Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential LC500 Owner after a little advice

Dingle Dell

Bright Yellow tennis ball on bright yellow string duly ordered. It will blend in with the car rather well lol.

Hoping to pick the car up next week sometime - shame the weathers so crap.

Top tips for the last gen info screen… use it in split mode. On the right you want climate. Left, whatever you want (music for me as sat nav is pants in all cars).

Then make sure climate is on Auto (concierge) for passenger seat, wheel and drivers seat. 

if you find the auto function is a little too warm or hot change it the settings for a different default.

job done! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picked the car up, though the journey home wasn't exactly relaxing what with Friday traffic, an A1 closure and my satnav taking me down increasingly narrow lanes on a diversion... anyway, I got home in one piece in the end. Work then got really busy and coupled with the rubbish weather, the car hasn't been out the garage too much - that should change very soon!

That being said, I have driven it enough to find out that the Bridgestones aren't the grippiest of tyres when it's cold and wet. 

I haven't found the track-pad too bad to be honest, and personally, i'm glad my car has come with the 'old' dash rather than with the touch screen, as I wasn't a fan of how it had been implemented (and I like the clock..).

• Like 1

Welcome to the fold. You can now “relax” for almost 10 years or whatever the balance of the warranty is. Not many cars you can say that about!

Comforting to know the 10 year cover on Lexus cars will give peace of mind for owners if you just service it at your local Lexus dealer once a year.  It's worth going on the Lexus UK website and find the section on their 10 year warranty and then print off the terms and conditions which drill down to the nitty gritty of the warranty.   Comprehensive as it is there is a significant section on what's not covered over and above routine service items but let's face it Lexus cars have a great reliability reputation and when the principle high cost areas of the car like, engine, gearbox, differential, suspension,  the ecu's etc are covered it gives you a sense of comfort and despite the hybrid Battery not being mentioned directly it is covered under it's own warranty with an annual health check certificate extending it for 12 months.  If I'm quoting correctly there is a 15 year cover period on the hybrid Battery but not sure what happens after that as there doesn't appear to be any real evidence that Lexus replace these regularly due to failure. 

Here is what is referenced in the warranty document in regard to  EV components and Hydrogen fuel cells.

Hybrid Components (when above 5 years and 100,000 miles base warranty cover): Hybrid Battery Control Module; Hybrid Control Module; and Hybrid inverter with converter. Hydrogen Fuel Cell Components: Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter; Fuel Cell H2 Tanks; Fuel Cell PCU (Power Control Unit) and Fuel Cell Stack. EV Components: Drive motor and inverter with converter.

Maybe Colin Barber (Staff) can comment on the hybrid Battery itself and correct any incorrect assumptions.  

Still if you have a car without a Hybrid Battery then there's nothing to go wrong.    

Thinking of buying a used LC500 to replace my bimmer.

It would probably be either that or  a new giulia QV that costs about the same money as a used 3 years old LC  ( or nothing)

So the obvious question is, is the LC500  fast and engaging enough?

I have seen some youtube videos where  0-100 km/h is close to 5.5sec, which is not what I would expect at this price point.
I wiould be happy If it achieves the advertised 4.7 secm but 5.5 is  a bit slow.

Don't get me wrong,  I know it is a GT rather than a sports car, but even so I would expect a sub-5 seconds 0-100

Cheers

If your looking for a fast and engaging car then dont buy a LC, as you have said its a GT not a sports car that weighs close to two tons

the only difference between the LC and the Giulia QV is that your loose your licence 1.2 seconds quicker 😀

• Like 1

The LC is a relaxing cruiser with enough grip and grunt to have a bit of fun, all the while looking and sounding stunning.

If you want engaging, get something lighter with a better power to weight ratio. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, talaipwros said:

Thinking of buying a used LC500 to replace my bimmer.

It would probably be either that or  a new giulia QV that costs about the same money as a used 3 years old LC  ( or nothing)

So the obvious question is, is the LC500  fast and engaging enough?

I have seen some youtube videos where  0-100 km/h is close to 5.5sec, which is not what I would expect at this price point.
I wiould be happy If it achieves the advertised 4.7 secm but 5.5 is  a bit slow.

Don't get me wrong,  I know it is a GT rather than a sports car, but even so I would expect a sub-5 seconds 0-100

Cheers

If Top Trump numbers are of importance to you, my gut feeling is.... don't buy one.

Having had a QV a couple of years ago, it's certainly more of an engaging car when driven hard, but unfortunately when driven hard, you will find yourself doing license losing speeds far too easily. When driven at legal speeds, I didn't find it that much of a thrill.

The LC is more of an event, and sounds nicer; it just wouldn't see which way a QV went in most situations, so if that would bother you, then go with the QV. 

The other factor to consider is reliability; I had no issues with my QV, but many owners have had issues (mainly electrical), and the customer care is poor. The Lexus warranty and service will be far, far superior, giving peace of mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At his insistence, took my young son for a drive yesterday and we had a lot of fun with the windows down, in a tunnel or two, “haha daddy so loud” all the while staying under the speed limits.  At one point we encountered a few older hot hatches obviously racing each other in the opposite direction.  I have no doubt that either of these young guns, in their SEATS or fiestas, would be faster than us, but not necessarily having more fun.  That the beauty of the LC and the V8 - you’re having such an experience pootling around town with the engine burbling or going through the first 3 gears that you don’t have to push the boundaries on a public road.

I’ve got to say when the car is warm - the sound of up changes (a crack)  down changes (autoblipped) are among the best I’ve ever experienced in an auto.  

• Like 1

As above, the actual numbers are irrelevant. It’s the feel, the experience. 20 mph in traffic in this GT can in some ways be as rewarding as 70 mph on a country road in other supposedly similar cars. It’s mostly down to the engine but the design, quality and so on also play a part.

What i'm liking about the yellow is it really doesn't show the dirt. Hasn't been cleaned since I bought it and has been out in some miserable weather, but still looks great. Hopefully will get a chance to give it a clean this weekend, as the weather looks good.

lc500 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need a favor. Can someone provide the depth of the LC500 hardtop trunk. I have to place a handicap (stability) walker in the trunk. The trunk on a convertible is not deep enough. I hope the hardtop trunk is deeper because space to store the convertible soft top is no longer needed. This is the final thing I need to check off before I purchase a LC500. Thank you.

Mines a petrol coupe and it’s 94cm from the rear to where the back seats are.  That’s where it’s deepest and where the roof mechanism will most probably intrude, not at the sides.  That deepest area is 80cm wide.

The boot area has all sorts of bumps and bulges which diminish it, and the boot lid protrudes down in places, so id recommend finding a v8 coupe and see if your walker fits either in the boot or in the back seats, and don’t rely on abstract measurements.

i find it handy but I generally travel light or with multiple small bags and items that you can play Tetris with till they go in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links