Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ageing Ls400 original paintwork issues and thoughts please

My 95 Ls400 , now 29 years young, and my 91  Ls400 too, have both deteriorating factory finish paintwork 

The 91 car I know not it's bodywork history but it all looks pretty original'ish to me .....  bought her last August

My 95 car I have had some 13 years and 127k miles of it's nigh on 250k miles upcoming   ......  it's lived in Bournemouth before coming to Kent

The 95 car finish is rapidly deteriorating, as tho' paint mice are scouring it away   ...  a local buddy on here with 2 similar age Ls400s is also experiencing similar paintwork issues ....  and all over the past 12 months or so

Alongside this, my nephew's daughter ( Newmarket way )  has a recently bought 2ndhand 2007 Toyota summat or other and that too is showing similar paintwork deterioration 

My nephew's seen similar Toyota aged paintwork issues too he tells me

On the Ls400s I can appreciate that maybe the age factor just comes into play and we see this specifically, it stands out, coz we don't see many other such aged cars on the roads these days   ..  and if we do then maybe they've had paintwork repairs / resprays 

Anyone else with aged Toyota or Lexii have paintwork concerns worthy of note ?

Could it all be weather climate change pollution related maybe ?

Your thoughts are welcome  please 

Thanks

Malc

My 04 ls430 had some paint issues on the right roof edge and down to the right rear wing that looked like it had been etched. There were some other areas as well so I had my local garage who I have a good relation with repaint the whole car. I suppose after 20 years it should be expected. I'm very pleased with the result but need to get new bumper chrome strips as they are ageing badly.20240503_124440.thumb.jpg.6c15308f764c36c29cf833cae016f7e1.jpg

20240503_124425.jpg

• Like 2

My son in law resprays elderly cars professionally …… he’s being doing it for decades …… and asks me “ what can you expect at this age “   It’s quite normal and generally expected he advises on such aged original bodywork  
Cest le vie 

What I do know is the moment I spend £££££ on expensive bodywork issues there’ll be some almighty wallop to undo the good ……. not sure I want to tempt providence tbh 🤔

Malc 

• Like 1

That looks amazing Mark, mirror finish, they've done a great job! 👍 I'm potentially exploring a respray, what's the ballpark for something like this?

• Like 1

I’m not at all surprised ……. Paintwork is extremely expensive …….. my son-in-law has just acquired a 1950’s VW Beetle he loves and lovingly restored the paintwork, the owner died and his widow didn’t want to pay the bill to the classic car restorers he works for ! 
They restore RR Bentleys ancient Mercs Astons and all else and the “ yard” is always full of “ top end “ limos with worn out paint finishes 

Malc 

The biggest destroyer of paint is the Sun and if you keep your car under cover most of its life the paint will last like new as on my 98 ls400 .It is garaged when not in use and the paintwork is showroom quality and the only treatment as been wash with holts wash and wax as long as I have owned it apart from the occasional polish with turtle wax.

When I used to stay in Florida for the winter any car more than a decade old was paintfaded some to the extent of patches of bare metal showing. the interiors fared worst with faded upholstery and cracked dashboard with destroyed vinyl surfaces hence the prolific use of windscreen sunguards .

With regards to resprays it is probably more than the value of the car upto £4k for a proper job.

• Like 1

Could wrapping be an option? its not only used for the tuning scene to create bizarre colors but can well replicate original paint colors. Cheaper than a respray i think?

• Like 1

my 250k miles N reg Ls400 is possibly worth about  zilch £££££ tbh   ..... although she's in great mechanical condition and drives amazingly well .... always properly serviced etc

the J reg one is in much better fare paintwise at just over the 100k miles mark and has had a little paintwork tlc that I can discerne ........  again cost me about £1200 + £166 new Battery and £250 servicing MOT etc when I bought her last August ........  again probably not worth spending much on the paintwork 

These are amazing cars and will keep going forever and a day ....  i just have to think that money spent on paintwork, say £10k for them both might be money better spent somewhere else

I was tempted to buy a 2000 year Mk4 that's been well kept at about £4500 and 170k miles  BUT she indoors would go nuts at yet another Ls400 around 

Getting attached to cars is a bit stupid I know BUT when they just never let you down, unlike modern electrical issues on newer cars, then maybe I should just stay put with them till they have to go ..  write-off accident whatever !

A tiny knock I know will get the insurers agitated .......  even with the X reg Ls400 that's been offered for sale on here recently ...  they write cars off for tiny bodywork issues

Spending anything like £4/5k - 10k is possibly a bit silly for me ..........   I know I would be happy to just do a 5000 mile trip in either car, just checking the levels, tyre pressures etc before I go  AND I know I'd be a bit fearsome of that journey in absolutely any other car, even a new Lexus whatever 

WRAPPING has been spoken of on here before  ......  anyone a real ball park £££££ figure maybe ? 

I suspect it's going to be silly money again !

Lucky I'm not a car nut needing uptodate models whatever ......  long back I owned a car sales business in Kent and even then couldn't understand why people wanted to buy one of our great 2ndhand cars when they were p/ex'ing their own, usually perfectly good car too 🤔

Ho hum !

Malc

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

It is garaged when not in use and the paintwork is showroom quality

ah you see, all my cars are in every other-daily use and never been garaged .....  it's only this past 12 month that this bad paint effect has manifested ......  climate and pollution possibly having that cumulative bad effect maybe   .........  i wonder if it's all getting much worse !

Malc

It really depends on what is causing the deterioration.
Most cars have a clearcoat that peels or flakes off, or can separate from the paint layer giving a milky appearance.
These issues can be fixed by careful sanding of the clearcoat and the application of new clearcoat, but as stated this is a lot of work and will cost lots, even if it is cheaper than a full respray.

I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend and how badly the current condition makes you feel.
Personally I am happy to drive around in a scabby looking car so long as it runs well and is comfy.
Others get upset over the slightest blemish.
Vive la difference!! :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the classicscarforsale website and there's a boootiful looking P reg Mk3, with 228k miles BUT clearly showing paintwork shedding it's lacquer coats ( or more )  Door and rear wings etc.

Wot to do eh to get back to impossible perfection ....  or nay !  🤔

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

For a gloss single colour full ca4 wrap £3500-ish but you can have individual parts wrapped. So, if it's just your roof that is manky, just have that wrapped. You won't get a good colour match so best to go for a complimentary colour.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links