Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the NX feel fast?

I know most owners are more concerned about eco driving and range on Battery power, but....

The NX has 300hp apparently, so it should feel "fast". Even in Sport + mode (briefly for an overtake) it doesn't feel particularly fast.

In the past, in an Audi with slightly less power, when wanting to overtake quickly I would go into sport mode, overtake and then back in eco mode.

This is my first hybrid car. What is the best way of telling the hybrid system that you want to go fast??

26 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

This is my first hybrid car. What is the best way of telling the hybrid system that you want to go fast??

Make sure you are in Auto EV/HV mode and not EV mode and basically put your foot down. You can change drive mode into Sport mode to make partial throttle more responsive but at full throttle all modes are essentially equal. 

By the way the transmission works, it provides a progressive surge in power rather than a delay and sudden hit that you get with a transmission dropping down gears and people often associate the sound of an engine steadily increasing in rpm with acceleration and therefore a hybrid might 'feel' slower than it actually is.

Edited by ColinBarber
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Make sure you are in Auto EV/HV mode and not EV mode and basically put your foot down. You can change drive mode into Sport mode to make partial throttle more responsive but at full throttle all modes are essentially equal. 

By the way the transmission works, it provides a progressive surge in power rather than a delay and sudden hit that you get with a transmission dropping down gears and people often associate the sound of an engine steadily increasing in rpm with acceleration and therefore a hybrid might 'feel' slower than it actually is.

It did appear that Sport mode didn't make a lot of difference so that would make sense.

You could be right with " a hybrid might 'feel' slower than it actually is". The NX is certainly not a slow car. Thanks 😀

• Like 1

I certainly don't class it as a slow car. I probably drive more sedately these days but when rapid acceleration is called for (overtaking etc) there is more than enough horses under the bonnet to complete the manoeuvre safely.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scotlex said:

I know most owners are more concerned about eco driving and range on battery power, but....

The NX has 300hp apparently, so it should feel "fast". Even in Sport + mode (briefly for an overtake) it doesn't feel particularly fast.

In the past, in an Audi with slightly less power, when wanting to overtake quickly I would go into sport mode, overtake and then back in eco mode.

Yes, it is my first Lexus and first Hybrid and I felt the same. I only occasionally want to go fast for a safe overtake and quickly found that EV was not the best. I usually select HV to ensure the engine is running, or will start quickly, and I have Sport acceleration, sport suspension and low AC programmed into the custom button (F Sport) so I can select custom with a press on the button and select HV. I have not yet experimented with dropping a 'gear' on the paddles. 

I think Colin may be right in that it feels slower and takes a little time to wind up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RKane said:

Yes, it is my first Lexus and first Hybrid and I felt the same. I only occasionally want to go fast for a safe overtake and quickly found that EV was not the best. I usually select HV to ensure the engine is running, or will start quickly, and I have Sport acceleration, sport suspension and low AC programmed into the custom button (F Sport) so I can select custom with a press on the button and select HV. I have not yet experimented with dropping a 'gear' on the paddles. 

My few overtakes have been fine and possibly it just "feels slow".

I will have to experiment with the custom settings.

There are so many settings 🙄. There must be one for "feels very fast" 😅😅.

• Like 1

My subjective opinion is it feels a lot "quicker" than the various hybrids I've previously had and even a gentle tap on the accelerator is quite responsive. And this is in "eco" mode. Quite happy with the driving experience on this one, probably the best of the hybrids I've had to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Doctor said:

My subjective opinion is it feels a lot "quicker" than the various hybrids I've previously had and even a gentle tap on the accelerator is quite responsive. And this is in "eco" mode. Quite happy with the driving experience on this one, probably the best of the hybrids I've had to date.

This is quite reassuring 😀

• Like 1

I have a 450h+ and previously drove an Audi diesel…

As long as not forced into Ev mode, and you have some Battery charge, I find it plenty fast. Especially a 0-30 start from traffic lights if there’s an idiot planning to undertake and pull out before the bus lane ahead… 

• Like 2

What I love most about this car is that it doesn’t encourage you to drive like an idiot, instead rewarding a lighter right foot with a serene and comfortable experience. My previous car had twice the power of this one and I have to confess that the re-arrangement of internal organs during a burst of ‘spirited’ driving became very wearing and stressful. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tickedon said:

I have a 450h+ and previously drove an Audi diesel…

As long as not forced into Ev mode, and you have some battery charge, I find it plenty fast. Especially a 0-30 start from traffic lights if there’s an idiot planning to undertake and pull out before the bus lane ahead… 

I haven't really tried a quick 0 to 60 yet but electric cars are generally very rapid as no gear changes are required.

Something else to try 😀

• Like 1

Before the 450 I owned an Audi Q5 which was plenty fast.

