Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How avoid start engine automatically during low temperature

Hi everybody,

I just drive my NX450h+ at zero degree , I didn't turn on AC or heat pump . I just turned on heated seat and heated steer. But the engine started automatically even in EV mode.

How can I avoid the engine start automatically? I have enough electric power to run EV mode , but it force me to burn oil..😢

Thanks so much.

Alistair is right, the system decides. The HVAC system is limited in the amount of heat it can produce so in cold temperatures, the engine will kick in to provide the necessary heat for the electrical system and the passengers. The engine may also kick in if there is extra load, going up hill for example. For efficiency, the engine doesn't cut out immediately, the engine needs to get up to operating temperature. Trust the system, unlike the app, it is well sorted and works well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The engine will also start if you select front demist. I assume the heat pump can't deliver heat fast enough to meet the legislative time for clearing. However if you pre-heat from the app the heat pump alone is used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Maybe setting the interior temperature to minimum (no AC) may help as the engine starts primarily to provide interior heat.

Thanks for your reply.😊🙏 Actually I wanna keep the AC / heat pump off . I can feel comfortable with the heated seat and heated steer. So I think my car can still run in EV mode. Unfortunately I am wrong.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Maybe setting the interior temperature to minimum (no AC) may help as the engine starts primarily to provide interior heat.

Thanks for your reply.😊🙏 Actually I turned off AC and heat pump. I can feel comfortable with the heated seat and heated steer.  Unfortunately even that it still can't run in EV mode.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

The engine will also start if you select front demist. I assume the heat pump can't deliver heat fast enough to meet the legislative time for clearing. However if you pre-heat from the app the heat pump alone is used.

If I include front demist (option) as part of the app remote climate, the engine currently still starts up to clear the screen in a timely fashion.

12 hours ago, Richolf said:

I wonder if it is starting to warm the battery.  I preheated mine this morning and the engine didn’t come on.   Dash wash showing -1

There is a separate traction Battery heater/cooler function

13 hours ago, Richolf said:

I wonder if it is starting to warm the battery.  I preheated mine this morning and the engine didn’t come on.   Dash wash showing -1

I preheated my car before driving too. But engine still started......

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Johnnyw204 said:

How can I avoid the engine start automatically? I have enough electric power to run EV mode , but it force me to burn oil..😢

It is not a fully electric car, so one has to use oil at least occasionally, otherwise it is not good for the engine. If it happens in the morning during cold weather so be it.

At least it does not waste as much as it uses the heat produced, unlike running an engine in summer. 

• Like 2

I don't have the 450h+ but in the 300h, doesn't the engine like to get to temperature in case it's needed suddenly? To suddenly load a freezing cold engine with the whole weight of the vehicle would be bad.... wouldn't it? 🤔

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links