Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yeah Lexus's are lovely cars, easy to drive, well refined, and quiet, yet quick enough when you feel you've got extra fuel to burn and want to have a blast round. But i have to say i prefer the MK1 GS300's to the MK2 models, don't like the square backend of the MK2 or the front, the MK1 is rounded, has flush door handles and imo, the exterior is nicer. Although of course I wouldn't mind a mk2 gs300 should i ever have the chance of finding a low mileage one like the one i have in three or four years time

:) I agree although i would love a mk2 GS430 ,still working on the wife as she wants to go back to audi and buy the 1.8 turbo :crybaby: .

Mudsz, get one you know you want to :D

My dad has a gs430 sport, goes like :tsktsk: off a shovel so to speak, but they aren't the most fuel efficient cars in the world, my dad usually averages 13 mpg to 21 mpg on a good run, and thats with moderate driving, also as i understand it the fuel tanks are in fact smaller than the MK1 GS300 Sport, since they moved it below the rear seats.

They are gorgeous cars to drive and the traction and vehicle stability control are well worth having, without them that lexus is just a wheelspinning monster, the interior is nicer aswell, bit more room in the back for passengers, better than a 1.8T audi

I think the new GS300 sport MK2 would be a nice car to have with the e-shift buttons on the steering wheel, so you can use it as a semi automatic instead, they don't come on the gs430 sports. I'd wait until the MK3 GS comes out in march/april time, as prices for MK2's are going to drop, although so are the MK1's, although they couldn't get much lower, loads of equipment for relatively low money already :yawn:

:) Interesting to learn of your problems with the key fob so i've been experimenting at different locations. The average distance is between 35 and 40 metres and yes the boot has a better range. Mine is a GS300 MKII sport 98, unmodified and the original fob.

My MK1 was never as good as this !

My dad has a gs430 sport, goes like  :tsktsk:  off a shovel so to speak, but they aren't the most fuel efficient cars in the world, my dad usually averages 13 mpg to 21 mpg on a good run, and thats with moderate driving

that seems too low.

My average is currently about 17mpg - and thats only because at the moment I am doing all small journeys, tickling around town type driving.

On the motorway its not too bad at all - can easily get 26mpg, including some hard acceleration (joing the motorway, overtaking type manouevres).

Mudsz, get one you know you want to  :D

My dad has a gs430 sport, goes like  :tsktsk:  off a shovel so to speak, but they aren't the most fuel efficient cars in the world, my dad usually averages 13 mpg to 21 mpg on a good run, and thats with moderate driving, also as i understand it the fuel tanks are in fact smaller than the MK1 GS300 Sport, since they moved it below the rear seats.

They are gorgeous cars to drive and the traction and vehicle stability control are well worth having, without them that lexus is just a wheelspinning monster, the interior is nicer aswell, bit more room in the back for passengers, better than a 1.8T audi

I think the new GS300 sport MK2 would be a nice car to have with the e-shift buttons on the steering wheel, so you can use it as a semi automatic instead, they don't come on the gs430 sports. I'd wait until the MK3 GS comes out in march/april time, as prices for MK2's are going to drop, although so are the MK1's, although they couldn't get much lower, loads of equipment for relatively low money already :yawn:

if i go for one i will deffo wait until the new gs comes out ,the only thing that niggles me is the resale value of mine as they realy have gone down in price over the last year or so and the car has been so good i would be stupid to let it go for silly money when it has so much more left in it .i have had it for over two years now and all i have done is four tyres and a Battery and that is in 22,000 miles ,never had a car that has been that reliable :)

Dang, if i'd hung on til the new gs series came out, i could've had yours. Was after one in that metallic green colour with grey leather, but you don't see them often, ah well, got a decent one now anyway, so i'm happy :D

P.S. i think my dad must have a heavy foot, come to think of it, not sure if it wasn't 15 mpg he got as the lowest :unsure:

Hi all,

Last sunday I purchased a 1997 GS300 Sport with 54k miles 2 previous owners, full lexus service history except the 1000 mile service, and the cambelt has already been replaced at 42k miles, so not got many problems with it.

Although I have to be within 2 meters of the car in order for the remote alarm fob to work, is this normal? I've changed the battery in the keyfob for a brand new Duracell CR2025 battery, but it's made no difference. I always thought they had a longer range than that. Is there an aerial on the alarm somewhere that might have come lose on mine?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

There's absolutely nothing to worry about... here's a quote from the owners handbook (Mk1 GS300):

"The operational range of the wireless remote control is approximately 1 meter (3 feet) from the outside handle of the drivers door. The effective range may vary with different conditions." :geek:

Tony.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links