Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls600hl wing mirror does not automatically fold in

Newbie777

Hello, 

Merry Christmas!

My drivers side wing mirror all works,and retracts fully, but does not fold in automatically, regardless of using the buttons or key fob.

My car is the 2010 Ls600hl model, so has the built in LED side turn indicators, there are a few on eBay, including a pair from UAE.

My question is..

Can the wing mirror housing, come apart?

From the eBay mirror pictures I just see fron the bottom of the mirror, with 3 long bolts and a cable connector (which has 10 wires). If it can I may be able to fix the mirror or replace the inner housing.

If not, then it is a replacement job and a colour match, which I do not want to do!

Thanks

Screenshot_20231225_215844_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231225_214424_eBay.jpg

As the auto fold works ok and the drivers side mirror retracts ok then I'd guess a controller malfunction if it's just that one function that doesn't work on that side. The mirror isn't getting the command to retract on locking , replacing the mirror isn't likely to fix that. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

As the auto fold works ok and the drivers side mirror retracts ok then I'd guess a controller malfunction if it's just that one function that doesn't work on that side. The mirror isn't getting the command to retract on locking , replacing the mirror isn't likely to fix that. 

Oh, I think the cause of the issue was mechanical, so imagine the car reversing out of a garage and the wing mirror hits the wall and folds out the wrong way. I accidently did this one month ago, but the issue was there beforehand so I think I just replicated what may have happened!

Also 3 months ago when I bought the car, the drivers side mirror did not automatically retract either. However, a few weeks ago, it healed itself and the mirror now fully retracts automically, everytime...Again, I think this was mechanical as I could hear the motor working, just no movement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Perhaps a bit of lubrication and help might get it working i.e press the fold button and push the mirror in.

From experience the mirror motors are quite robust

Thanks definitely a good idea.

Also just wanted to know  (like most German cars)  if the mirror could be dissembled by taking out the mirror first and accessing the internals - rather than the bigger job of  taking out the door card and undoing the bolts?

5 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Thanks definitely a good idea.

Also just wanted to know  (like most German cars)  if the mirror could be dissembled by taking out the mirror first and accessing the internals - rather than the bigger job of  taking out the door card and undoing the bolts?

Years ago I had to replace the rear cover of one of my mirrors  - I had to remove the mirror glass from the front using brute force - If I remember correctly this only gives access to the heating and mirror adjustment side of things. - y gut feeling is you may need to remove the mirror from the door for full access - this will mean removing the door card - which is very easy on the LS430.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Years ago I had to replace the rear cover of one of my mirrors  - I had to remove the mirror glass from the front using brute force - If I remember correctly this only gives access to the heating and mirror adjustment side of things. - y gut feeling is you may need to remove the mirror from the door for full access - this will mean removing the door card - which is very easy on the LS430.

Thank you and that makes sense. My other car is German and to replace the glass, I did like you mentioned.

The door card should be simple 3 screws and unclip window housing and then undo the clips on the edges.

Happy to pay £100 for a secondhand one. Just not happy ascit will be exact colour match, so if can undo it and replace internals Bbrill.

Update..

Tried WD40 and no good.

Listened to the motor sound when tried to fold in the mirror no sound, we could not open the  mirror plastic housing either.

Looks like another mirror will be required.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest

Ordered the wing mirror from eBay.

Gave my car details, same colour, size etc. Guess what? The connector is different, less wires too!

Looks like my car has extra features and this maybe off a Japanese or 460?

The mechanic opened up the faulty one. The aluminium inside was fairly corroded, managed to get the motor to work a little bit. So now mirror folds in 3/10, but still have manually push it.

Will look for another mirror.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Latest

Ordered the wing mirror from ebay.

Gave my car details, same colour, size etc. Guess what? The connector is different, less wires too!

Looks like my car has extra features and this maybe off a Japanese or 460?

The mechanic opened up the faulty one. The aluminium inside was fairly corroded, managed to get the motor to work a little bit. So now mirror folds in 3/10, but still have manually push it.

Will look for another mirror.

So it's really you!!!

I knew at some point I would meet another driver who actually used mirrors.:wink3:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

So it's really you!!!

I knew at some point I would meet another driver who actually used mirrors.:wink3:

Haha.But can't make sense of rear view camera.lol

I get used to the door mirror position, then it goes into “ dip “ mode when reversing and throws MY perspective OUT …… I’m easily confused by the way …….. 😰

Malc 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I get used to the door mirror position, then it goes into “ dip “ mode when reversing and throws MY perspective OUT …… I’m easily confused by the way …….. 😰

Malc 

Both of my mirrors face down when reversing, not sure if this me or they supposed to that. Still struggle parking the big barge

19 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Both of my mirrors face down when reversing, not sure if this me or they supposed to that. Still struggle parking the big barge

I have a theory. Might not make sense to anyone else though!

As the wing mirror was pushed back away from its  normal mode. I think the plastic housing where the motor sits has been dislodged to a nearer position, meaning when the autimatc fold is selected the mirror only move 2/5 from its original position.

May look at pushing back the mirror and pressing the buttons at the same time and see if I  can move it back.

Not given up yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Sounds worth a try. I could see the logic.

Thank you Boomer54,

My mind is not all that twisted after all!!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links