Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

frozen doors

15 minutes ago, HighlandJohn said:

I've found with my previous car(s) that an application of this stuff to the rubber door seals helps in the frosty weather  :thumbsup:

image.jpeg.1cafd9895e6ff532f3595cff8dad7d64.jpeg

I was applying some yesterday 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had trouble this week getting in due to frozen handles (same as last year). Luckily I went into Lexus Bolton for car to be serviced today. I mentioned the handles and said there was a bulletin about replacements and was told they would check. I collected my car tonight and result. They have ordered the updated handles for my vehicle. Booked in for next week for fitting subject to parts arriving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/30/2023 at 9:15 AM, BonzoSPB said:

I'm ringing Lexus today as the inability to get into the car with frozen doors is ridiculous. The last time I suffered from similar issues was in the early 90s with a Mark II Orion.

At around 7pm last night I needed to use the car. It hadn't been used since the previous evening so was pretty iced up. It took me over 5 minutes to get into the driver's door with the aid of warm water. The passenger side front door would only open from the inside. I never managed to open the rear doors after over 15 minutes of warm water treatment.

I didn't manage to open any of the windows after what seemed to be a thorough defrosting from the inside.

It's now 9am and the car is frozen over again so let's see if I can find a way of entering the Lexus NX450 Houdini edition.

Update - one thing I noticed last night when trying to open the rear doors is how lightweight and flimsy the door panels are. The amount of movement in the panel was something I've never experienced on a car for many years.

The frozen door locks are known on the NX350/450. The rubber pressure pad freezes and does not then function. Ask the dealers to order and fit the replacement door handles which Lexus have developed to overcome the issue. Mine were ordered last week. If they sayvthey know nothing about it tell them to read the bulletins issued by Lexus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lexus Chester weren't aware of the bulletin but new handles now on order. 

Stopped to put petrol in on the way to the dealer and found the (previously fixed) petrol flap wouldn't open, eventually got it open, went into pay and then couldn't open the car door until I'd warmed the button up with my fingers !

• Sad 3

Also had issues with not being able to see through the windscreen as the washers were frozen. My old Volvo had heated washers but don't think the NX has.

• Like 2

Having had a heated front screen on my last car (which was half the price of my NX), I am disappointed with the winter experience, which spoils an otherwise excellent car. Had to phone my dealer today after a few days of frozen doors, frozen wipers and frozen washer nozzles. Even the most basic of environmental chamber and real world testing during development would have revealed the inadequacy of the set up. I'll  say no more as there is so much to like about the NX.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My washer nozzles are frozen but I know that my washer fluid was nowhere near being strong enough to stand the frost so on next top up I'll be putting in a winter concentration. I called my local Lexus dealer about the stuck petrol cap so they're going to order the replacement part for that too - something to do with the spring apparently.

Lexus Norway must be busy at the moment.

• Thanks 1

after having no issues last year I’ve finally been caught by the frozen handle problem. As I’m popping to the dealer today to discuss the fuel filler flap not opening again I’ll add this to the list.  Car has been in the dealership almost as often as a Range Rover now!

not impressed with this iteration of car but looking at competitors out there at least Lexus seem to be doing something about things, once you convince the dealership of the problem

• Thanks 1

All four doors frozen this morning. Warm water and patience was the highly unsatisfactory solution. I have my car booked in early next month for replacement handles and the dealership said I can use the manual unlock (using the blade key in the fob) as a temporary solution.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

All four doors frozen this morning. Warm water and patience was the highly unsatisfactory solution. I have my car booked in early next month for replacement handles and the dealership said I can use the manual unlock (using the blade key in the fob) as a temporary solution.

Had my doors fixed yesterday. Prior to that I had to use warm water on two occasions in the last few weeks. I put the warm water in a flask and took it with me in case it froze again at my destination.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all on this post, I asked Lexus Swindon to order and fit door handle parts when they programme my second key in ten days time. They had no idea about the bulletin I was able to reference - thank you again -,and would have to “research” the matter before any parts could be ordered. I’m trying to save two trips to the dealer. Fat chance I’m thinking. 
Good to know the fix at least appears to work - thanks Ken R and others. Frozen out two days in a row last week was no fun. 
why is everything so tough? 
PS I love my car though! 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:36 PM, Eggie said:

The frozen door locks are known on the NX350/450. The rubber pressure pad freezes and does not then function. Ask the dealers to order and fit the replacement door handles which Lexus have developed to overcome the issue. Mine were ordered last week. If they sayvthey know nothing about it tell them to read the bulletins issued by Lexus.

They knew nothing about it. I even quoted the bulletin reference number but that didn’t seem to ring any bells waiting to hear but I know I’ll have to call them again. 

10 hours ago, Harry Junior said:

why is everything so tough? 
PS I love my car though! 

Everything does seem tough / difficult just now - ever since covid 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my second key fob today and expected frozen door syndrome to be fixed. Nope. Despite quoted Lexus bulletin being given to dealer they failed to recognise. It’s not a recall. Rather, they will submit data to Lexus from vehicle taken today to demonstrate my attempts at non-opening doors, and await Lexus reaction to my freezing handles. Only then will they act. I recounted several successful examples from this forum but that drew only a nice smirk “ we cannot react to forum remarks “ 

I find it hard to believe that my vehicle actually records failed attempts to open doors, but what do I know? I can see this tapering away to non action eventually. Much the same as locking wheel nuts “no longer supplied with the NX” 

Oh, and the new service staff showed me how to release the door handle when frozen. Wait for it - the mechanical door release under the handle - pull it out et voila, the door opens. Really?? 

8 hours ago, Harry Junior said:

Despite quoted Lexus bulletin being given to dealer they failed to recognise. It’s not a recall. Rather, they will submit data to Lexus from vehicle taken today to demonstrate my attempts at non-opening doors, and await Lexus reaction to my freezing handles. Only then will they act. I recounted several successful examples from this forum but that drew only a nice smirk “ we cannot react to forum remarks “ 

This is how TSBs work unfortunately. The owner needs to complain of the symptom in a TSB in order to have the work done - which needs to be authorised by head office so the dealer will be paid for their labour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As per my previous post I am booked in early next month for new handles. I rang the dealer after all my handles were frozen one morning (a couple of weeks ago) and after picking up the info from this thread. Speaking to the dealership they said they had only discovered the TSB that week afer another owner called to complain. They didn't ask for any further info and booked my car in.

Regarding using the manual key and release, I found it very difficult to remove the plastic cover to expose the lock, in fact I was concerned that I would break the cover so I failed to use the method.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

This is how TSBs work unfortunately. The owner needs to complain of the symptom in a TSB in order to have the work done - which needs to be authorised by head office so the dealer will be paid for their labour.

You give me hope. I’ll post the outcome. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just had an update from my dealer, eta for replacement door handles from Japan is 24 January. It does depend on colour though, some colours are easier to get hold of than others.

I don't know if I can make it until then but I've bought some of those handwarmers that slip inside your glove just in case. Hoping that if the doors do freeze up again, these will help defrost them (I didn't have much joy with warm water).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was told by my dealer that handles were back ordered until January so I’m also hoping the weather stays reasonable until then. 

I didn’t have any issues last year but had it a few times this year. I can always send the kids in through the boot to open the door if nothing else works

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SA1 said:

I didn’t have any issues last year but had it a few times this year. I can always send the kids in through the boot to open the door if nothing else works

Is that not child abuse 😅😅

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links