Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Automatic Headlamp Adjusters

Here's an unusual one.

I leave my headlamps on 'auto' all the time. When I stop the car and turn of fthe ignition, the headlamps lights remain on until I open the door. Normal so far.

About a month ago, I turned off my ignition and could hear a loud vibrating sounds coming from the engine bay. But when I got out of the car to check it, the noise stopped. It didnt take me long to suss out that the noise was linked to the headlamps - that is, the noise stops when the lights go out.

So, leaving the engine running, I got out, lifted the bonnet and discovered that a small black box on the back of the offside headlamp cluster was the culprit. I'm lead to believe that this is the automatic headlamp adjuster (about the size of a fag packet).

If I wiggle it, the noise sometimes stops. But even weirder, I can get the noise to stop by fiddling with the bulb holder (simply twist it back and forth) even without touching the adjuster.

The problem is consistent - it happens every time my lights are on. Currently, I am choosing to ignore it as there appear to be no adverse affects - but really I need to fix it.

Anyone seen (heard?) this before?

I have the little knob to adjust but no auto setting :S

Talking about the auto on/off, not auto-adjustment.

The (manual) adjuster is faulty and buzzing but it stops (of course) when the lights go off.

Only HID lamps have auto-adjustment.

I had a very similar problem with my 200 Sport. Basically, when I switched the ignition off the headlights would stay on (even when they weren't on Auto), and a loud buzzing noise would come from the fuse box under the bonnet. Pulling out the large pale blue relay switch in the box would stop it. So I spent days popping the bonnet and unplugging this every time I left the car so I wouldn't end up with a flat Battery :blush: .

I took it it Lexus Glasgow who said they'd come across it before. It was caused by dampness getting in at the passenger's footwell and corroding something which I forget now. So they replaced it and reproofed the area all under warranty, and I never had the problem again.

Off subject a little, do IS300 owners have problems with their lights. I've just come in and have been flashed by nearly all oncoming vehicles and hand signals from cars that I've been following obviously complaining about my lights which are in the low beam position. I do find that they do seem to be higher sometimes, leaving a dark area of about 1.5 metres in front of the car. I have taken this up with my local dealer but they say that all is OK. Is there a manual adjustment somewhere so that I can sort out the problem.

Off subject a little, do IS300 owners have problems with their lights. I've just come in and have been flashed by nearly all oncoming vehicles and hand signals from cars that I've been following obviously complaining about my lights which are in the low beam position. I do find that they do seem to be higher sometimes, leaving a dark area of about 1.5 metres in front of the car. I have taken this up with my local dealer  but they say that all is OK. Is there a manual adjustment somewhere so that I can sort out the problem.

There's a sensor on the rear suspension that you can adjust to compensate if the car's lowered etc - I think you can see it inside the wheelarch (but I've not looked myself).

May be worth checking that it's not loose or got damp in the connectors.

I find all HID lights to be over bright. It always seems like their brights are on and can be painful to look at. While its good for the driver as they can see more the other vehicles (like me) are dazzled. Not really safe :S you can see but if the others cant they may still hit you.

If HIDs are adjusted correctly they won't dazzle oncoming traffic. The auto leveling is a requirement for this reason. I find I get dazzled much more by standard lights due to people putting weight in the boot and not adjusting the level setting.

Haven't sussed the cause of the noise yet. Doubt if it linked to the fuse box as I'd expect the nearside adjuster to play up too if that was the case. More likely a dodgy adjuster. Had a fiddle with it yesterday but can't work out how to get the adjuster off the back of the headlamp unit - appears to be a twist and pull jobby but it won't pull out.

I thought I'd ask Lexus dealer how much a replacement part is - they want £92 + VAT!! Sod that. Took the easy route - unplugged the damn thing until I can find time to get the wife to fiddle with the switch while I see what the adjuster is doing (tried getting my three-year old to help yesterday when the wife was out - not a good idea!)

If it is faulty, just wondering how many IS200's have turned up at breakers yards so far!

• 2 years later...
I had a very similar problem with my 200 Sport. Basically, when I switched the ignition off the headlights would stay on (even when they weren't on Auto), and a loud buzzing noise would come from the fuse box under the bonnet. Pulling out the large pale blue relay switch in the box would stop it. So I spent days popping the bonnet and unplugging this every time I left the car so I wouldn't end up with a flat battery :blush: .

I took it it Lexus Glasgow who said they'd come across it before. It was caused by dampness getting in at the passenger's footwell and corroding something which I forget now. So they replaced it and reproofed the area all under warranty, and I never had the problem again.

I had a very similar problem with my 200 Sport. Basically, when I switched the ignition off the headlights would stay on (even when they weren't on Auto), and a loud buzzing noise would come from the fuse box under the bonnet. Pulling out the large pale blue relay switch in the box would stop it. So I spent days popping the bonnet and unplugging this every time I left the car so I wouldn't end up with a flat battery :blush: .

Whoops, try again.

I don't know if you're still reading this forum 4 years on but just to let you know your post has helped me. Found my headlights on the other night while car was in the drive and locked up for the night - heard a buzzing that i traced to the Headlamp relay. However I couldn't get it out - your post gave me the courage to pull harder, an helped confrim my diagnosis. Thanks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links