Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

wiper blades

On my Ls400 I just turn the engine off when the wipers are at the right angle for changing …… applies to my Honda Legend too ! 

Your cars different then ?

Malc 

• Like 1

Dunno why he presses the Start button twice?. All you do is turn it on (one press), turn it off then move the wiper stalk up to single wipe for few seconds and they lift up.

page 190 in the manual

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bezzer said:

Dunno why he presses the Start button twice?. All you do is turn it on (one press), turn it off then move the wiper stalk up to single wipe for few seconds and they lift up.

page 190 in the manual

Coincidentally, I put a new set of Bosch on this morning.  The one good tip I would support is placing a substantial cloth pad on the windscreen just where the wiper arm would hit it if it dropped down.

Because some times it does!  🙁

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 1:46 PM, fourbanks said:

Hi friends 🙂 

Does anyone know how to park the wiper blades upright for renewal. They keep parking closed when the ignition is off 

thanks 

When you switch off hold the stalk up and they will move into the service mode,

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Many thanks friends for your help here  🙂

one further thing, what are some of the best quite blades to look for these days?

Get the proper Denso ones that Lexus use.  You can get them from Eurpcarparts.   

3 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Many thanks friends for your help here  🙂

one further thing, what are some of the best quite blades to look for these days?

I assume that you meant to type quiet.

Bosch are almost certainly the best.

They may also be the most expensive.

But if you buy cheap you buy twice!

• Like 2

Lexus don’t consider Bosch to be the best and I’ve never had any luck with them.  I paid a lot of money and they skipped and squealed and that great big fitting is ugly.  Just my experience.  

14 hours ago, Sundance said:

I assume that you meant to type quiet.

Bosch are almost certainly the best.

They may also be the most expensive.

But if you buy cheap you buy twice!

So starts The Wiper Wars!

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve just replaced Bosch Aerotwin with Bosch Aerotwin.  And I actually noticed how much smoother and quieter the replacements were.  Which really just demonstrates how wiper blades can deteriorate so gradually that  it’s only after replacement that you become aware of it.

On other cars I have used Michelin, Wipac and Lucas but wouldn’t say that any of them were dramatically inferior.  I do like the Bosch fitting system - which is remarkably easy once I remember how to do it!

But before I did get my new Bosch, I had a little check around and discovered that Autoexpress had conducted a little test - albeit in 2022 - which confirmed their recommendation for Bosch.  Unfortunately, they didn’t test Dentso.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/36172/best-wiper-blades-2022

PS.  Problems with skipping and squealing can often be due to contaminates on the screen.  This can be solved by using an effective screen cleaner directly on the glass - and ensuring that the blades themselves are clean.

8 hours ago, LenT said:

So starts The Wiper Wars!

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve just replaced Bosch Aerotwin with Bosch Aerotwin.  And I actually noticed how much smoother and quieter the replacements were.  Which really just demonstrates how wiper blades can deteriorate so gradually that  it’s only after replacement that you become aware of it.

On other cars I have used Michelin, Wipac and Lucas but wouldn’t say that any of them were dramatically inferior.  I do like the Bosch fitting system - which is remarkably easy once I remember how to do it!

But before I did get my new Bosch, I had a little check around and discovered that Autoexpress had conducted a little test - albeit in 2022 - which confirmed their recommendation for Bosch.  Unfortunately, they didn’t test Dentso.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/36172/best-wiper-blades-2022

PS.  Problems with skipping and squealing can often be due to contaminates on the screen.  This can be solved by using an effective screen cleaner directly on the glass - and ensuring that the blades themselves are clean.

If you’re advising me about clean glass, I appreciate it but I’m anal about such things.  The Denso blades don’t make any noise either on the glass or changing direction.  I imagine that’s why Lexus fit them in production.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted Bosch AeroTwins to the UX and very impressed. In my opinion they are much better than the standard Lexux offering plus there are some great deals online currently. I have used these previously on other car brands ive owned and they have always operated very effectively without the hint of a squeak.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:09 PM, Don C said:

Lexus don’t consider Bosch to be the best and I’ve never had any luck with them.  I paid a lot of money and they skipped and squealed and that great big fitting is ugly.  Just my experience.  

