Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus theft response

OOI, does anybody favour the more basic form of deterrent i.e. steering wheel lock? I'm not keen on more sophisticated stuff unless it is mandated by my insurer. Maybe in time that will come to pass. Currently, not a condition of cover at NFU.

In the meantime, more rudimentary solutions are what I'm after e.g. hiding an apple Air Tag somewhere out of the way.

Anyway, what does the body of the kirk feel about my skinflint notions?

P☘️

8 hours ago, PeteTP said:

OOI, does anybody favour the more basic form of deterrent i.e. steering wheel lock? I'm not keen on more sophisticated stuff unless it is mandated by my insurer. Maybe in time that will come to pass. Currently, not a condition of cover at NFU.

In the meantime, more rudimentary solutions are what I'm after e.g. hiding an Apple Air Tag somewhere out of the way.

Anyway, what does the body of the kirk feel about my skinflint notions?

P☘️

Very relaxed attitude springs to mind, hopefully it won't come back and bite you on the bum. Steering wheel locks are basically a visual deterrent and can be removed in a couple of minutes but I use one. Tracking devices at best will only find your car after it's been stolen and damaged. I would love to have a ghost fitted to mine but unfortunately it's not possible, until then I feel very vulnerable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 5:21 PM, beyond the blue said:

A few months ago I contacted Lexus customer services to enquire if they had any plans to address the can-bus vulnerability of the ES. The reply was they had nothing in the pipeline at that moment. Last week I asked again to see if there was any update on their stance, before I shell out hundreds of pounds on secondary protection. This is their response I received today.

Lexus Customer Relations ref: CASE ******

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your email regarding your Lexus ES Premium Edition.

I am sorry to advise that we do not centrally have any device or solutions that we can offer from Lexus to protect and prevent this type of can bus attack on the ES model.

From what we can see, The Lexus ES has been extremely low volume in attack thankfully and is not a highly targeted model. 

Whilst we do not directly manufacture second stage immobilisers, these are being requested by some insurance parties to enable policies and/or reduce premiums. 

It is widely reported to us by owners and in the press that these second stage immobilisers can be effective in preventing a vehicle from being started, even if a key was physically stolen and present.

We know that it would not prevent access into a vehicle however. Sadly, if a thief wishes to gain access to any vehicle, it is very difficult to prevent this.

Regrettably I do not have additional options or products from Lexus that I can provide. I can only apologise that I cannot offer a more positive response at this time and appreciate your contact and enquiry seeking to protect your vehicle and asset.

If I may assist you with anything else please do feel very welcome to let me know.

Kind regards

Toyota (GB) PLC - Lexus Division

After hearing about the BBC Watchdog program on the CANBUS thefts and the subsequent reply from Lexus regarding it, I emailed Lexus Canterbury the details and here is their reply which looks more promising.

Thank you for your email enquiry.

We are currently awaiting Lexus to release the technical information to us by the end of April 2024 for all models affected. As it stands currently, we are only able to carry this out on Lexus RX’s until we have the technical information next month.

If I can assist with anything in the meantime, please just let me know.

I hope we're not going to see an increase in the rate of thefts prior to the end of April, while the thieves try to get as many as they can before they become harder to steal.

12 hours ago, Dippo said:

I hope we're not going to see an increase in the rate of thefts prior to the end of April, while the thieves try to get as many as they can before they become harder to steal.

My thoughts exactly. I have to say I was in contact with my dealer (Gatwick) and they are just waiting on parts to get the ball rolling. I suspect it could be some months before all cars are equipped with whatever they need. I would not be at all surprised to see Lexus phase it in with servicing if that is viable to all concerned. Once a goodly number of cars have been "fixed" then hopefully the lowlifes will move on or better still get rounded up and incarcerated.

You would have thought Lexus would have donated a "capture car" to apprehend the thieving scumbags by now with the damage its doing to its reputation.

1 hour ago, Sherra said:

You would have thought Lexus would have donated a "capture car" to apprehend the thieving scumbags by now with the damage its doing to its reputation.

It’s not just one group. The technology is hidden inside a Bluetooth speaker, costing £2-4k. Great ROI so both devices and vulnerable cars are in high demand….

I have just booked my MY22 ES in for the Can-bus protection plate to be fit next week. The dealership described the plate as having warning stripes on it. I have seen a picture of the RX plate but this sounds different , does anyone have a picture of the ES one? It is being fit free of charge with a curtesy car provided.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I have just booked my MY22 ES in for the Can-bus protection plate to be fit next week. The dealership described the plate as having warning stripes on it. I have seen a picture of the RX plate but this sounds different , does anyone have a picture of the ES one? It is being fit free of charge with a curtesy car provided.

