Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX350h 'The Sound Of Silence' (fault)

Hi folks!

A bit of an odd one this...and fortunately it appears to have resolved itself but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has come across this with their NX350h or NX450h. 

Yesterday morning I got into the car, started as normal, backed off the driveway to the usual audible sounds of the parking sensors and pulled away. So far, so good... I went to put on my heated seat only to find the screen had somehow 'muted' itself. It wasn't doing it's usual 'bongs' when you press on the screen. The functions were all working perfectly fine - but it was completely silent regardless of what I pressed. 

Thinking this was a little odd, I turned on the radio. Low and behold - that was silent too. The radio was on but again, no matter how high I put the volume either by using the knob or on the steering wheel - it remained completely silent. Turning it off and on again resulted in the same issue. It shown the radio was on - but no volume at all. 

I get to the last few miles of the journey where I'm usually warned of a speed camera (the two beeps close together) and at the moment, the ladies voice telling me "warning - one mile ahead, roadworks". As you have probably predicted by now - nothing. The car was silent. 

So, I pull into work and as it should, the parking sensors worked fine. It was the only audible thing in the car that was working. 😕 I look around but can't see any sign of a 'mute' button or similar that I may have accidentally pressed when getting into the car, but with time pushing on, I had no further time to investigate until finishing work.

At the end of the working day, I got back into the car thinking it's either got it's first pronounced fault, or there's a 'fault' with it's user (i.e - me!) which so far isn't resolved. So, I leave work, put on my heated seat and guess what - the 'bonging' when you press the screen is working again! I turn the radio on - out comes music from the speakers as it should... It even warns me of that speed camera with two quick bleeps - as it should...

Ummm... 🤔

This morning? All fine again!

So, did I inadvertently do something which basically silenced everything inside the car barring the parking sensors (which if I did and I'm an idiot - please say so!), or did the car very much 'glitch out' yesterday morning?! I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this or similar... 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Gary H said:

Hi folks!

A bit of an odd one this...and fortunately it appears to have resolved itself but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has come across this with their NX350h or NX450h. 

Yesterday morning I got into the car, started as normal, backed off the driveway to the usual audible sounds of the parking sensors and pulled away. So far, so good... I went to put on my heated seat only to find the screen had somehow 'muted' itself. It wasn't doing it's usual 'bongs' when you press on the screen. The functions were all working perfectly fine - but it was completely silent regardless of what I pressed. 

Thinking this was a little odd, I turned on the radio. Low and behold - that was silent too. The radio was on but again, no matter how high I put the volume either by using the knob or on the steering wheel - it remained completely silent. Turning it off and on again resulted in the same issue. It shown the radio was on - but no volume at all. 

I get to the last few miles of the journey where I'm usually warned of a speed camera (the two beeps close together) and at the moment, the ladies voice telling me "warning - one mile ahead, roadworks". As you have probably predicted by now - nothing. The car was silent. 

So, I pull into work and as it should, the parking sensors worked fine. It was the only audible thing in the car that was working. 😕 I look around but can't see any sign of a 'mute' button or similar that I may have accidentally pressed when getting into the car, but with time pushing on, I had no further time to investigate until finishing work.

At the end of the working day, I got back into the car thinking it's either got it's first pronounced fault, or there's a 'fault' with it's user (i.e - me!) which so far isn't resolved. So, I leave work, put on my heated seat and guess what - the 'bonging' when you press the screen is working again! I turn the radio on - out comes music from the speakers as it should... It even warns me of that speed camera with two quick bleeps - as it should...

Ummm... 🤔

This morning? All fine again!

So, did I inadvertently do something which basically silenced everything inside the car barring the parking sensors (which if I did and I'm an idiot - please say so!), or did the car very much 'glitch out' yesterday morning?! I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this or similar... 

I would suspect some software bug that can occasionally show at start up (On MM19 systems the map occasionally fails to load).  If it happens again, try holding the on off button on the radio down for a few seconds to reboot the infotainment and see if that fixes it. (I assume that reboot procedure still works on MM21).

Paul

22 hours ago, PDM said:

I would suspect some software bug that can occasionally show at start up (On MM19 systems the map occasionally fails to load).  If it happens again, try holding the on off button on the radio down for a few seconds to reboot the infotainment and see if that fixes it. (I assume that reboot procedure still works on MM21).

Paul

OK call me dumb. What on / off button?

48 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

OK call me dumb. What on / off button?

hmmm... I'm not so familiar with MM21 but I assume if you press the volume button then it turns the audio on and off?

Although it looks from Michael's other thread that this will not fix it....

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, folks. Much appreciated. So - it appears it was a glitch with the car rather than myself!

@PDM Thanks for the tip. If it crops up again I'll bear that one, of holding the button in for a few seconds, in mind... I wasn't aware that was 'a thing'.

@Scotlex Fingers crossed it was indeed a one off. It's not cropped up again so far. All good. 🤞

@imgo I do vaguely remember reading your thread at the time but I must admit, I'd forgotten about that in the meantime! Thanks for reminding me... It would be interesting if it was related to what I had - although my sound didn't stop half way through a drive. It just didn't work from start up! Then the next time at the end of the day, all was fine again. Very odd! 

Hi Gary. Although it's been quite a while since I last had a Lexus Hybrid but even so I've read on quite a few forums that faults like yours are down to the Start button itself. Yes your car is new but 'dodgy' switches/buttons are getting to be a common occurrence. 

5 hours ago, PDM said:

hmmm... I'm not so familiar with MM21 but I assume if you press the volume button then it turns the audio on and off?

Although it looks from Michael's other thread that this will not fix it....

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sorry, I meant the on / off button on a MM19?
Can't say I've seen one

1 hour ago, Al D-Much said:

Hi Paul,
Sorry, I meant the on / off button on a MM19?
Can't say I've seen one

Hi Al,

So on a gen 1 NX you have a tuning knob on the left and a volume knob in the right of the head unit.  If you press the one on the right it turns the toggles audio on and off.

Paul

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi Al,

So on a gen 1 NX you have a tuning knob on the left and a volume knob in the right of the head unit.  If you press the one on the right it turns the toggles audio on and off.

Paul

Thanks, didn't know that.
I know when using the radio you can press the play/pause button which mutes the radio.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links