Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

frozen doors

36 minutes ago, johns250 said:

frost here again cannot open doors.had to pour warm water over handle.

I have a couple of gel packs I put inside ski gloves to keep hands warm. I break one of those and hold it on the handle. It's bit kinder to the car I think although that may be me just misunderstanding the science of it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, johns250 said:

frost here again cannot open doors.had to pour warm water over handle.

There was a recall modification to address this which I had done a few months ago. Haven't tested it out completely yet although we did have a slight frost yesterday and I managed to get the doors open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken R said:

There was a recall modification to address this which I had done a few months ago. Haven't tested it out completely yet although we did have a slight frost yesterday and I managed to get the doors open.

Ken, do you happen to know the recall/campaign ID?

From previous post 

I have had the door freeze issue on my 2022 NX350h, on annual service in September I asked the service department about any solutions, and there is:- ref Bulletin BE-00971L-TME

Parts were ordered, and  I have had 4 new door handles fitted - so far all OK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Ken, do you happen to know the recall/campaign ID?

Hi Colin

I had various conversations with my dealer (Lexus Edinburgh) regards this issue and they kept me updated on progress towards a solution. Car was booked in for recall YGG27 (DC converter replacement) and the dealer confirmed that a revised handle release mechanism had been developed and replaced the door handles at the same time as this recall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, Alan Thompson said:

I might be jinxing myself here, but I didn't have this problem last winter.

I asked the dealer about the situation and was told that they'd checked and my car wasn't one that was affected.

GUESS WHAT - as predicted I jinxed myself!!!! 🫢

This morning with minus 3 overnight the rear offside passenger door wouldn't open. Luckily the drivers door did.

I shall be having words next week when the fuel filler flap is replaced - something else I was told wasn't needed on my car!!

I'm still not experiencing amazing!

I am wondering in what timescale and on what grounds you can reject a car? This is rhetorical so doesn't need answers.

It was the first 'proper frost' for me this morning since I've had the NX. It was fluctuating between 0 and -1oC.

Fortunately mine was okay. I don't use the passenger side doors in the morning so I can't comment on them (they'd be more 'exposed' to the weather with the way I park). The driver's door was fine. The offside rear took a few 'squeezes' of the little button inside the handle but it did ultimately open up fine. 

It's something I'll just keep an eye on. 

My only worry is that with auto folding/opening mirrors in this cold weather. There was an awful lot of 'crackling' sounds from the breaking of ice this morning as they opened out and it wasn't too clever folding in when I locked the car when I got to work. 😬 I'd like to deactivate them folding during the cold spell but without a manual, I haven't a clue how to do so. The online thingy suggests it's a button on the drivers door (page 147/148). I've had to screenshot the pages, print them off and I'll take it out to the car later... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gary H said:

It was the first 'proper frost' for me this morning since I've had the NX. It was fluctuating between 0 and -1oC.

Fortunately mine was okay. I don't use the passenger side doors in the morning so I can't comment on them (they'd be more 'exposed' to the weather with the way I park). The driver's door was fine. The offside rear took a few 'squeezes' of the little button inside the handle but it did ultimately open up fine. 

It's something I'll just keep an eye on. 

My only worry is that with auto folding/opening mirrors in this cold weather. There was an awful lot of 'crackling' sounds from the breaking of ice this morning as they opened out and it wasn't too clever folding in when I locked the car when I got to work. 😬 I'd like to deactivate them folding during the cold spell but without a manual, I haven't a clue how to do so. The online thingy suggests it's a button on the drivers door (page 147/148). I've had to screenshot the pages, print them off and I'll take it out to the car later... 

I think on drivers door panel there is a mirror button which if illuminated (auto) will auto fold mirrors. (Button on the left of this manually folds in mirrors.)

Press this button and mirrors will remain out. (hopefully 😀)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Below zero here overnight but no issues with the doors so hopefully the revised handles have solved the previous issues. Have had the car for 20 months now and used the remote climate for the first time this morning. Car beautifully warm and windows defrosted!

34 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Below zero here overnight but no issues with the doors so hopefully the revised handles have solved the previous issues. Have had the car for 20 months now and used the remote climate for the first time this morning. Car beautifully warm and windows defrosted!

