Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS 250 SE-L MM 2009 value

I’m looking to get a rough value for my dad’s 2009 Lexus IS 250 SE-L MM.

Unfortunately my dad recently passed away and so I’m going to have to sell his car.

Im just looking for honest, expert opinion  of a sale price and thought this would be the best place.

The car is in excellent condition and has done 81000 miles. 

Thanks 

Thank you.

Im pretty sure it’s got full service history.

Another question whilst I’m asking, the wheels make an awful thudding sound when on full lock. I remember my dad saying that this was a common complaint of the car. Is this true? If so is there anything that can be done to rectify it?

Yeah, that sounds like the front tyres skipping/scrubbing when they're cold. Nothing to worry about.

Certain tyre brands are worse than others. Typically the more performance-orientated ones with large square tread blocks on the outside, seem to be more prone to this issue.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. 

if it’s got a full service history (stamp every year or 10k miles), 2 keys, is in very good condition with no damage it’s going to be REALISTICALLY £5000-£5750 car depending on colour combination. Funnily enough I’m about to advertise my friend’s 2009 facelift SE-L in white pearl. 80k, FSH, 2 keys, few stone chips but overall very good condition. I will be advertising for £5200. Realistically will take £4900 but we don’t want to be sitting on it for a long time. It’s priced to sell. Yes, you’ll find some cars of similar age & spec on auto trader for £5700ish but those cars are gonna stay there for a while. As much as I’d like their value to stay up, it’s not realistic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Yeah, that sounds like the front tyres skipping/scrubbing when they're cold. Nothing to worry about.

Certain tyre brands are worse than others. Typically the more performance-orientated ones with large square tread blocks on the outside, seem to be more prone to this issue.

Thank you, that’s put my mind at rest.

10 hours ago, H3XME said:

Sorry to hear that. 

if it’s got a full service history (stamp every year or 10k miles), 2 keys, is in very good condition with no damage it’s going to be REALISTICALLY £5000-£5750 car depending on colour combination. Funnily enough I’m about to advertise my friend’s 2009 facelift SE-L in white pearl. 80k, FSH, 2 keys, few stone chips but overall very good condition. I will be advertising for £5200. Realistically will take £4900 but we don’t want to be sitting on it for a long time. It’s priced to sell. Yes, you’ll find some cars of similar age & spec on auto trader for £5700ish but those cars are gonna stay there for a while. As much as I’d like their value to stay up, it’s not realistic. 

Thank you.

my dad’s is silver with full cream leather and all the toys.

I remember him telling me that it was a special one but he never actually said why.

Does the MM stand for multimedia?

47 minutes ago, Zorny182 said:

Thank you.

my dad’s is silver with full cream leather and all the toys.

I remember him telling me that it was a special one but he never actually said why.

Does the MM stand for multimedia?

Yeah, SE-L is the top spec. It would have everything 🙂
Yeah, some people say that.. basically referring to the touch screen and the Mark & Levinson audio system. Do you have any photos? 

A sunroof would make it special, otherwise it sounds like your regular SE-L. 

2 hours ago, H3XME said:

A sunroof would make it special, otherwise it sounds like your regular SE-L. 

Or DCC...

MM can be sat-nav, no ML. Although it is small loss considering standard audio is very decent in mk2 anyway. 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Or DCC...

MM can be sat-nav, no ML. Although it is small loss considering standard audio is very decent in mk2 anyway. 

Wasn't every UK model with sat-nav also M&L though? (2005-2013) I know that not all 3rd Gen and JDM (2nd Gen) cars had M&L even if they had a touch screen, but I've never seen one in the UK without M&L. I think 98% of the time it's safe to assume all touch-screen/sat-nav cars in the UK also have M&L. 

19 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Wasn't every UK model with sat-nav also M&L though? (2005-2013) I know that not all 3rd Gen and JDM (2nd Gen) cars had M&L even if they had a touch screen, but I've never seen one in the UK without M&L. I think 98% of the time it's safe to assume all touch-screen/sat-nav cars in the UK also have M&L. 

No... ML was optional extra for all trims, same as sunroof or DCC. Yes often the cars with sat-nav have ML, but not always.

Also I thought all RC-Fs pre-face lift had ML (despite theoretically it being optional), because it is hard to find one without it, but I have now seen 1 single example without ML. My point - sometimes even some optional things are always fitted, but it is definitely not the case for ML in IS with sat-nav, I would say only ~60% of cars with sat-nav also have ML.

• Like 2

I looked at a new car this week so asked about part ex for mine.

