Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving styles

I’m new to Lexus and hybrids. Not sure if I’m driving correctly. I’ve got a 300h F Sport 69 plate, I’m currently driving in normal mode for day to day driving around the city I live in. Should I be in eco or ev? Doubt I’ll ever use the sport mode. Any advice on how to drive these cars would be appreciated.

Hi Sean,

I can only comment from my own experience but what I find is that around town (London) I don't use the eco mode as I find the car is slow to pick up -  when you might need power at roundabouts or pulling out etc.

I use the eco mode when I know the traffic is moving at a decent pace and on  dual carriageways, motorways etc.

I never actually select the EV mode as the distance it can go for in electric is so short {literally yards!) so I just leave this for the car to decide.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new car
Neal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply. So you change the driving mode, that’s good to know, I’ve been leaving it in normal. Cheers 👍🏻

EV mode is useful if you just want to move the car around your drive or in / out of the garage without starting the engine.

I only ever use Eco mode if low on fuel, not sure it makes much difference anyway.

• Thanks 1

Experiment with them to see which ones suits your driving style.

Eco mode will dull the throttle response and reduce the AC performance to increase economy but some people find the throttle is too laid back and then end up getting frustrated and start over compensating and then using more fuel than in Normal mode. You might find it makes the vehicle more relaxing in start/stop traffic.

Sport mode will increase throttle response and gives extra mid throttle performance by providing more Battery assistance to the petrol engine. You will use more fuel because the petrol engine won't be turned off as much, and will start back up again sooner under less throttle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As said, I would just try all the modes and see what suits.

I am "new to hybrids" and doing the same 😀

• Thanks 1

The dealer advised me to drive in normal rather than eco mode. He said they found over the years that eco mode actually reduced fuel efficiency as it made the car underpowered and therefore more time was spend on the accelerator getting up to speed. 

I’ve had mine a few weeks, so have yet to experiment. I have left it in eco so far. Feels ok to me, I don’t have a heavy foot style though. I have a baseline efficiency now, so will switch to normal next and see how it compares.

I will probably only use Sport mode when towing.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jim1977 said:

The dealer advised me to drive in normal rather than eco mode. He said they found over the years that eco mode actually reduced fuel efficiency as it made the car underpowered and therefore more time was spend on the accelerator getting up to speed. 

I’ve had mine a few weeks, so have yet to experiment. I have left it in eco so far. Feels ok to me, I don’t have a heavy foot style though. I have a baseline efficiency now, so will switch to normal next and see how it compares.

I will probably only use Sport mode when towing.

Cheers for that. I didn’t realise how complicated it all is, not used to thinking like this when I’m driving. It’s a bit of a wake up call lol

21 minutes ago, Sean70 said:

Cheers for that. I didn’t realise how complicated it all is, not used to thinking like this when I’m driving. It’s a bit of a wake up call lol

Don’t worry too much, just enjoy your new motor. Over time you’ll find how best to drive it for maximum efficiency. I would recommend setting your screen to show the power flows. You can find this pressing the info button on the touch pad (in our NX but I suspect it will be same method in all models). This is the best way to see how your throttle input affects the power flows. You will learn how much throttle you can apply for various states of charge, to prevent the engine kicking in. Small adjustment with your right foot will adjust the power flows. For example if you are driving on the flat and the power flow shows the engine is running, a little inch movement of the foot off and back on the power will knock it into EV mode sometimes. I have found that the Lexus / Toyota hybrids really respond to driving style re mpg. Years ago I had a Prius and was getting 54-55 mpg for a long time, but once I got the right style I ended up getting 62-63 mpg.

The driving technique also transfers well to full EV driving, we have had various EV’s for 6 years and the preceding years of Toyota hybrid driving resulted in excellent miles per kWh efficiency with the EV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also worth watching that left hand power dial. The engine will generally cut in when you move out of the first blue Eco section. It will also cut in when you're going over 50mph. All helps to decide how best to drive! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm on my second NX hybrid and have never "fiddled" with the various driving modes - I just simply keep it in normal mode all the time and let the car do the thinking. I've averaged around 45 MPG over the years this way.

What might be more useful for you is to research the best driving style to get the maximum MPG such as "hypermiling"; coasting and regenerative braking. There are numerous posts on these topics to be found on this forum and the internet in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I'm on my second NX hybrid and have never "fiddled" with the various driving modes - I just simply keep it in normal mode all the time and let the car do the thinking. I've averaged around 45 MPG over the years this way.

What might be more useful for you is to research the best driving style to get the maximum MPG such as "hypermiling"; coasting and regenerative braking. There are numerous posts on these topics to be found on this forum and the internet in general.

I’ve found myself overthinking the driving, so like you I’m gonna just drive normally and enjoy my new car👍🏻

• Like 2

The one thing I don’t like about my car is the ‘power monitor’ screen. Yes it’s interesting to see how all the complicated gubins work but it is incredibly distracting and potentially dangerous as it takes your eyes off the road! Just drive and enjoy the relaxing experience a Lexus gives you. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links