I have been experimenting with the Lexus and find that eco mode makes for a nice sedate limousine like drive, normal mode sharpens everything up including responsiveness and acceleration, and sport mode boosts responsiveness and acceleration more again, with the addition of some regen breaking.

When in auto EV hybrid mode, if I floor the car in Sport mode, the engine kicks in assisted by the electric motor, the nose comes up, the wheels spin, and the car accelerates quickly, which does feel fast and is much faster than the Q5. The car is fine during motorway driving and I find the car can more than held its own during a trip to London and back last week (using adaptive cruise control is wonderful).

Electric power alone is instant and fast and would not break records, but what more would you need unless your goal was to lose your licence or to get yourself into a spot of bother?

• Like 3

I suppose my other reflection is that with my Audi, before a “fast” overtake or if going up a hill, I’d change the gearbox to sport to get the engine power I needed. 

I don’t worry about any of that with my NX - it stays in normal, and I simply put my foot down should I need to accelerate. It gets and goes plenty fast in response. 

• Like 3

I wonder if the lack of "engine roar" makes the NX appear "not as fast".

To be honest, I am not a fan of noisy cars. They do sound impressive for about 10 seconds but after that I would find them annoying.

Much better with the refined NX 😀😀

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 1:55 PM, Scotlex said:

It did appear that Sport mode didn't make a lot of difference so that would make sense.

You could be right with " a hybrid might 'feel' slower than it actually is". The NX is certainly not a slow car. Thanks 😀

Personally.. I Think sport is Really Fast Alistair I see a big difference In this Mode.. Car is Much Faster and More Responsive..!! use this a lot when Overtaking......!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:23 PM, Ken R said:

I certainly don't class it as a slow car. I probably drive more sedately these days but when rapid acceleration is called for (overtaking etc) there is more than enough horses under the bonnet to complete the manoeuvre safely.

I Think It Would be up there In The Front In The Grand National Ken..I would put Money on It...LOL

• Haha 2

The 0-60 spec time is 6 seconds which is certainly not slow by any means but IMHO the really good bit is the 0-30 performance which is excellent.  However the 40 to 70 overtaking acceleration is just OK

• Like 2

Don’t forget that if NX450 you will NOT have access to the full 300bhp+ unit the engine is warm , it is restricted until it comes up to temp…..even in sports mode it is restricted…it is a feature first seen in the Yarris GR to protect the engine . It is VERY annoying on short , cold journeys as you don’t have FULL power for maybe 5-10mins of HV driving….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bish1402 said:

Don’t forget that if NX450 you will NOT have access to the full 300bhp+ unit the engine is warm , it is restricted until it comes up to temp…..even in sports mode it is restricted…it is a feature first seen in the Yarris GR to protect the engine . It is VERY annoying on short , cold journeys as you don’t have FULL power for maybe 5-10mins of HV driving….

Good point. I wasn't aware of that but it does make sense.

I don't suppose it tells you anywhere. It could make overtaking quite interesting as you don't know how much power you have 🙄🙈

Many years ago I was told by my driving instructor ( quite correctly ) that one should overtake as quickly and safely as possible.

A car with decent performance is therefore safer. Yes?

A big issue, more common in mainland Europe, is the tendency for other drivers to hang about alongside while in cruise control with no appreciation of keeping a safe space between you and other cars.  I just accelerate away from them and leave them in the outside lane - or am I just being contrary and naughty doing that?😐

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bish1402 said:

I didn't realise that either.  Suppose you have driven entirely in EV mode, say for half an hour, will the engine still require warming up before you need the power for an overtake. Or does the Battery keep it warm, perhaps with an oil heater, even though the engine is not running? 

It is a difference between my previous IC cars where the power output is the same and the hybrid where there is a noticeable difference between EV and HV.

3 minutes ago, RKane said:

I didn't realise that either.  Suppose you have driven entirely in EV mode, say for half an hour, will the engine still require warming up before you need the power for an overtake. Or does the battery keep it warm, perhaps with an oil heater, even though the engine is not running? 

It is a difference between my previous IC cars where the power output is the same and the hybrid where there is a noticeable difference between EV and HV.

Yes even after 40 miles in EV the engine will still need warming before full power …. It is very annoying IMO

This was my original point. I was overtaking but the NX (although fast enough) just didn't feel "300hp fast".

Just now, Scotlex said:

This was my original point. I was overtaking but the NX (although fast enough) just didn't feel "300hp fast".

It is annoying for as fk as 10mins after leaving home I can’t beat a fiesta st off the lights !!! Although I know I should have 300bhp!!!!

1 minute ago, Bish1402 said:

It is annoying for as fk as 10mins after leaving home I can’t beat a fiesta st off the lights !!! Although I know I should have 300bhp!!!!

I was probably about 10 mins from home too. But at least now I know 😀

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links