2008 IS250 SE-L 

All the toys and very well maintained. 2 keys

Black body, black leather interior 

Mot in October, 2 rears fitted in Oct 23, both fronts new in Jan (all Avons).

136k miles

Part ex offer = £1,800. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, chr15gb said:

Part ex offer = £1,800. 

That will sit in the dealers lot with a £3000 sticker. 

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2024 at 8:56 AM, Zorny182 said:

As Linas says - it could have Dynamic Radar Cruise Control which would make it quite special.

Printed on the cruise control stalk there would be a small image of a car next to the speedo image (page 142 in the manual) whereas cars without this fitted only have an image of the speedo printed on the stalk (page 139 in the manual). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H3XME said:

That will sit in the dealers lot with a £3000 sticker. 

I am surprised they even taking it, when I asked Lexus what they would give for mine when buying RC... they said "sorry sir we don't want to offend you with the offer... so we won't make it". 

Point is - yeah PX on 10+ years old car will be tragical and not worth considering.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I am surprised they even taking it, when I asked Lexus what they would give for mine when buying RC... they said "sorry sir we don't want to offend you with the offer... so we won't make it". 

Point is - yeah PX on 10+ years old car will be tragical and not worth considering.

Depends who it is. Bigger dealers will either do what yours did or take it and send it to the auctions. Smaller dealers will keep it on their lot. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, H3XME said:

Depends who it is. Bigger dealers will either do what yours did or take it and send it to the auctions. Smaller dealers will keep it on their lot. 

Yeah according to few Lexus salesman ANY car over 10 years old or 60k miles they send to auction, I know there are exceptions, but that is generally what they do.

In either case PX on 10+ years cars is horrible... and to be fair on any car that has value of under £10,000. Because PX always takes £2,000-3,000 of the market value, because dealer is including the costs, risk and some profit into the transaction. So if one is PX'in £20,000 worth car this may represent only 10% of the cost, but on £5,000 car that is 40% of the value. 

Besides it is would be difficult to sell £20,000 worth of car privately, but it is entirely possible to sell £4,000 worth of the car, so there is less reason to take cut on PX.

Dealers will take any car as a part ex if it means a sale. The mark-up on a car they put on covers the cost of a 'cheap' part ex.

Sorry to learn of your loss Zorny. I feel your pain and my father's been gone 10 years now.

Because you're selling the car I recommend you post some photos both external and interior. I'm sure even someone here would buy it. All the best to you and your siblings.

• Like 1

Got someone coming today to view it hopefully sell it as need to downgrade to manual as my son is learning to drive .once he  passes  will definitely get another one. Dealer's px priced at 4k against vw golf mk7 2018 but did get offer of  4600 from motorways 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Dealers will take any car as a part ex if it means a sale. The mark-up on a car they put on covers the cost of a 'cheap' part ex.

Sorry to learn of your loss Zorny. I feel your pain and my father's been gone 10 years now.

Because you're selling the car I recommend you post some photos both external and interior. I'm sure even someone here would buy it. All the best to you and your siblings.

They just would not take mine when I was buying RC. To be honest I expected £2000 PX for it, but that was was in 2019. 

Also I guess times maybe have changes slightly now, used cars seems to be in higher demand than they were in 2019.

Yeah things were different 2019 and before covid reared it's ugly head.

I've never bought a car privately. Always from a dealer. Worst loss was with my first ever Lexus. £5k after 5 weeks of ownership. Best was the car I part ex'd for. I didn't lose 1p on the deal. Didn't make anything either lol.

I will however make on my current car which I got below market value. It will be part ex'd for a Lexus when the time comes.

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yeah things were different 2019 and before covid reared it's ugly head.

I've never bought a car privately. Always from a dealer. Worst loss was with my first ever Lexus. £5k after 5 weeks of ownership. Best was the car I part ex'd for. I didn't lose 1p on the deal. Didn't make anything either lol.

I will however make on my current car which I got below market value. It will be part ex'd for a Lexus when the time comes.

Maybe it's time to sell privately now? I never had a loss on a private sale 

4 hours ago, H3XME said:

Maybe it's time to sell privately now? I never had a loss on a private sale 

Anything under £10,000 works well for private sales, anything over becomes harder as people tend to finance more expensive cars. I always sold private and never sold any money either, also usually it does not take long to sell if car is in decent shape. I guess the only benefit of PX is that you never have to deal with parking two cars or gap between selling 1 and getting another, but that is minor benefit compared to losing at least £2,000 of market value.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links