large engine cars, yes I get the environmental argument but that is negated because most of these cars will be covering low mileages only.

My ultimate argument is £695pa to make your driveway look like a work of art is a lot less than you would pay a gardener to do the same and you cannot even drive your gardener at 0 to 60 in 6 s unless you pop a stick of dynamite in his wheelbarrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, VFR said:

Funny how tastes differ, now for me I would instantly pass by that pastel blue  (to think someone ordered that new) 2 door money pit..

Tastes do not differ. There is mine which is good taste and then there are those which are not ☺️

In truth life would just be so boring if we all liked the same thing, don't you think?

48 minutes ago, Brian R said:

Can you keep the Jag for fun days? Tax/insure it for say 6 months/year? I had an "occupier" in my garage for many years and only taxed/insured it when I felt the urge.

My brother just pays his road tax monthly. Although more expensive he says it just makes it so much easier to go Sorn whenever he wishes to without all the usual refund process.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

life would just be so boring if we all liked the same thing, don't you think

Good point..... but take it a step further and If that were true there would only be one car.

What would it be?  I think it would be a camel.

20 minutes ago, GMB said:

Good point..... but take it a step further and If that were true there would only be one car.

What would it be?  I think it would be a camel.

Of course a jaguar ….. with a tiger in the tank 

Malc 

Funnily enough I went from an XK8 to an RX 450h and haven't regretted it. The XK was fun, but the grand tourer notion came from it costing a grand every time it went in to the garage.

If you don't use it much then I'd offload it as quickly as possible, as the more it sits around the more it's likely to develop problems like corrosion, or things playing up. The Jag was certainly a nice car to drive, once you're in it, but the getting in and out got tiresome after a while, and so I much prefer just stepping into the RX. Since making the switch I wished I'd done it sooner as, apart from the lower cost of ownership, I also find the RX an all round nicer car to drive.

I always wanted an XK but, much like they say about boats, my two happiest days were the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Funnily enough I went from an XK8 to an RX 450h and haven't regretted it. The XK was fun, but the grand tourer notion came from it costing a grand every time it went in to the garage.

If you don't use it much then I'd offload it as quickly as possible, as the more it sits around the more it's likely to develop problems like corrosion, or things playing up. The Jag was certainly a nice car to drive, once you're in it, but the getting in and out got tiresome after a while, and so I much prefer just stepping into the RX. Since making the switch I wished I'd done it sooner as, apart from the lower cost of ownership, I also find the RX an all round nicer car to drive.

I always wanted an XK but, much like they say about boats, my two happiest days were the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

You might have saved me some money although in fairness Malc said virtually the same thing earlier. Opinion seems to be of one mind.

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

You might have saved me some money although in fairness Malc said virtually the same thing earlier. Opinion seems to be of one mind.

To add some balance, I should say that I don't regret buying one, as it was something I always wanted, and so was an itch I needed to scratch. I really enjoyed it while I had it, and in hindsight wouldn't have done anything different. Like they say, regrets are often about what you didn't do, and not what you did.

Ultimately it's about how much you want it, and if you can justify the cost. Mine was an older one (1999) and to be fair was reliable enough to never break down on me once in the 10 years I owned it. Most of the expense came in things like brakes, suspension, and a recon transmission, as well as ever growing corossion issues. I think the newer ones were less prone to the latter though. As a used car, you get a lot of car for the money.

There's no right answer unfortunately.

• Like 1

The first question to ask yourself is - can you afford to run the Jag throughout the year?

If not a SORN for 6 months will help a little.

The answer may be yes but other factors muddy the waters. 

The RX is a very practical car, compared to the Jag.

Would you be able to live your lifestyle with just the Jag?

The ongoing costs of the Jaguar might make you feel uneasy, even if you can afford it.

You need to weigh all these ponderables and either let your head rule your heart or the other way round!

I would be interested to know what you decide and why!

I have a similar "problem" with my LS400.

I don't really need to run two cars.

I do a low mileage in the LS for the cost of insurance and road tax.

Whenever I drive it - I do not wish to part with it. I will never be able to get another example like it.

As I rely on garages to maintain my cars, the crunch will come when I need to decide whether to spend money on the old girl or say goodbye. 

As people have stated, the LS 400 is getting on in years and there must come a time when it gets to the point that they are either too expensive to fix or can't be fixed.

If I had to make a choice between my NX300h and the LS - the NX would win for many sensible reasons. They main ones being practicality and reliability.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The first question to ask yourself is - can you afford to run the Jag throughout the year?

The ongoing costs of the Jaguar might make you feel uneasy, even if you can afford it.

You need to weigh all these ponderables and either let your head rule your heart or the other way round!

Whenever I drive it - I do not wish to part with it. I will never be able to get another example like it.

As I rely on garages to maintain my cars, the crunch will come when I need to decide whether to spend money on the old girl or say goodbye. 

As people have stated, the LS 400 is getting on in years and there must come a time when it gets to the point that they are either too expensive to fix or can't be fixed.

If I had to make a choice between my NX300h and the LS - the NX would win for many sensible reasons. They main ones being practicality and reliability.

Practicality and reliability are all well and good ,but do they feed your innerman? You could just let that innerman whispering to you have their moment in the sun and who knows may be you are happier and the world as you know it doesn't stop turning.

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

…… and the reliability issues with the Ls400 are ??? 
Malc 

55 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

…… and the reliability issues with the Ls400 are ??? 
Malc 

Driven by old boomers ? 😀

Not sure where I read it today, but someone decided that with over 6 million over 70's driving it might be time to revisit the rules regarding driving tests. I thought yeah just as I decide to do my James Dean impression some grey bureaucrat puts me on their not wanted list.

Also reading far fewer teens are wanting to drive ! 

Clear out the Oldies and the Kids eh ! 

Granddaughter age 18 just passed her Test and insurance cost first year about £4k, in her name, with her dad named driver ( clean licence etc ) to reduce the premium as much as possible ….. car basic 2003 Ford Fiesta …… nil value really 

Lucky girl her grandad is rich 🤑 😂🥵

Malc 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Cost of a toy!

Never an economic argument.

Her own transport to get to and fro work at a local hotel working weekends and unsocial late/ night time - early hours AND Full Time College too …… 

a. TOY  🥵

I think not ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links