Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I don’t currently own a Lexus but have been looking at the NX for a year or so, and was intending to order a 350h Premium Plus FWD when the MY25 model is revealed (hopefully soon).

I had a test drive in a 24-plate 350h Takumi AWD today which was very nice and confirmed the NX is the car for me, and the dealer was pushing AWD over FWD. This may have been just because there were more AWD models in stock.

Comparing FWD vs AWD models on the Lexus website shows that FWD is cheaper to buy, has better MPG, lower emissions therefore lower VED and less weight whereas AWD has better acceleration.

I also understand FWD allows front/rear tyres to be changed separately and has a bit less complexity.

I'd appreciate any feedback from NX owners on their real-world experiences & opinions of FWD and AWD.

Thanks

2 hours ago, IGR said:

Comparing FWD vs AWD models on the Lexus website shows that FWD is cheaper to buy, has better MPG, lower emissions therefore lower VED and less weight whereas AWD has better acceleration.

Thanks

Just note that only the first year (at time of registration) VED is cheaper - since April 2017 VED rates aren’t based on co2. It’s a fixed annual fee, and in the NXs case, as models are above £40k you’ll be paying the luxury rate - approx £600 per year. 

personally the savings with FWD are minuscule in the overall picture of purchase and running costs. 

Can't compare FWD against AWD as I've only ever owned AWD models (NX300h and NX450h+) but all I can say is that they were fantastic cars, totally reliable, relaxing to drive and very fuel efficient given the size and weight. 

• Like 1

AWD every time for me because it is more secure on the road,  usually has a very high spec & mpg hardly suffers.

Tel

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IGR said:

I also understand FWD allows front/rear tyres to be changed separately and has a bit less complexity.

Personally I'd go AWD for the extra performance. If that isn't a factor for you there are other reasons:

• I've not driven the FWD NX but 240 bhp just through the front wheels means it will struggle for grip on occasions if you put your foot hard down, and I suspect you will also get some torque steer. Moving 50 bhp to the rear will help here.
  • The AWD helps with traction and stability, it isn't just about acceleration.
  • The AWD system isn't a mechanical one with a centre diff so keeping all tyres at a consistent thread depth isn't critical - you can just replace front/rear tyres.
  • VED isn't based on emissions so there isn't a penalty here.

With the previous generation NX the FWD model was just an entry level grade so hardly any were sold. With the current generation you can get FWD across multiple grades but it still sells in very small numbers - less than 1 in 20. I suspect if you order one it will definitely be built to order with a long waiting time, whereas popular options are sometimes pre-ordered by Lexus GB to reduce wait times. Given the lack of popularity I'd also question resale value on the FWD models - although if you are purchasing on PCP or leasing this isn't a concern.

I have no experience with current FWD vs. AWD, but have driven new RAV-4 hybrid AWD, which has similar drivetrain to NX350h. Also I have driven last gen NX.

First thing - hybrids are not "true" AWD i.e. there is no drive shaft going to the rear, instead they have electric motor in the rear. So for most part there should be no difference in fuel consumption and how the car drives in straight line i.e. there is no drive train loses etc. Sure AWD model will be slightly heavier (maybe 40-50kg), but that would be really trivial impact.

Now as far as handling, AWD is surprisingly good, I hate how FWD cars drive with passion, but in NX AWD it really doesn't bother me, despite it basically being FWD car with extra motor tagged in the rear. This is because traction control is quite clever and rear motor acts almost like torque vectoring differential (actually probably exactly like it), so in corner exit and under acceleration car rotates nicely and doesn't understeer like FWD. So even thought it is obviously not sports car it doesn't have that FWD car feeling that I hate, sort of overloaded front axle, fidgeting steering under acceleration, it does actually feel for all intended purposes like well adjusted AWD system. Obviously, rear will never "step out" and it will never power slide, but it works well for reducing understeer and overall gives nice neutral balance.

As for drivability, obviously AWD will have an edge in mild offroad, slush, snow, mud etc. Not sure how much of that is relevant in Hampshire, but I was driving one in real winter conditions and in one occasion it literally made the difference between crashing and not crashing (long story, but I am quite convinced I would have crashed if I were in FWD), also it climbed steep slippery hill (be it in 3rd attempt and with some run-up), FWD would have stayed at the bottom of that hill. So that rear motor is not just for fun, it does it's job. If you planning just to drive it in the city or only on motorway, then perhaps it doesn't add much value, but in adverse weather conditions it does help.

Tyres shouldn't be a problem, also I believe it is square set-up so they can be rotated anyway. 

