Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF CANBUS theft possible?

It seems from the LC thread that their cars are vulnerable, and the RX seems to be a popular target.

Anyone know if the RCF has e same issue?

A warning sign is insurance costs rocketing, so I'm pensive about renewal in September

It has CAN bus enabled headlights - whether the theft device being used specifically works on the RC F or if the wiring is easily accessible I don't know. I've not heard of anyone here reporting theft or attempted theft.

• Like 1

My renewal is in a weeks time. I'm getting charged £17 more than last year and I'm insuring a Lexus. I don't think the F range is of high target theft wise, so other than thefts in your area, etc, it won't go up because of your car.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers. I'm off to Lexus Chester today so will ask them the question too.

churchill refused to renew insurance on my ISF ( underwriters had banned them- no idea why? ) and cover cost was up from 470 to 670 pounds. I am keeping an eye on prices ready for going back on the road after SORN for winter. We will see if prices continue to rise.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, GMB said:

No mention of any IS models? Thankfully.🤔

I don’t believe the list is complete. The IS series III facelift should be there with the RC. 

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I don’t believe the list is complete. The IS series III facelift should be there with the RC

Maybe their list is just targeted at the UK only. Not many of those  series III  in the UK. I have never seen one.   Having said that I have never come across another ISF either😏

4 hours ago, GMB said:

churchill refused to renew insurance on my ISF ( underwriters had banned them- no idea why? ) and cover cost was up from 470 to 670 pounds. I am keeping an eye on prices ready for going back on the road after SORN for winter. We will see if prices continue to rise.

It would not surprise me if the insurers are seeing the news about Lexus thefts and bumping premiums on all Lexus models, whether they are vulnerable or not.

A salesman at Lexus Chester didn't appear knowledgeable, or that interested, in the situation.

2 hours ago, MNMJ said:

It would not surprise me if the insurers are seeing the news about Lexus thefts and bumping premiums on all Lexus models, whether they are vulnerable or not.

Of course, all in the name of "Greedflation"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNMJ said:

A salesman at Lexus Chester didn't appear knowledgeable, or that interested, in the situation

I get the impression that the staff have been told to keep schtum and play it down. I got the same reaction when I asked about the theft/ insurance problem at another Lexus dealer. I can't believe that they would not be aware of it.

I live in London and in the past 3 years 5 attempts were made to steal my car but failed, I just had to deal with the broken front side to get into the left headlight. If my premium goes up this year I would tell them this if it helps LOL

2 minutes ago, Hatat said:

I live in London and in the past 3 years 5 attempts were made to steal my car but failed, I just had to deal with the broken front side to get into the left headlight. If my premium goes up this year I would tell them this if it helps LOL

What year is your RCF? And when you say attempted, was there any damage done at all?

I am wondering why pre 08/2017 models are not listed in Lexus Newsletter, any clues from your experience?

Just now, BillNick said:

What year is your RCF? And when you say attempted, was there any damage done at all?

I am wondering why pre 08/2017 models are not listed in Lexus Newsletter, any clues from your experience?

2018 carbon package, only once as couldn't steal it they did a nasty scratch from the passenger side to the fuel tank very nasty one the other 4 times just they unlodge the bumper screws and as they couldn't steal left it that way.

I don't know mate about the pre 08/17 list but mine is 2018 so...

6 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Maybe the equipment they had wasn’t quite up to the job. Good they didn’t get it though.

They couldn't even unlock the car in all 5 attempts but even if they did I have Ghost immobiliser so they can't turn on the engine 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GMB said:

I get the impression that the staff have been told to keep schtum and play it down. I got the same reaction when I asked about the theft/ insurance problem at another Lexus dealer. I can't believe that they would not be aware of it.

Whilst sales were not helpful, the Lexus Chester service desk were all over it. I phoned to book an MoT service and they said they were fielding lots of calls after the BBC exposure. They have a metal plate solution for the RX (or NX, I can't recall) and are awaiting parts. They are doing those first and awaiting news from Lexus HQ about other models' vulnerability and fixes.

• Thanks 1

I've been looking into this, I believe the Lexus list of affected models is correct and therefore the RC F isn't vulnerable - it is different to the RC. Whilst it does have CAN bus connected headlights, they are on a different CAN bus from the Smart Key/Certification ECU and therefore you cannot inject signals to fool it into thinking the key has unlocked the vehicle.

Some initial thinking was there was a vulnerability on either the body ECU or gateway ECU which is allowing communication between two buses but all the listed affected vehicles have the headlight ECU directly connected to the same bus as the vehicle's Smart Key/Certification ECU which then unlocks the doors and communicates with the security ECU to turn off the alarm.

Certainly this is the case up to MY18 models, I've not seen diagrams for MY19 onwards yet but I doubt it was changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I've been looking into this, I believe the Lexus list of affected models is correct and therefore the RC F isn't vulnerable - it is different to the RC. Whilst it does have CAN bus connected headlights, they are on a different CAN bus from the Smart Key/Certification ECU and therefore you cannot inject signals to fool it into thinking the key has unlocked the vehicle.

Some initial thinking was there was a vulnerability on either the body ECU or gateway ECU which is allowing communication between two buses but all the listed affected vehicles have the headlight ECU directly connected to the same bus as the vehicle's Smart Key/Certification ECU which then unlocks the doors and communicates with the security ECU to turn off the alarm.

Certainly this is the case up to MY18 models, I've not seen diagrams for MY19 onwards yet but I doubt it was changed.

Agree, as with 5 attempts on my car none of them could open the car despite the fact I have an 18 carbon edition one. RCF models should be fine!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links