-4 here, but Lexigirl opened first time and said 'jump in here big boy'.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ken R said:

I also used remote climate this morning Ken. The new app doesn't allow you to choose the length of time you want to pre-heat, or at least I couldn't find an option.

Also, I haven't done it myself yet but I once read a tip whereby lowering the sun blinds helps direct more of the warm air to the windscreen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Thompson said:

I also used remote climate this morning Ken. The new app doesn't allow you to choose the length of time you want to pre-heat, or at least I couldn't find an option.

Also, I haven't done it myself yet but I once read a tip whereby lowering the sun blinds helps direct more of the warm air to the windscreen.

Yes Alan. I thought I would be able to determine the time but was only offered a standard 20 mins. Worked perfectly though.

I have used the remote climate a few times now, which is a very nice feature that might help with frozen doors. Heats the seats, steering wheel, warms the car, clears windows and door mirrors ready for your journey. 

• Like 2

I'm ringing Lexus today as the inability to get into the car with frozen doors is ridiculous. The last time I suffered from similar issues was in the early 90s with a Mark II Orion.

At around 7pm last night I needed to use the car. It hadn't been used since the previous evening so was pretty iced up. It took me over 5 minutes to get into the driver's door with the aid of warm water. The passenger side front door would only open from the inside. I never managed to open the rear doors after over 15 minutes of warm water treatment.

I didn't manage to open any of the windows after what seemed to be a thorough defrosting from the inside.

It's now 9am and the car is frozen over again so let's see if I can find a way of entering the Lexus NX450 Houdini edition.

Update - one thing I noticed last night when trying to open the rear doors is how lightweight and flimsy the door panels are. The amount of movement in the panel was something I've never experienced on a car for many years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

I'm ringing Lexus today as the inability to get into the car with frozen doors is ridiculous. The last time I suffered from similar issues was in the early 90s with a Mark II Orion.

At around 7pm last night I needed to use the car. It hadn't been used since the previous evening so was pretty iced up. It took me over 5 minutes to get into the driver's door with the aid of warm water. The passenger side front door would only open from the inside. I never managed to open the rear doors after over 15 minutes of warm water treatment.

I didn't manage to open any of the windows after what seemed to be a thorough defrosting from the inside.

It's now 9am and the car is frozen over again so let's see if I can find a way of entering the Lexus NX450 Houdini edition.

Update - one thing I noticed last night when trying to open the rear doors is how lightweight and flimsy the door panels are. The amount of movement in the panel was something I've never experienced on a car for many years.

I don't know why you are complaining! This is actually the latest in Lexus security features. Even if you defeat the CANbus you still can't get in the vehicle!!! Genius indeed. 🙂

Paul

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, PDM said:

I don't know why you are complaining! This is actually the latest in Lexus security features. Even if you defeat the CANbus you still can't get in the vehicle!!! Genius indeed. 🙂

Paul

By jove 'sherlock' you're a blinking genius ☺️

• Haha 3

My remote climate only allows me ten minutes. It was just about enough to do the work of defrosting sufficiently this morning - so I don't think I would like it to get much colder! (For the record - I had it set at 25oC, with the rear heated window/mirrors on, front windscreen blower on and the driver's heated seat). There was still a little ice on both front and rear windows, but only tiny bits. Yesterday when it was a few degrees warmer, the car was pretty much clear. Maybe I need to start increasing the temperature a bit?

The app did 'derp out' a bit - in a way it's never done before. It connected to the car fine, but about two minutes later, I noticed on my phone I had a notification which told me 'connection was interrupted' and the picture of the rotating fan had stopped circling. 🤔 It was if it had turned itself off. I went to the window to check on the car and it was clearly running as it should. Absolutely bizarre. As I've said in other posts, I've had issues with the app timing out and simply not connecting to the car to start it on several occasions, but this is the first time the app has worked, then itself claiming connection was interrupted whilst the car was still doing it's 'remote climate thing'. 

No issues with either offside handles this morning, I'm pleased to report. 👍 Again, this is something I'm just going to have to keep in mind and hopefully avoid the issues others are having. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links