Finally, as mentioned most cars that are in UK and available to buy are AWD, so to get FWD you would need to make it to order, which kind negates any savings on purchase and would mean at least 3 months wait time. Lexus is known to be a company that does not negotiates the price, especially not on NX which are selling quite well anyway, but I guess if you make that proposition that you looking to buy FWD and would only consider AWD if the price is somewhat adjusted, then maybe it would work. For example I just looked at carwow and they reckon you can get AWD for better price than FWD. Meaning Lexus can discount some of the AWDs because they have them in UK, but they are not willing to discount FWDs because they would need to make them to order. I have no idea how carwow comes up with monthly payments (as it seems 450h+ would work out cheaper, maybe some government grand?), but it just shows that price difference between AWD and FWD does not exist in practice, which should also reflect to any pricing in dealership in person. 

image.thumb.png.c2e34debe7428052f3cdb1d25d399a8f.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have no idea how carwow comes up with monthly payments (as it seems 450h+ would work out cheaper, maybe some government grand?), but it just shows that price difference between AWD and FWD does not exist in practice, which should also reflect to any pricing in dealership in person. 

I would assume that the desirability of the 450h+ would produce a much higher residual value at the end of the contract compared with the 350h models. Thus the significantly lower monthly payments despite the probably higher interest charge of the original capital sum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xez said:

I would assume that the desirability of the 450h+ would produce a much higher residual value at the end of the contract compared with the 350h models. Thus the significantly lower monthly payments despite the probably higher interest charge of the original capital sum.

Indeed, my point was that it isn't explained how they come up with the price before you get the actual offer from dealer. Also probably higher deposit on top of higher residual, so the actual credit amount is not significantly larger.

And I am right to assume that all initiatives for BEV/PHEV are now over? Except of maybe charging point grant? And perhaps dealer own initiatives? 

You are correct that purchase incentives have been removed from BEV/PHEV vehicles. Dealers are still able to offer discount and pass on their manufacturer rebates to offer improved prices when it suits them as they approach their sales targets. Lexus still operates a dealer rather than agency structure, thus dealers can, and do, compete for business.

With regard to your point about the opaqueness of lease/PCP deals I would expect that the deposit and underlying interest rate charged within the calculation must be shown before committing to the deal. However as you say on a simple headline table as you provided it is quite possible that there are differences hidden beneath the surface.

Not adding much to the discussion, but I've always felt its a bit miserly and penny pinching working out tyre cost, miles per gallon and "I can change my own oil", after all you're buying at £40k+ luxury branded car!
Fill up when needed, replace tyres when they reach the legal limit, service as required. Enjoy your premium purchase and relax.

If I wanted to worry about all those trivial things I'm have bought a JAAAG, and an AA rescue subscription 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xez said:

You are correct that purchase incentives have been removed from BEV/PHEV vehicles. Dealers are still able to offer discount and pass on their manufacturer rebates to offer improved prices when it suits them as they approach their sales targets. Lexus still operates a dealer rather than agency structure, thus dealers can, and do, compete for business.

With regard to your point about the opaqueness of lease/PCP deals I would expect that the deposit and underlying interest rate charged within the calculation must be shown before committing to the deal. However as you say on a simple headline table as you provided it is quite possible that there are differences hidden beneath the surface.

The other factor now is the ZEV mandate. Manufacturers, and thus dealers, need to ensure 22% of their vehicles sold in the UK this year have an EV certificate credit. They can get a certificate by selling an EV, borrowing against a future year, buying certificates from other manufacturers (e.g. Tesla)… or earn partial credits by reducing their fleet emissions (as it’s the government, there’s of course a complex formula to work that out). This latter point helps PHEVs as their emissions are a quarter or less of a typical car now - so more incentives to sell PHEVs can be expected, just as manufacturers (including Lexus) are now offering ridiculous discounts on new EVs.

Every certificate (car) short of the 22% will cost the manufacturer £15k per vehicle - so there’s big money on the line. Much better to e.g. give a £8k PCP deposit contribution (as Honda have for their EV) or other discounts on PHEVs, than pay a £15k penalty later!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

If I wanted to worry about all those trivial things I'm have bought a JAAAG, and an AA rescue subscription 😂

I see many of those stuck on motorway every day and I always surprised how many cars are broken down... and as far as I know AA doesn't come quick unless you say you are woman with a child and stuck in the live lane. I have heard stories of people waiting even 8h before they come pick the car-up. 

• Sad 1

Thanks everyone for your comments - it really is appreciated.

I wasn't looking at FWD from a penny-pinching POV, more that on paper (screen?) there seemed to be more advantages with FWD than with AWD, hence my post asking for real-world input from actual NX drivers. I've always driven a FWD car and associate 4WD with off-roaders and rally cars - which the NX is neither (AFAIK)! I now appreciate that NX AWD is not true 4WD in the more traditional sense.

The dealer said there were no premium plus FWDs in stock in the country and only 1 AWD premium plus.

He had no details yet on the MY2025 updates but said production was due to start next month, so news should be out anytime soon.

Re: key fobs - still only get one + a blade, with up 6 months wait for the second fob. Locking wheel nuts/bolts are now available.

Thanks again.

Everyone knows that the NX,UX & LBX AWD Systems are Electronic & are controlled by the CPU.

10 Years ago the System had very limited instances when AWD was triggered but today it is far more sophisticated & is perfect for all On- Road conditions.

Fit All-Weather tyres & the above could venture across the Countryside fields with ease but Owners of the above vehicles are not interested in this potential Quality.

Tel

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links