On my previous car I always used Bosch, and they were great. As such, I bought some for my RX and found the same as you, they were awful. I suspect it has something to do with the shape/curve of the windscreen and that the Bosch didn't fit so well. Went back to OEMs and they're quiet and smooth.

For some unknown reason my dealer fitted new wipers at my last service, for no charge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fourbanks said:

My local Halford's only had the Bosch Aero Twins in stock, so I had to go with those. £40.00 supplied and fitted 

I paid £18.17 for the front pair and £4.95 for the rear ..... but fitted myself

8 minutes ago, ScoFair said:

I paid £18.17 for the front pair and £4.95 for the rear ..... but fitted myself

The retail is around 30 pounds for both and 10 for fitting to include vat 

you have done well Scott 🙂 

19 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The retail is around 30 pounds for both and 10 for fitting to include vat 

you have done well Scott 🙂 

My Bosch Retrofit Aero Twins  were £23, inc VAT, from autobulbs direct - and I fitted them myself.

16 hours ago, LenT said:

My Bosch Retrofit Aero Twins  were £23, inc VAT, from autobulbs direct - and I fitted them myself.

Hopefully the park under the bonnet like they do on a UX because they’ve got that big daft adapter stuck up in the middle.  

1 hour ago, Don C said:

Hopefully the park under the bonnet like they do on a UX because they’ve got that big daft adapter stuck up in the middle.  

No, Don.

They sit just above the bonnet line, proudly flaunting what Bosch describes as its ‘new AeroClip adaptor’. 😊

What you cruelly dismiss as ‘daft’ turns out to be an ‘aerodynamically optimised connection between wiper blade and wiper arm’!  And never was a lump of plastic more aptly named.

I can certainly testify that I can recall no combination of wind, rain and speed that has resulted in even the merest flutter of these blades as they silently go about their business.

This is how Bosch themselves describe this masterpiece of engineering design:

Karlsruhe, Germany – The Aerotwin with new AeroClip adapter – an aerodynamically optimized connection between wiper blade and wiper arm – increases the contact pressure against the windshield, preventing the wiper from being lifted by the airstream. The result is improved wiping results, even at higher speeds. The Aerotwin with AeroClip adapter also features the Power Protection Plus (PPP) wiper rubber with its patented coating and long-life formula. Since a special additive makes the rubber of the wiper blade more resistant to wear and environmental influences, it lasts even longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

No, Don.

They sit just above the bonnet line, proudly flaunting what Bosch describes as its ‘new AeroClip adaptor’. 😊

What you cruelly dismiss as ‘daft’ turns out to be an ‘aerodynamically optimised connection between wiper blade and wiper arm’!  And never was a lump of plastic more aptly named.

I can certainly testify that I can recall no combination of wind, rain and speed that has resulted in even the merest flutter of these blades as they silently go about their business.

This is how Bosch themselves describe this masterpiece of engineering design:

Karlsruhe, Germany – The Aerotwin with new AeroClip adapter – an aerodynamically optimized connection between wiper blade and wiper arm – increases the contact pressure against the windshield, preventing the wiper from being lifted by the airstream. The result is improved wiping results, even at higher speeds. The Aerotwin with AeroClip adapter also features the Power Protection Plus (PPP) wiper rubber with its patented coating and long-life formula. Since a special additive makes the rubber of the wiper blade more resistant to wear and environmental influences, it lasts even longer.

I accept they might be good but things like that shout at me!  I did put my ocd to one side and tried a set but I couldn’t get them to stop skipping and clunking on the direction change.  It’s not a “tried it at school and didn’t like it” situation, I tried it at some expense and they ended up in the bin.  I get the proper Denso ones from carparts4less and the next set is in my garage waiting.  I’m very fussy so as soon as they streak or foam, they’re out.  

I

3 hours ago, Don C said:

and the next set is in my garage waiting.  I’m very fussy so as soon as they streak or foam, they’re out.  

You’re clearly much better organised than I am, Don.

When it comes to items such as wipers, I’m much more reactive than preemptive !  😊

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links