Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Goodbye

A goodbye and thank you for the information and help from this forum. I received my ES back from the insurers after being stolen, recovered and repaired and have p/x against a Volvo. I expected to keep the ES for the long term but have no confidence it won’t be targeted again and along with the complete apathy shown by Lexus it made the decision quite easy. Good luck all in the future.

Good luck with the Volvo, no harm in switching brands as circumstances change.  Lexus are not the first manufacturer to trash their hard earned reputation and probably won't be the last.

Never had a Volvo personally but certainly the brand stood for quality back in the 80's / 90's, been in a few Volvo taxis that have had 300/400 thousand on the clock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Good luck with the Volvo, no harm in switching brands as circumstances change.  Lexus are not the first manufacturer to trash their hard earned reputation and probably won't be the last.

Never had a Volvo personally but certainly the brand stood for quality back in the 80's / 90's, been in a few Volvo taxis that have had 300/400 thousand on the clock.

I guess the question is whether Volvo remains the same under Chi ese ownership. I have to say I have no idea about that.

39 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I guess the question is whether Volvo remains the same under Chi ese ownership. I have to say I have no idea about that.

My 2020 S60 T5 was a great car. I loved it and would place it well above the Lexus IS200t in most aspects especially the drivability and performance and comfort - ( both being 2.0L turbos ) -. You will love the Volvo!  Before you ask why I got rid of it, I swapped it for the IsF - no cash changed hands! and that was a great deal for me. I can give reasons if you really want to know. The Is200t is a different story, that was just a daily driver to protect the IsF from going out in bad weather😊.

The Chinese owners Geely are not the builders. The S60 was built in the USA and designed and spec'ed by the Swedes.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GMB said:

My 2020 S60 T5 was a great car. I loved it and would place it well above the Lexus IS200t in most aspects especially the drivability and performance and comfort - ( both being 2.0L turbos ) -. You will love the Volvo!  Before you ask why I got rid of it, I swapped it for the IsF - no cash changed hands! and that was a great deal for me. I can give reasons if you really want to know. The Is200t is a different story, that was just a daily driver to protect the IsF from going out in bad weather😊.

The Chinese owners Geely are not the builders. The S60 was built in the USA and designed and spec'ed by the Swedes.

I have bought a S60 B5, the mild hybrid, only had it a day but it does seem lovely to drive, yes built in the USA……hopefully it will prove to be a good buy, I had old high mileage Volvos many years ago when money was tight and they never let me down. I didn’t want to return to the Germans, I really fancied a Jag but as I am a bit paranoid about car theft it wasn’t really an option!!!

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

The highest mileage car ever was a volvo!

I must admit the new volvo's are stunning. I drove a friends 21 plate XC90 for about 280 miles and it was the nicest car i've driven.

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Oddly enough just listened to ad for Volvo on Classic FM. Very attractive female Scandinavian voice, wonder why it wasn't Mandarin? 😎

Voice might have simply been AI produced ……… 🤔

Malc 

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Voice might have simply been AI produced ……… 🤔

Malc 

I don't think AI could replicate Birgitta ! My ,but Gothenberg was memorable even if I have no idea what it looked like.:wink3:

• Haha 1

All the best to you @Derant and I hope the Volvo serves you well.

Talking about Volvos, my brother had a very nice 04 plate S60 with the five cylinder diesel in it for a few years. It was a nice plum colour with beige leather. He very much rated it. Sadly, he wrote it off on an icy Suffolk country lane some time ago one evening after he'd just finished work. The car would have been about six years old at the time and I remember it was already knocking on the door of 150k. Cutting a long story short, it ended up in a ditch upside down. A very slow roll-over, no one else involved and fortunately he was completely unharmed. He replaced with with another Swede - this time a 56 plate Saab 9-3 saloon which he had for a number of years (there wasn't a decent Volvo of similar spec for sale anywhere near him at the time). I wouldn't knock those underpinnings either - as that also proved to be a thoroughly comfortable and reliable car for him.

I remember an Uncle of mine also had a few Volvos in his time. A 'T' plate C70 coupe which he bought nearly new and then a lovely S60 similar to what my brother had - but his was silver with black leather. If memory serves me, that was a brand new purchase. Both were solid cars from what he told me. He currently drives one of the last of the last model Lexus NX's, ironically!

Many moons ago, a now sadly deceased cousin of my mother. It was a metallic blue 'E' plate 740. He already had that car when I was a child and started taking an interest in cars (so it would have only been about two years old at the time) and only sold it on in around 2012/13. It was still pretty much immaculate too. Naturally he regretted selling it. He only passed away a few months ago but was still talking about that Volvo the last time I saw him, at a wake (ironically) about six months prior to his own passing.

I'd happily consider a Volvo and future and indeed had an XC60 in mind as the second-choice option to the NX350h. I suspect I'll own a Volvo at some point. Given my poor sales experience in buying the NX (and the ongoing wait for a second key and locking wheel nuts), I strongly suspect I'll be moving away from Lexus whenever it comes to my next purchase. 

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

I strongly suspect I'll be moving away from Lexus whenever it comes to my next purchase. 

I had no intention of moving away from Lexus but their response to the ES theft sealed it for me. I think Lexus are being very short sighted in there response, I was in a service plan for a few more years and would probably have stayed with the brand, not now, I’ve gone for good and won’t be giving them all of that money. In todays connected world issues like the theft and response get amplified 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links