So it's just a protection plate? No mention of software or security hardware?

9 minutes ago, peniole said:

The security update isn't available for approx. 6 weeks, if not longer.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

The security update isn't available for approx. 6 weeks, if not longer.

Thanks. That's what I was told as well. But then I'm seeing people on here booking theirs in already. So I'm guessing a two pronged solution, plate and something as yet undisclosed.

14 hours ago, peniole said:

No mention of anything other than a 'protection plate', to be honest l didn't even know a plate was available for the ES, it was only after continually asking the dealer when are Lexus going to address the theft issues that they told me the protection plate was available. Despite giving them all the details of the vehicle and recieving a confirmation email of the booking it wouldn't surprise me if things don't go according to plan.

8 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Despite giving them all the details of the vehicle and recieving a confirmation email of the booking it wouldn't surprise me if things don't go according to plan.

There is a new plate for the RX. I wonder if it fits the ES too, or will they be expecting you to turn up in an RX.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There is a new plate for the RX. I wonder if it fits the ES too, or will they be expecting you to turn up in an RX.

Colin,  I am not sure about this.  I think the official word on this from Lexus is somewhat ambiguous - it talks about 1 iteration, which I assume to mean only 1 version of the plate has been created.  It's in the comments section.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/comment-page-4/#comments

Paul

5 hours ago, PDM said:

Colin,  I am not sure about this.  I think the official word on this from Lexus is somewhat ambiguous - it talks about 1 iteration, which I assume to mean only 1 version of the plate has been created.  It's in the comments section.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/comment-page-4/#comments

Paul

Rob has had new plates fitted to his RX:

28 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Rob has had new plates fitted to his RX:

very interesting....

On 3/19/2024 at 9:22 AM, ColinBarber said:

At the risk of being a nuisance to the dealer I emailed asking for confirmation, this is their reply. So it goes in next week.

Hello,

We are aware that the vehicle is a ES.

We have been advised that your vehicle could be at risk so we would  like to check this for you once the vehicle is in with us.

Thanks

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

At the risk of being a nuisance to the dealer I emailed asking for confirmation, this is their reply. So it goes in next week.

Hello,

We are aware that the vehicle is a ES.

We have been advised that your vehicle could be at risk so we would  like to check this for you once the vehicle is in with us.

Thanks

Thanks, keep us posted please.

Well, despite emails from the dealer that they were aware that my vehicle is an ES I received this cancellation email this morning regarding fitting of the security plate.

Dear Mr ******,

I can confirm the below booking has been cancelled due to the fact Lexus have advised us there is no current solution for the model of Lexus you have,

The details of your booking are as follows:
Reg number: *J8NWR
Job Reference: 47441
Date due in: 27/03/2024

Lexus have advised us there will be a further update by the end of April 2024.

Kind regards
RRG Group

Absolutely pathetic, Lexus are becoming a joke. 

29 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Well, despite emails from the dealer that they were aware that my vehicle is an ES I received this cancellation email this morning regarding fitting of the security plate.

I was just going to give you a reaction but I think funny, confused and sad are all applicable. Still at least it was cancelled a day before your appointment rather than having a wasted journey.

image.png.b2f1808c82a51a75f3f6d16158051092.png

3 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Dear Mr ******,

I can confirm the below booking has been cancelled due to the fact Lexus have advised us there is no current solution for the model of Lexus you have,

The details of your booking are as follows:
Reg number: *J8NWR
Job Reference: 47441
Date due in: 27/03/2024

Lexus have advised us there will be a further update by the end of April 2024.

Kind regards
RRG Group

Absolutely pathetic, Lexus are becoming a joke. 

Well the article posted by Colin states your vehicles qualifies, are you planning to show them (the dealer) the document from the Lexus UK magazine?

13 minutes ago, Navnan2 said:

Well the article posted by Colin states your vehicles qualifies, are you planning to show them (the dealer) the document from the Lexus UK magazine?

The list is of affected vehicles. The article is clear Lexus will be communicating with dealers about their solution at the end of April. It should have been obvious there was no solution to book in for at the present time - obvious to both Neil and his dealership…

17 hours ago, Tickedon said:

The list is of affected vehicles. The article is clear Lexus will be communicating with dealers about their solution at the end of April. It should have been obvious there was no solution to book in for at the present time - obvious to both Neil and his dealership…

Pardon me for responding

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Navnan2 said:

Pardon me for responding

Yes l feel stupid now as well. I can see the error of my ways for believing the dealer when they told me they had a plate for the ES.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links