Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel motors - 2024 any options now?

My motors seized years ago and as the wheel was more or less where I would have left it anyway I wasn't bothered. Now, some years later I was wondering is there now anyone selling refurbished ones or is it a case of leaving it as I doubt getting new ones fitted would be cheap. I don't fancy breakers specials as I have had issues in the past with parts not quite as advertised so thought I would ask in case somebody does them now. 

I browse the forum posts fairly frequently and sadly never yet come across any thoughts to solve your problem inexpensively ……. 

Hope someone has for you 

Malc 

£330 incl shipping for both motors from Amayama, plus the duty and taxes. At a guess around £400 - £430 all in.
Some used motors on eBay are £100 + each so it’s not bad imo

3 hours ago, Jon Evans said:

Are you positive that both motors have seized? It could be the mechanism and the motors might be fine.

Hi Jon

In there a way to test? - My telescopic function does not work - I have tried push and pulling the steering whilst pressing the adjustment button but no luck - I know they have been replaced once in the lifetime of the car before.

It is quite difficult to get the motors out and even when you do, they will sometimes turn when not fitted and not turn when fitted due to the friction/load of the mechanism.
Unfortunately the motors get weak with age and need to be replaced.
With all of the plastic off you can turn the shafts that the motors attach to by hand if you need to position your steering but it is fiddly and slow.
I wouldn't waste money on motors from breakers as they may or may not work when under load (unless you get some kind of guarantee).
New they are about £200 per motor.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 12:00 PM, Jon Evans said:

Are you positive that both motors have seized? It could be the mechanism and the motors might be fine.

Yep - one motor gives an odd click but does nothing and when you hold the button in the other one is simply dead (fuses etc all checked) I won't be buying 2nd hand ones and as to date there does not seem to be anyone doing refurbs it looks like it will be new motors if I ever get the cash. My next issue would be to find somebody that could fit them and by the looks of it over here in Northern Ireland my only bet is the dealers. I will ask for a price as sometimes they are not as bad as people might think but being as they never answered my last query about a replacement seat cushion I won't be holding my breath. to be fair, for a car built in December 2005 those motors are the only parts not working, everything else still works (soft close doors, seatbelt height, seats themselves, soft close boot, air con, ML stereo, air vents etc.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I may be in luck here.

Yesterday the weather was quite warm and I just tried the telescopic function I could hear the motor trying to work.

So this could possibly be a stiff mechanism which needs lubrication.

Can anyone recommend the best thing to use for lubricating the moving parts? - I have some red grease in the garage - will this suffice?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links