Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

another prospective owner - few q's

Hi all,

After a few years of looking enviously at them everytime I see one, I'm finally considering an IS200 to replace my MKIV golf. I'm after, primarily, a car that's comfortable and refined. The golf has been good in this area, but has disappointed in others, particularly in terms of build quality.

I'm off to testdrive an IS200 this Saturday. My main concern is that the car which the dealer users as a demonstrator, and which I will be driving, is the sport model. I believe that this has a lowered suspension. My question is, does this suspension feel radically different to the S and SE models? As I'm concerned with comfort rather than cornering ability (all models are surely better at cornering than my wallowy golf!), I'm a bit worried that I'll drive the sport and find it too firm, hence being put off when the SE is in fact a little more pliant.

On a similar topic, I'm also interested to hear whether the base S model with its slightly smaller tires is noticeably quieter and gives a less firm ride than the SE?

Any answers to these questions would be great and much appreciated as I do think it is going to be tricky for me to test drive all three models.

One last question if I may! If I go ahead, I'm quite sure I'll choose black or silver. I think the black looks more aggressive, the silver slightly more smooth - I'm sure it's to do with the fact that the lights/wheels blend in with the silver, and contrast strongly with the black.

Does anyone have any opinions on one colour over the other, particularly in terms of resale and durability? I read with interest some of the posts stating that perhaps black may take more looking after.

Many thanks for any replies.

Cheers,

David

UK

Hi David

I too swapped in a Golf GTi for the IS. Like you I found the Golf quality had deteriorated (the last one I had was my 4th!!)

My wife found the ride quality of the Golf to be harsh as at crashed and bumped down the road, and yet despite the "firm" suspension it wouldnt go round corners without feeling like it was scrapping its mirrors on the road.

Anyway, I went for the SE, I would have liked the Sport but was worried about the lower suspension, having had sports suspension on the Golf. At the time I felt the extra spec of the SE over the S was worthwhile ( bigger wheels ,seat facings etc)

My wife says the IS is the most comfortable car we have owned, so on that basis the SE was the right choice for me, but I expect other members will have their own views. I dont drive the car hard very often and a lot of my driving is on motorways and A roads so I dont miss that extra tautness, prefering the "softer" ride.

In the end the hardest thing for me was choosing the colour!!!

Good luck

Hi David,

I went from a Proton Satria GTi to an IS200 SE back in November last year. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

Like Blue Thunder, I don't push the car hard very often (but I love the sound when I do!) and I find the car to be much more comfortable than I was expecting, especially with the lower profile tyres.

I used to have a BMW 523 as a company car and have to say that I prefer the IS200 in terms of driving experience (and equipment levels too, obviously).

I agree with tivoa - any dark car will need looking after. Mine's in Granite Sky so even leaving the car for a while shows up the dust that collects. Ho hum.

I find the driving position to be very comfortable and the car isn't tiring at all for me on long journies. I took the Proton to Edinburgh and back last year and had to take four of five stops each way just to get away from it for a few minutes. A trip to York earlier this year was executed with much less pain!!

Best of luck with the test drive. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Pete

David,

I'm afraid I can't add any comparisons as I have only ever driven the 'S' model. But what I can say is that you won't be disappointed. I sometimes wish I'd holded out a bit longer and got an SE but that's purely because I want bigger wheels (maybe upgrade myself later). Good luck in deciding and enjoy.

Trev.

the new sport models have a drop of 15mm so i dont think that there will a great difference in normal everyday driving, with regards to the S and SE wheels there is a difference in ride quality - SE is stiffer as for road noise it all depends on the road surface - but I do know that the bridgestones are quieter than the dunlops. - if the dealer is serious and interested in you as a potential customer then there shouldnt be a prob with having a test drive on all 3. With regards to the colour, the darker colours are harder to look after as they show all the marks etc but when it is clean its as if ur looking in a mirror, on the silver you can have a lot of dust/dirt and it doesnt look to bad also when you get the paint chips they are not that obvious, whichever colour you get i would suggest having a look into a product called X-pel - its a clear plastic film that goes on the front edge of the bonnet - since i fitted mine i have only had 1 chip in 2 years, would easily recomend it to anyone without hesitation.

Come to think of it, last time my car was in for work, the loan car was an S, I didnt think about it till I got my car back, dont get me wrong the S is a fine car, but I do love my SE. It does seem to drive and handle so much better I guess beacause of the bigger wheels. If you can afford to hold out for the SE (or Sport if you like the suspension)

hi tivoa. i ordered my IS200SE in june and its arriving on 1st september on new reg'. (29 days left):D

there is'nt much difference in handling between SE and SPORT. i preferred the SE because they wanted £3529 insurance premium on the sport rather than the £2440 on the SE. i only liked the sport because of the tinted windows and lower stance but im tinting the windows in black faded into gold the week i get it and will probably drop it 25mm at the front and 15mm at the back in january.

black is the hardest colour to keep clean but it looks the best when it is clean!!

go for it mate, which one you have its up 2 u(try get the SE or SPORT) it wont dissapoint!

Hi,

Thanks very much for all the excellent (and quick) replies!

BlueThunder - interesting to hear you say you're also a bit disappointed with your Golf. I've had mine from new, soon after the Mk IV's came out. The main thing I feel let down with is the quality of the interior - it's certainly very nice in terms of quality of the components and plastics, but now the interior rattles, squeaks and makes noises like you just would not believe. I'm hoping an IS200 will be better in that regard. On top of the that, the dealer has been absolutely abysmal.

Fluff... interesting to hear you say one set of tires is quieter than an other. Do the different models come with different makes?

Thanks to everyone else who replied too - sounds like maybe the SE is the way to go if I decide to get one. Looking forward to the test drive tomorrow!

Cheers,

David

Hi,

I originally ordered the SE with a couple of extras - the boot spoiler and chrome exhaust trim. In the end I held out and went for the Sport. I don't notice anything majorly difference in terms of it being lowered and ultimately went for the Sport because it's a bit nippier and I preferred the interior.

I definitely recommend either the SE or Sport and both will be a marked difference over the Golf with drive and comfort.

Good luck choosing! I went for the Sapphire Blue and am forever washing it :rolleyes:

I might upset a few sport owners here - I apologise if i do!

I have owned both a sport and an SE (My curent car) to be honest, if i were buying from new i would buy an SE any day! I know the differences between the two models - but I dont notice them, I now almost anyone else on the road probably doesn't know that there are 2 versions let alone 3.

I don't think the price difference is justifiable (except in the case of an IS300 of course :) )

Anyway - glad to see another conversion to class - which ever model you choose!

And I do still like Sports everyone - honest!!!! :P

I got the S so that I could get a slightly newer car with less miles for my money.

Its seems to roll a little more on cornering compared to an SE courtesy car I had. Perhaps that was just that the suspension hadn't worn in yet on the SE or they've changed it slightly since mine was built - it's a Jan 2000.

I don't miss any of the SE toys just the larger alloys. The ones on the S do seem to stay cleaner longer being less open but if I was buying again now I'd get an SE. If I keep mine a while then I might just stick some different alloys on.

Hi David,

Welcome to the club ... I agree with everything thats been said, the darker colours are harder to keep clean, but the alloys ..... oh, the alloys ..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

When they are clean (and it does take a while to get them spotless) - they are what sets the car apart from everything else ... with a dark colour you get a great contract.

I have lost count of the number of times that the alloys have been admired by both pedestrians and fellow motorists ..

Go for the SE if you can - you won't regret it (and the seats are fine and warm in the winter!!!)

Enjoy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links